-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

5 hours ago, khay said:

Timo Meier's production sticks out to me. He has become a PWF. When the Sharks drafted him 9th overall after mere 91 points in QMJHL, I wondered what they saw in him. But man the Sharks are good at drafting. Whenever they draft in top 10, they get a stud. The kid even looks like Roger Federer to me now.

I think Petey will be more like Pastrnak than Barzal. Barzal's first year production was due to Tavares taking on harder minutes. On the contrary, EP achieved .93 PPG without anyone really sheltering for him. I expect PPG from him this season, around 80-90 points.

He had 70% ozone starts....

Now I agree, I don't see a drop as he'll likely see similar deployment and the team around him (on paper anyway) is also improved. But to say he wasn't sheltered....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He had 70% ozone starts....

Now I agree, I don't see a drop as he'll likely see similar deployment and the team around him (on paper anyway) is also improved. But to say he wasn't sheltered....

Ah, I meant sheltered as in going against easier opponents. Tavares drew the best dmen and best forwards, allowing Barzal to do his stuff. Even on PP, I think Barzal and Tavares were on the same PP but the opponents would have to guard Tavares, which frees up Barzal on the PP to make plays.

EP had a lot of ozone starts but he drew the opposition's best forwards/defence, especially starting from around 1/3 way in to the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Ah, I meant sheltered as in going against easier opponents. Tavares drew the best dmen and best forwards, allowing Barzal to do his stuff. Even on PP, I think Barzal and Tavares were on the same PP but the opponents would have to guard Tavares, which frees up Barzal on the PP to make plays.

EP had a lot of ozone starts but he drew the opposition's best forwards/defence, especially starting from around 1/3 way in to the season.

Don't think that's entirely truthful either.

Haven't looked at any cold, hard numbers but on the road, its quite likely he saw his fair share of the oppositions better match up/shut down guys but Green, from what I recall, fed him as many ozone starts and lesser competition as he reasonably could. Just as we would have sent out Hovat and Beagle's lines against opposing teams better lines (and Sutter for the 3 games he was healthy :lol: ).

Make no mistake, he was most definitely sheltered, as much as Green could with Sutter's injury. By all means as he continues to get older, stronger and wiser, not to mention Boeser having a proper off season of training AND the stellar addition of Miller, that line should require less sheltering over time (one of the reasons Sutter likely becomes expendable as soon as this year). But Green's always going to lean towards somewhat sheltered deployment for his better offensive players, just as AV did with the Sedins. It simply makes too much sense to put your best offensive players in better offensive situations while allowing your better defensive players to take the wear and tear of furnishing those offensive situations.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't think that's entirely truthful either.

Haven't looked at any cold, hard numbers but on the road, its quite likely he saw his fair share of the oppositions better match up/shut down guys but Green, from what I recall, fed him as many ozone starts and lesser competition as he reasonably could. Just as we would have sent out Hovat and Beagle's lines against opposing teams better lines (and Sutter for the 3 games he was healthy :lol: ).

Make no mistake, he was most definitely sheltered, as much as Green could with Sutter's injury. By all means as he continues to get older, stronger and wiser, not to mention Boeser having a proper off season of training AND the stellar addition of Miller, that line should require less sheltering over time (one of the reasons Sutter likely becomes expendable as soon as this year). But Green's always going to lean towards somewhat sheltered deployment for his better offensive players, just as AV did with the Sedins. It simply makes too much sense to put your best offensive players in better offensive situations while allowing your better defensive players to take the wear and tear of furnishing those offensive situations.

Right. But I see that as the coach exploiting a match up advantage for playing at home rather than sheltering a player. I understand that it is a form  sheltering a player (from defensive assignments) but the point that I wanted to make was that EP was not sheltered from offensive responsibilities. For example, if you go on the ice after Tavares, when you have a bad game, the team can still win. If you step on the ice after Tavares, your responsibility to score is far less. If you are the go-to guy and you don't score, you lose. EP had to handle that responsibility all throughout the season. To me, that's not sheltering a player (from offensive assignments). This is why I think EP will not see a dip in his production.

But I do agree that he was sheltered from defensive assignments so that he can do more scoring. The same way that the Sedins were sheltered from defensive assignments so that their minutes can be used on scoring. Others can defend. But then, how many offensive forwards are not "sheltered"? Crosby, Bergeron, Toewes, Horvat... Mostly the 200 ft, two way players I guess. Even Gretzky would have been sheltered from defensive assignments if he played now.

And, in my opinion, high ozone start is only an indirect evidence of sheltering rather than it being an hard indicator of sheltering. Most of the game is played in a continuous manner so when EP steps on the ice for a line change, the opposition will send out the best they got, even when we are at home. So using a high ozone start to say that he rarely had to see the opposition's best at home is not quite true. And even when he gets ozone start, unless it's an icing, he would still see the best of the opponent.

• Upvote 4

Pettersson had his sophomore slump in the last third of his first year.  Fatigue with the long season must have played a role, but the league waking up to his threat and playing him tighter was also a big factor.  Petey will have to adapt to the tight checking. How well he adapts will determine whether he becomes a superstar or not.

• Hydration 2

26 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Despite his low weight, Petey's arms look pretty good.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Despite his low weight, Petey's arms look pretty good.

I was thinking that myself. This kid is going to be something special if he keeps adding power to that frame of his.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

I was thinking that myself. This kid is going to be something special if he keeps adding power to that frame of his.

For sure he didn’t have that muscle last season 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol is that brock or a brockleganger?

Wondering the same. This question needs to be answered.

Posted (edited)

Have to admit, I enjoy seeing Saskatchewan hockey programs teaching “the Elias Pettersson breakaway forehand backhand move”:

Petey’s already such a legend. :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to admit, I enjoy seeing Saskatchewan hockey programs teaching “the Elias Pettersson breakaway forehand move”:

Those kids are friggin’ amazing!  Their hands are so fast.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to admit, I enjoy seeing Saskatchewan hockey programs teaching “the Elias Pettersson breakaway forehand backhand move”:

Hockey's version of the cross over.  Michael Jordan of hockey confirmed. 

• Haha 1

The way I see it, now the Canucks can put either JT Miller or Ferland on Pettersson's wing and all of a sudden, he has a lot more space to create plays, Either of them can protect Petey much better than hs wings last year. This alone makes me think Pettersson will have a better year this year. I just hope this year Green will be will be more inclined to split up Petey and Boeser every now and then. At least then Petey won't be looking for Boeser for the shot so much at the tail end of last season and actually take the shot himself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ineither case they got some more power up front and thats a huge difference compared to last year. more options if all players can stay healthy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smokes said:

The way I see it, now the Canucks can put either JT Miller or Ferland on Pettersson's wing and all of a sudden, he has a lot more space to create plays, Either of them can protect Petey much better than hs wings last year. This alone makes me think Pettersson will have a better year this year. I just hope this year Green will be will be more inclined to split up Petey and Boeser every now and then. At least then Petey won't be looking for Boeser for the shot so much at the tail end of last season and actually take the shot himself.

Add in D that will be far better at moving the puck up to them and I'm quite excited for this coming season!

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Add in D that will be far better at moving the puck up to them and I'm quite excited for this coming season!

Really looking forward to seeing this. I believe the D will be able to move the puck better, good zone exits and with players like Hughes and Juolevi, who move the puck so well, the Canucks might spend a lot of time in the o-zone, especially with Pettersson and Boeser on the ice. I had the SWE-FIN Worlds game on PVR that I watched this past weekend. I forgot how great Pettersson is defensively as well. Always able to get back, get his stick to disrupt the play, and get the puck out of the zone. He makes it look easy, but it's pretty special how he does that.   

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really looking forward to seeing this. I believe the D will be able to move the puck better, good zone exits and with players like Hughes and Juolevi, who move the puck so well, the Canucks might spend a lot of time in the o-zone, especially with Pettersson and Boeser on the ice. I had the SWE-FIN Worlds game on PVR that I watched this past weekend. I forgot how great Pettersson is defensively as well. Always able to get back, get his stick to disrupt the play, and get the puck out of the zone. He makes it look easy, but it's pretty special how he does that.   

Myers is also pretty good at moving the puck as well.