The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

^^ so does this actually make Elias half Finnish, half Swedish?

Best of both worlds?

He's got the hard working, gritty effort of a Fin (Laine excluded)

He's got the sweet, heavenly skill of a Swede

Could be 1/4 Finnish if only that grandfather was Finnish.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, Mrwipeout said:

As much as i like Huggybear i still got to admit, Makar has impressed me too. Great all over the ice. Dont think hes as good as QH on the PP though :P

No, Makar isn't as good as Hughes in most categories other than his amazing shot.  

But goals trump all.  

Both amazing players and the race is very close.  

My big question is their play without the puck.  Who is better at actual defence.  I haven't seen Makar long enough to five an assessment, but Hughes is very impressive as a rookie.  

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Has 32 points, but 17 of them on the Powerplay. 

Hope at some point his 5v5 game takes off and able to start generating more 5v5.  He seems like he is on the edge of breaking out, and certainly will help when Sutter and Beagle comeback.

I think 5v5 game will take off once the team builds up chemistry. I see quite a few times where puck gets dumped in when EP is available for a pass.

EP look frustrated... as if to say, "Damn it, why did you dump it in!! I was open, pass me the puck! I could have walked in and have taken a slapshot!" But being a Swede, he will never say it to that player.

19 hours ago, khay said:

I think 5v5 game will take off once the team builds up chemistry. I see quite a few times where puck gets dumped in when EP is available for a pass.

EP look frustrated... as if to say, "Damn it, why did you dump it in!! I was open, pass me the puck! I could have walked in and have taken a slapshot!" But being a Swede, he will never say it to that player.

Yes this has been my general impression while watching Elias as Vancouver. Apart from not wanting to say something. Either you see a pass or you dont. It seldom about not wanting it. But a few quality line mates and a bit more swagger is what Elias needs. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

You don't consider Miller and Boeser as quality linemates for Petey?:huh:

Quality linemates for sure. Boeser and Petey think the game similarly. But for Miller, he thinks it differently from EP. Although, EP seemed to have learned to dump the puck in smartly and that sometimes, dumping it in is the best option and in that regard, may they need someone like Miller (i.e., they need someone who think and plays differently from them to compliment their game). But EP probably wishes Miller would try to make plays rather than dumping it in because it is squandering the puck. For a big body player like Miller, he probably sees no problem going after it and taking it back but for Petey, it probably feels like an unnecessary use of energy and shortens the shift? 

I'm just guessing from watching EP's reactions when puck gets dumped in. There was few times where he looked frustrated, like banging the stick on the ice (but I'm not sure if it was Miller that caused that reaction).

19 hours ago, khay said:

Quality linemates for sure. Boeser and Petey think the game similarly. But for Miller, he thinks it differently from EP. Although, EP seemed to have learned to dump the puck in smartly and that sometimes, dumping it in is the best option and in that regard, may they need someone like Miller (i.e., they need someone who think and plays differently from them to compliment their game). But EP probably wishes Miller would try to make plays rather than dumping it in because it is squandering the puck. For a big body player like Miller, he probably sees no problem going after it and taking it back but for Petey, it probably feels like an unnecessary use of energy and shortens the shift? 

I'm just guessing from watching EP's reactions when puck gets dumped in. There was few times where he looked frustrated, like banging the stick on the ice (but I'm not sure if it was Miller that caused that reaction).

Don't know if you've noticed but NHL teams are pretty good defending their zone/holding their line/maintaining gap. Carrying the puck in is not always an option. In fact, quite frequently it's a bad one (that's more likely to lead to a turnover the other way).

Dumping the puck in also puts pressure on their D, having to turn, and if you're following a dump in correctly, taking physical abuse in an to attempt to retrieve it. It also somewhat helps disrupt positioning as their defending forwards who have to start to chase rather than necessarily stay in their preferred formation. That can open gaps in coverage to exploit.

Now by all means, that's not to say that carrying the puck in, with possession, is not preferable. It's simply frequently not a good option.

If anything, from what I've read about Pettersson, I'd imagine any frustration is likely at his own ability in that moment to make a better play/better read/elude coverage (that's been far more of a wet blanket than last year) etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, khay said:

Disagree, Miller and Petey have been great together. Petey dumps and chases in games as well, as does the rest of the team. It's not only Miller, it's the team as a collective.

It's Boeser that's been holding the line back at times. Poor passing, bad hockey plays, at times slow. This coming from a huge Boeser fan. Imo move Brock to Bo's line and put Gauds or Virtanen their for now. Podz could be the best fit their in the long term.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't know if you've noticed but NHL teams are pretty good defending their zone/holding their line/maintaining gap. Carrying the puck in is not always an option. In fact, quite frequently it's a bad one (that's more likely to lead to a turnover the other way).

Dumping the puck in also puts pressure on their D, having to turn, and if you're following a dump in correctly, taking physical abuse in an to attempt to retrieve it. It also somewhat helps disrupt positioning as their defending forwards who have to start to chase rather than necessarily stay in their preferred formation. That can open gaps in coverage to exploit.

Now by all means, that's not to say that carrying the puck in, with possession, is not preferable. It's simply frequently not a good option.

If anything, from what I've read about Pettersson, I'd imagine any frustration is likely at his own ability in that moment to make a better play/better read/elude coverage (that's been far more of a wet blanket than last year) etc. 

Dumping the puck in is workman's way of getting a scoring chance. Carrying the puck in is something that is proven to be the most effective way to maintain control. If you can do that, you should do it 100% of the times. As you wisely noticed, it is on many occasions a poor decision. However, there are times, when such an option becomes available and it can directly lead to scoring of a goal, especially given that the player is equipped with a shot like Petey. I'm saying that Canucks should maximize such opportunities; not claiming that we should always carry the puck in 100% of the time no matter the circumstances, as you seem to be alluding.

In professional sports, the difference between winning and losing is paper thin. One goal. That's all that comes down to in many cases, especially the playoffs. A team that knows how to optimize their performance the best possible way, will win more often than not. 

Petey blames himself the hardest. But he is human. A less than optimal decision from a teammate, if it happens over and over again, will frustrate him.

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Disagree, Miller and Petey have been great together. Petey dumps and chases in games as well, as does the rest of the team. It's not only Miller, it's the team as a collective.

It's Boeser that's been holding the line back at times. Poor passing, bad hockey plays, at times slow. This coming from a huge Boeser fan. Imo move Brock to Bo's line and put Gauds or Virtanen their for now. Podz could be the best fit their in the long term.

Well, I don't disagree that Miler and Petey compliment well together. And Petey does play dum and chase game very well. He is improving every game it feels.

Although, I'm not quite ready to blame Boeser yet I do agree that the lines may need to be reformed to give everyone a boost.

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

I disagree on your take  on Boeser, he holds his weight on this team, I have seen Bo, Miller and even Petey  showing bad passes, they all do. it funny many times Boeser is the first player down into the  defensive zone, and you think he is slow. that kid always plays with heart and gives his all every game.  Petey, Boeser and Miller are the top line for a reason, they have the most points . 87 point for this line

Edited by bree2
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, khay said:

Well, I don't disagree that Miler and Petey compliment well together. And Petey does play dum and chase game very well. He is improving every game it feels.

Although, I'm not quite ready to blame Boeser yet I do agree that the lines may need to be reformed to give everyone a boost.

I’m not blaming Brock just saying he doesn’t suit that line imo. Looks a step behind, in the long term I think someone more skilled needs to be on that line to complement Petey.

Brock is a pure goal scorer and would fit in well with Bo imo. They play well together. Need a little more balance with lines, that will come as injured players return and prospects come up over the next few years though.

20 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I disagree on your take  on Boeser, he holds his weight on this team, I have seen Bo, Miller and even Petey  showing bad passes, they all do. it funny many times Boeser is the first player down into the  defensive zone, and you think he is slow. that kid always plays with heart and gives his all every game.  Petey, Boeser and Miller are the top line for a reason, they have the most points . 87 point for this line

Ok if that’s what you think.

Of course the top line is going to put up points, that’s what star players do…

Brock is my favourite player on this team, and I would like to see him hit the 100 point mark during the prime of his career.

Although it doesn’t mean I can’t criticize him for flaws in his game. His passing has been off for a while now, and many others on the forums have mentioned that as well. He is also slower that majority of our players, getting a skating coach wouldn’t be the end of the world… He is still young and needs some work on his game like a lot of other guys on the team.

23 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Great list to be on.  Really wanted Barzal in his draft year.  We never had a chance at him.  

Considering that Barzal had Tavares to play with, and Malkin had Crosby, Panarin had Kane, it makes it pretty amazing to see how EP40 stacks up.  

He is only going to get better.  

Love that he is ahead of Mathews.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1