The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/11/2019 at 8:44 PM, khay said:

I don't understand. Marner already put up 94 points last season. 

To be fair, this is just EP's second season. EP's second season > Marner's second season. Yes. But until EP puts up 90+ points, we can't make claims that EP is already better than Marner. Even a big Canucks homer like myself can't make that claim, although I badly want to say the same!

I mean, Marner even kills penalties on top of PP and dominating plays 5 on 5. 

The only way we can make that claim is when EP surpasses Marner in offensive categories, i.e., points. 

I have a problem with people thinking it's just about putting up points. 

Being an all-around player is so much more than just points. And personally, I would never trade Petey straight up for Marner. 

You're entitled to your opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I have a problem with people thinking it's just about putting up points. 

Being an all-around player is so much more than just points. And personally, I would never trade Petey straight up for Marner. 

You're entitled to your opinion. 

Sure. Except, Marner is also an all around player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm praying everyday for Petey to become the best player in the world. And, I think he has that potential. It's just that I have a problem with people thinking that he is already the best player when he isn't there yet.

Yes. You are also, entitled to your opinion.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Sure. Except, Marner is also an all around player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm praying everyday for Petey to become the best player in the world. And, I think he has that potential. It's just that I have a problem with people thinking that he is already the best player when he isn't there yet.

Yes. You are also, entitled to your opinion.

And no, I don't already think he is the best player in the world. He could be, and he definitely has the potential.

I just think when people are basing a player's effectiveness on point total, it's not the only factor. That's all. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

And no, I don't already think he is the best player in the world. He could be, and he definitely has the potential.

I just think when people are basing a player's effectiveness on point total, it's not the only factor. That's all. 

OK.

Well, I guess we disagree on whether EP is better than Marner right now but agree that he can and will be better than him at some point (hopefully soon).

I think point totals matter in this particular case if you want to argue that EP > Marner because Marner can do quite a lot of things well such as PK on top of massive points that he puts up. EP < Marner on points and EP < Marner on defensive assignments, then How can we argue that EP > Marner? Just because he is a center? Yes, wingers have less responsibilities than centers but that alone isn't enough IMO. I think that Marner is a complete player as much as EP is a complete player so unless EP equals or exceed Marner in points, the positional argument that EP is a C and Marner is a winger isn't convincing enough to say that EP > Marner. And that's just my opinion.

So to summarize, 

1. EP hasn't matched Marner's point totals yet.

2. Marner kills penalties and is sent out in the last minute of the game to defend a lead. Something that EP hasn't earned the trust of the coaches to do just yet. 

3. EP is defensively sound 5-on-5, so is Marner. But EP does bare more responsibilities since he is a center.

From the above premises, I conclude that it's premature to say EP > Marner just yet. Until, the point #1, EP exceeds Marner in points scored or EP starts killing penalties and defends leads. For example, even if EP puts up 80 points and Marner 100 points, if EP kills penalties and defends leads, and contributes to winning games as a centerman, then I agree that point totals don't matter as much.

I almost feel like Marner is underrated here because he plays for Toronto. If someone asked me to choose between Matthews and Marner to have on the Canucks, I don't know maybe it's just me but I'd go with Marner.

19 hours ago, coastal.view said:

every game i watch petey has linemates

they all seem to mostly play together fairly well

he most often is on a line with brock and miller

not sure what game you are watching

I think what he means is when the player is rushing the puck, the linemates don't keep up to create passing opportunities, therefore causing the dump and chase

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I didn't think it was just point total, Marner is way better defensively than EP.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 8:44 PM, khay said:

I don't understand. Marner already put up 94 points last season. 

To be fair, this is just EP's second season. EP's second season > Marner's second season. Yes. But until EP puts up 90+ points, we can't make claims that EP is already better than Marner. Even a big Canucks homer like myself can't make that claim, although I badly want to say the same!

I mean, Marner even kills penalties on top of PP and dominating plays 5 on 5. 

The only way we can make that claim is when EP surpasses Marner in offensive categories, i.e., points. 

Wing vs C. When it's close you always go with the centre. Pettersson has 100 points in 103 games at 21. All this while being exceptional in his own zone.

15 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Wing vs C. When it's close you always go with the centre. Pettersson has 100 points in 103 games at 21. All this while being exceptional in his own zone.

But its not even close yet. Marner is better defensively than EP (even though you say he is exceptional) and his even strength play and production is a lot better. I think EP will get there but it is going to take some time to match Marner.

Listed as 6’2  176 lbs this season...

EP40 is obviously going through some “growth spurts” this season..  not necessarily saying he is growing taller, but dynamically his teen muscle is developing into a stronger heavier “adult” version, perhaps effecting is game slightly.

I’ve heard that Peter Forsberg was similar in his growth this way..

Perhaps Oden and Valhalla are sending blessings.

PF  grew to be 205 @ 6”.

I can see EP40 @ 195..  I think that’s reasonable..

any current stats for this month might be “tell tale” ..  anyone have any very recent stats?

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

But its not even close yet. Marner is better defensively than EP (even though you say he is exceptional) and his even strength play and production is a lot better. I think EP will get there but it is going to take some time to match Marner.

I disagree with you. I wouldn't trade Pettersson for Marner in any form. That speaks volumes for who's the better player

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well...I suppose I need to agree with those posters saying Petey is not playing good at all lately. Regardless of where he is in the NHL scoring list......he needs to get his s&%$ together and start playing again....and quit falling down all the bloody time....

He does seem off regarding his balance a lot of the time, agree on that. For his game yesterday vs the Sharks:

- good D throughout the game as usual

- one or two really good scoring chances

- set up Miller for a clean break-away

- set up Boeser for a free shot from the slot

While I agree he's not playing his best hockey, achieving the above while closely checked (as usual) is still an ok game in my eyes.

I really wonder if Petey changing skate profiles is working out.  He falls more now it seems.  He switched because he was losing his edge during turns...not sure if what he changed it to addressed that or actually made it worse.

Petey at his worst is pretty even with a lot of guys at their best..so I'm not worried.  He obviously is never satisfied and will be just fine.  His gwg the other night was with an exclamation mark...can't keep him down for long.  Loved to actually see him smile last game...important that he keep having fun with it in a well balanced approach.  If he stops loving the game, that would be problematic.

• Like 2

image.png

image.png

Uh, he's already "caught" him?

And he's a year and a half younger and has less experience.  Also...who does Marner play with?

I ain't buying this:

But its not even close yet. Marner is better defensively than EP (even though you say he is exceptional) and his even strength play and production is a lot better. I think EP will get there but it is going to take some time to match Marner

Based on ?   Bias?

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

image.png

Uh, he's already "caught" him?

And he's a year and a half younger and has less experience.  Also...who does Marner play with?

I ain't buying this:

Based on ?   Bias?

He's caught him already? When did he start killing penalties, when was he out protecting the lead in the last minute... Don't get me wrong he is close and i'm sure will catch him eventually but until his defensive game can match Marner's ... Question Deb, do you just watch Vancouver games or do you watch the NHL in general?

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

He's caught him already? When did he start killing penalties, when was he out protecting the lead in the last minute... Don't get me wrong he is close and i'm sure will catch him eventually but until his defensive game can match Marner's ... Question Deb, do you just watch Vancouver games or do you watch the NHL in general?

and has he caught him on the contract front?
that is not even close ?

miles and miles to go in that arena

so stop it deb

you are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off base

:bigblush: