The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if that was the case in the past but it's definitely not now. SHL and pretty much every Euro league I follow award 2nd assists.

Here's a game sheet from a recent SHL game (I just picked the one with the most goals this week):

http://www.flashscore.ca/game/YFyLvUqm/#game-summary

11 of the 15 goals scored that game had 2nd assists.

That said, they do seem to be a little more stingy handing out 2nd assists, especially in the KHL, and you generally have to do more than just be the third last guy to touch the puck to earn one.

Was this an SEL to SHL switch thing that I never clued in on?  Hmmm...

37 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I'm not sure when it comes to SEL vs SHL. I know many years ago the Czech league didn't count secondary assists. And I think maybe the old Russian Superleague (pre KHL). There definitely was a time when some of the leagues didn't. But I'd say from around 2008 or 2009 (maybe even earlier), most if not all elite European leagues have counted secondary assists.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm not sure when it comes to SEL vs SHL. I know many years ago the Czech league didn't count secondary assists. And I think maybe the old Russian Superleague (pre KHL). There definitely was a time when some of the leagues didn't. But I'd say from around 2008 or 2009 (maybe even earlier), most if not all elite European leagues have counted secondary assists.

Now I feel old haha.  Seems like just yesterday

Edited by SamJamIam

3 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

Does Elias play today??

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably. He was left off the Champions League roster (as were most of the top players) because they've already qualified for the next round.

But Vaxjo has an SHL game against Mora today, starting at IIRC 10am Vancouver time.

I'd expect Pettersson to be in the lineup.

On 10/4/2017 at 6:13 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if that was the case in the past but it's definitely not now. SHL and pretty much every Euro league I follow award 2nd assists.

Here's a game sheet from a recent SHL game (I just picked the one with the most goals this week):

http://www.flashscore.ca/game/YFyLvUqm/#game-summary

11 of the 15 goals scored that game had 2nd assists.

That said, they do seem to be a little more stingy handing out 2nd assists, especially in the KHL, and you generally have to do more than just be the third last guy to touch the puck to earn one.

I haven't watched much of the KHL at all but the SHL just seems inconsistent in the way they hand out secondary assists. But that's what happens when you don't have black and white rules on the way stats are collected. One scorekeeper may judge a play as worth of an assist whereas another may not. To me it's rather frustrating. 

On 10/4/2017 at 8:20 AM, SamJamIam said:

As far as I know the switch from SEL to SHL just changed the name of the league and I believe they adjusted the format of the playoffs. I did not follow the league as closely then as I do now, I am just going off of memory.

2 hours ago, samurai said:

Yes but is wasn't the cap era and we were going against teams that were trying to buy cups like the rangers.  Our ownership at the time didn't have that kind of money.  So in that sense we were lucky to get that far in that era

However, that 94 was stacked with great talent.  There was Bure but people forget Trevor had 32 goals in regular season and another 12 in the playoffs. It is like having McDavid and Drisaitl.  And we had  Courtnall, with 70 points, Ronning  with 68, and Brown with 66.  The 11 Canucks as you note was heavy on the PP and when that dried up in the finals it was our achilles heel.    In contrast the 94 Nucks were a very well balanced and deep team.  And since it had a very heavy Canadian flavor it was very very gritty and durable   I think people tend to think that the 11 team was a better team than the 94 but I would disagree.  Remember the back end ,  Babych, Lumme, Brown, Diduck, Hedican, Murzyn, Dirk -  a Pat Quinn D.  Babych was the second overall pick in 1980.

People that followed the team closely at the time thought even before the playoffs that we had a shot that year.   We were just over 500 but the team could on any night beat any in form team in the league that year.   It was with that team under Quinn that put us on the map and where the franchise is today.  

Patt Quinn the greatest coach in Canucks history.  

The last time he coached the Canucks, that team said we were the hardest team they played against.

1996 Stanley cup Bureless Vancouver Canucks vs the Colorado Avalanche.  We lost in 6, forgot who it was, Marc Crawford or Joe Sakic, mentioned that the Canucks were the hardest team they faced during their run.  

Coached by Patt Quinn.  Very sad the 2011 team couldn't win it for Vancouver.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Patt Quinn the greatest coach in Canucks history.  

The last time he coached the Canucks, that team said we were the hardest team they played against.

1996 Stanley cup Bureless Vancouver Canucks vs the Colorado Avalanche.  We lost in 6, forgot who it was, Marc Crawford or Joe Sakic, mentioned that the Canucks were the hardest team they faced during their run.  

Coached by Patt Quinn.  Very sad the 2011 team couldn't win it for Vancouver.

The 94 team would have been an nightmare for the 11 Bruins.  

• Upvote 2

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, 73 Percent said:

I just plain old do not understand euro leagues man.

Well if it's like soccer then picture a NHL season but a separate tourney where teams from other leagues participate like the AHL and KHL.  Throughout the NHL season they pause the schedule and play round robin games so say the Canucks(NHL), Utica(AHL) and Moscow(KHL) are in one group.  If the Canucks clinch that group before the round robin stage is over then essentially those remaining round robin games are meaningless so that's why it's a good idea to sit important players so they get rest and avoid injuries. 

I am just basing this off of FIFA video games but I believe that's how it works with UEFA Champions League.  That's why structurally soccer is a very interesting sport, I just don't enjoy watching it lol.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Well if it's like soccer then picture a NHL season but a separate tourney where teams from other leagues participate like the AHL and KHL.  Throughout the NHL season they pause the schedule and play round robin games so say the Canucks(NHL), Utica(AHL) and Moscow(KHL) are in one group.  If the Canucks clinch that group before the round robin stage is over then essentially those remaining round robin games are meaningless so that's why it's a good idea to sit important players so they get rest and avoid injuries. 

I am just basing this off of FIFA video games but I believe that's how it works with UEFA Champions League.  That's why structurally soccer is a very interesting sport, I just don't enjoy watching it lol.

A good example except the teams are more evenly matched than the NHL/AHL/KHL scenario. That's only me nitpicking though because your explanation was great.

Edited by Fan since 82
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nigerian said:

Found an old name on the scoreboard the  other day; Daniel Rahimi. Anyone remember him? Funny he’s on the same team as Elias. 

Rahimi and the infamous Patrick White were traded for Ehrhoff. Steal of a trade at the time.

• Upvote 1