The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/23/2017 at 10:57 PM, khay said:

Yeah, I think SHL is the better league for Pettersson for now. It let's him develop in a more comfortable environment. 

If Pettersson gets anywhere between 0.5-0.7 PPG in his first season, then we will know that we have struck gold.  Greater than 0.7 PPG and we have near Sedin level prospect. 

On 6/23/2017 at 5:44 PM, khay said:

Not saying Virtanen is a first line player by himself but more that Petterson and Dahlen are the type of skilled players that allows Virtanen to play on the first line and be effective. Like the Sedins brought out the best in Carter and Burrows.

I thought we would pick Glass or Makar but with Makar gone, I was thinking that it would be Glass. Initially slightly shocked but I understand the pick. Dahlen-Petterson gives us 2/3 of a line and he brings more of elite level skill than Glass. And with heavy center in Horvat, I think getting the elite skill player makes sense. 

All this other posts about EP made me curious as to what I thought about EP. Boy was I wrong about predictions relating to EP. Dahlen-Pettersson is never going to be a thing in the NHL... and 0.5-0.7PPG in SEL? EP laughed his way to double that at 1.27PPG. Sedin level prospect? More like Bure level, maybe higher. lol. 

On 1/8/2020 at 4:40 PM, GritGrinder said:

A bit of a test starts this week for EP. Lets look at his stats through 43 games last season compared to this season for starters.

18-19--43gp 24g-22a 46pts

19-20--43gp 20g-25a 45pts

A few more goals last season and few more apples this season, nearly identical point totals.

It was after 43 games last year that EP hit a "wall". In his final 28 games last season he had 4g-16a 20pts

Pro-rated out to the 39 games left this season that would be 6g-22a 28pts if he hits a similar "wall".

He would still finish with a solid 70+pt season, but if he does slow down like last season and the same thing happens to QH then making the playoffs will be a tough task.

The test begins tomorrow night...

Good observation. I don't think he will hit a wall this time. He doesn't look very tired this season whereas, it was clear that his fatigue level was accumulating fast last season.

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

What a left field choice that was. Glad Benning know what he’s doing for sure.

Petey was probably 5th on the list of guys I wanted at that position. Glad I wasn't doing the drafting.

• Cheers 1

Apparently, Petey is the only guy who's both top 5 in crossbars hit and top 10 in posts hit this year. In total, he's hit 11 posts. Imagine if even five of those went in and Petey had 26 goals. We'd be looking at a guy on pace for a good 40 or so goals.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Apparently, Petey is the only guy who's both top 5 in crossbars hit and top 10 in posts hit this year. In total, he's hit 11 posts. Imagine if even five of those went in and Petey had 26 goals. We'd be looking at a guy on pace for a good 40 or so goals.

Someone keeps that stat?

• Cheers 1

I admit I was very concerned about his size and skating.  After missing Tkachuk the prior year I really wanted some size and grit.  

I now have a Petterssen jersey.  I still hope he can continue to improve his skating/balance.  I am sure if we look back at all the threads most of us have been wrong at least once.  Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to pointing other peoples mistakes out.  

On 1/8/2020 at 4:57 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Actually it's a hilarious blast from the past...even better in this thread, start here (although go back a few pages for the build up of anticipation).  Proud to say I liked this pick from the word go:

How do you quote from a different thread?

Here is a little love for Jake.  He has 3 posts and 3 cross bars and 8 misses over in ATOI of only 12:33 / game.  He is getting some quality shots off.

He also has 26 takeaways vs 14 giveaways over that same amount of ice time.  Bo is on this  one as well.  These underlying stats can really shed some light beyond the eye test or player bias (of which I am guilty)

image.thumb.png.283e0154dc7db59a254e7a2b3f86e12b.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Here is a little love for Jake.  He has 3 posts and 3 cross bars and 8 misses over in ATOI of only 12:33 / game.  He is getting some quality shots off.

He also has 26 takeaways vs 14 giveaways over that same amount of ice time.  Bo is on this  one as well.  These underlying stats can really shed some light beyond the eye test or player bias (of which I am guilty)

And Jake can be mean and nasty.  That’s a valuable guy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Borvat said:

Let's just say with JV improving hockey IQ, more hits, intimidation, positive takeaway:giveaway ratio, quality shots, he's turning out to be a more complete player.  Practicing with smart players like Pearson, Miller and Rousell, to help him hone the skills and qualities he's lacked in the past I think has helped him improve his game time play. And I almost forgot his speed.

Edited by iBlueGreen

2 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

Let's just say with JV improving hockey IQ, more hits, intimidation, positive takeaway:giveaway ratio, quality shots, he's turning out to be a more complete player.  Practicing with smart players like Pearson, Miller and Rousell, to help him hone the skills and qualities he's lacked in the past I think has helped him improve his game time play. And I almost forgot his speed.

Players are people and like all people some mature and develop at different ages.  Even in his interviews he seems more mature, focused and confident.  This was my concern for him as his rep - here in Abbotsford where I live and he grew up - was one of having all the skills but not always the work ethic and focus.  Good for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Players are people and like all people some mature and develop at different ages.  Even in his interviews he seems more mature, focused and confident.  This was my concern for him as his rep - here in Abbotsford where I live and he grew up - was one of having all the skills but not always the work ethic and focus.  Good for him.

Yes. It's not all maturity issues either. Players just have different development curves that vary widely in a sport like hockey. Look at Markstrom. Before we acquired him he was considered the top goalie prospect in the world. Then a couple years later people were wondering if he'd even have an NHL career. Now at age 29 he's finally living up to that top-tier goalie potential. Development is not linear and at the end of the day trying to predict it is still smoke and mirrors.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

I think his PIM numbers are probably a smidge higher than most Lady Byng players, but if you look way back in the past, you'll find that some Lady Byng winners actually had quite a bit of PIM. This is likely because while they may have accumulated more penalties, they still very well embodied the spirit of the Lady Byng award. I think Pettersson is in this vein. While he's on pace for about 20 or 22 PIM, which is a bit high for a Lady Byng contender, it's clear he has a gentlemanly spirit about him and cares about others (while still being fiercely competitive).

• Cheers 1