The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I wonder if this latest Petey injury has any bearing on plays like when Hoglander elbows a guy in the head.. or vice versa..

does Hogs see plays like this and think he needs to strike first to back guys off? or will a skill guy elbowing someone on the head put a bigger target on their back?

and if Petey played that way, would things get better or worse? 

• Thanks 1

This league is an absolute mess in relation to "taking care of" players.  They do the minimal on an inconsistent basis in order to present a false facade of action.  I know it's a tough one, as physicality is part of it and none of us want it to be gone.  It makes for a great game when it's hard hitting and emotional (see battle of Alberta for an example of this).  But it's the late hits and the ones in close to the boards that need special attention.  The opportunists who prey on others...even if it's not in an attempt to hurt them, but to sneak one in.  

Thank God Petey is tough and resilient...and he isn't "afraid" out there or it might change his game.  He should be able to practice his craft without having to worry about dirty hits that could jeopardize his future.  Maybe it already IS changing his game a bit...and that's a shame for the league, not just us.  Do they want gifted players with room to excel or do they want them taken out by nobodies who are flash in the pan and don't bring much in overall value to things?  They really cheapen the deal.  

The league wants to use these guys as their poster boys...do they even deserve to?  

There has to be consideration of "targeted" players who, because they are good, get the extra attention.  The league needs to really make sure it falls in line with what's legal in respect to the rules.  Not hit and miss this stuff.

Crosby, McDavid...they've all had to endure crap and cheap shots and maybe it's time to review that.  Protect them.

You can't have two rulebooks but at least enforce one?  This evening up of penalties is garbage.

Petey has that fire and look out down the road if he does fill out some more...I see him fighting back (not in a drop the gloves way, but in getting shots in too).  The mother of all elbows stuff.  While I don't like to condone it, sometimes it's the only way.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

K man. Comprise a list of softer European players and gritty European players. Let me know what one is bigger. 

u want that in order of every league in europe thats considered a goon or something like that? or u think Petey should throw away playmaking and sniping and become the next Gino Odjick on the team? Why not ask chicagos Patrick Kane if he can put up a fight now and then and let his right wrist get broken for the remainder of the season? its brilliant...why didnt i think of this? i mean afterall... its.... Life!!!

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This league is an absolute mess in relation to "taking care of" players.  They do the minimal on an inconsistent basis in order to present a false facade of action.  I know it's a tough one, as physicality is part of it and none of us want it to be gone.  It makes for a great game when it's hard hitting and emotional (see battle of Alberta for an example of this).  But it's the late hits and the ones in close to the boards that need special attention.  The opportunists who prey on others...even if it's not in an attempt to hurt them, but to sneak one in.  

Thank God Petey is tough and resilient...and he isn't "afraid" out there or it might change his game.  He should be able to practice his craft without having to worry about dirty hits that could jeopardize his future.  Maybe it already IS changing his game a bit...and that's a shame for the league, not just us.  Do they want gifted players with room to excel or do they want them taken out by nobodies who are flash in the pan and don't bring much in overall value to things?  They really cheapen the deal.  

The league wants to use these guys as their poster boys...do they even deserve to?  

There has to be consideration of "targeted" players who, because they are good, get the extra attention.  The league needs to really make sure it falls in line with what's legal in respect to the rules.  Not hit and miss this stuff.

Crosby, McDavid...they've all had to endure crap and cheap shots and maybe it's time to review that.  Protect them.

You can't have two rulebooks but at least enforce one?  This evening up of penalties is garbage.

Petey has that fire and look out down the road if he does fill out some more...I see him fighting back (not in a drop the gloves way, but in getting shots in too).  The mother of all elbows stuff.  While I don't like to condone it, sometimes it's the only way.

Agreed Deb.  Petey has to let the league know he will carve guys who get to close.  He should never EVER drop his gloves.  He needs to use his stick.  He will definitely get suspended now and then, but what’s the difference between a 3 game suspension and missing 3  games because of injury caused by a dirty (targeted) hit?  

I really hope one of the older guys guides Petey in this way.  

• Upvote 2

The Canuck brass needs to get Bure come and pay Petey and other 'no-fighting) players a visit.  Have him explain how he handled certain cheap shots throughout his career.  Also, it was good to see Virtanen and MacE stand up for themselves and their teammates.  But, where is Shaler, Roussel and Beagle.  Didn't they bring these guys in to be big bodies and also guys who would defend their mates?

Where is Dave Semenko?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

u want that in order of every league in europe thats considered a goon or something like that? or u think Petey should throw away playmaking and sniping and become the next Gino Odjick on the team? Why not ask chicagos Patrick Kane if he can put up a fight now and then and let his right wrist get broken for the remainder of the season? its brilliant...why didnt i think of this? i mean afterall... its.... Life!!!

So you're just a tool eh?

• Haha 1

Pettersson will be fine. It's probably more precautionary than anything. Maybe feeling some discomfort and they wanted him to rest. He took the pre-game skate and looked upset when he was told he couldn't play. I think he'll be ready to go tomorrow against CGY. If not, then I'll panic :frantic:

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

The Canuck brass needs to get Bure come and pay Petey and other 'no-fighting) players a visit.  Have him explain how he handled certain cheap shots throughout his career.  Also, it was good to see Virtanen and MacE stand up for themselves and their teammates.  But, where is Shaler, Roussel and Beagle.  Didn't they bring these guys in to be big bodies and also guys who would defend their mates?

Where is Dave Semenko?

Teach Pettersson the "Mother of All Elbows", lol.

3 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Where is Dave Semenko?

What year are you in? 

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We need our own Semenko. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Boudrias said:

More

More to do about the phone calls by people with Russian accents. 

You are sure about that are you? It couldn't possibly be that players saw Churla cheap shot Bure until Bure had enough and gave Churla a career ending concussion? It must be the mob?

• Cheers 1