The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ever since the Calgary game where they were on him all the time, Petey has been far less noticeable. It’s beginning to be crunch time and a much more of a playoff like atmosphere, the game is getting tighter and teams are focusing in on our top guys.

If we want to have playoff success petey needs to figure out a way to elevate his game during these meaningful games like the true superstars are able to do. 

The good news is our captain Bo has shown true leadership and is going to do what ever it takes to drag us into the post season. 

It would also help if the Nucks could elevate their PP to what it was earlier in the season, but Pete definitely needs to find a way to lessen the impact of the physical contact. 

Lately, Hughes is being targeted as well, but he is much harder to hit.  Most likely due to always being one of the smaller players on the ice throughout his life, he has learned how to evade much of the physical play.

• Cheers 1

Always wore my jersey's on the ice, been a fan for years, the only jersey I have ever bought and wear for games is Petey's.

I think with so much focus on him by the other teams best defenders, this is freeing up his team mates a little and it's showing on the score sheet.

Full confidence in this young man, and if he is true to form, the playoffs or a championship challenge is always where he seems to really shine.

GCG 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It would also help if the Nucks could elevate their PP to what it was earlier in the season, but Pete definitely needs to find a way to lessen the impact of the physical contact. 

Lately, Hughes is being targeted as well, but he is much harder to hit.  Most likely due to always being one of the smaller players on the ice throughout his life, he has learned how to evade much of the physical play.

In the long run, there are 2 ways to get the other team checking you less. First if you are shifty, you attract the defenders to you and you send the puck to your open teammate and take a hit in the process. Your teammate then makes a play or scores. When teams in the league catch this they may start backing off since checking you is perceived to be less effective and perhaps even dangerous for their D zone coverage. The second way is to be mobile all the time. You are moving your feet with your head up and your edge work allows you to evade checkers. 

E.P.'s skating and stick work are still not good enough to evade checking consistently. He has yet to mature physically.  It took Nathan Mckinnon 5 seasons to get there. This is why keeping Toffoli is important as Boeser and E.P. are still supporting players during many games. J.T. Miller is really the engine that drives the top line. It took him many seasons to mature. Now he is the adult leading his younger teammates. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Very odd statement, the more muscle mass you have to quicker you tire. It take a lot more oxygen and cardio to deal with being bigger.

there is a reason everytime a fighter goes up in weight class there is always a concern with there cardio

I am not talking about cardio. Look at what Kesler said back in 2011. If you don't remember he said you go into the season ripped and by the end of it you're out of shape - paraphrasing that. That is not saying he is out of shape cardio wise but you lose muscle mass because you can't workout like you do in the off season. All the travel and games put stress on your body and I am saying because of how little muscle mass Pettersson has it's having a greater impact on him. 

Two years in a row where he has started fading on the second half of the year.

14 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I am not talking about cardio. Look at what Kesler said back in 2011. If you don't remember he said you go into the season ripped and by the end of it you're out of shape - paraphrasing that. That is not saying he is out of shape cardio wise but you lose muscle mass because you can't workout like you do in the off season. All the travel and games put stress on your body and I am saying because of how little muscle mass Pettersson has it's having a greater impact on him. 

My anecdote is that Pettersson is falling more and having more trouble staying on his feet since the all star break. Your observation regarding body mass  may very well explain why Pettersson was seemingly playing bigger earlier in the season. 

24 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Not trying to be rude or toxic, but I don’t think you understand how muscle mass works.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I don't think you know the difference been there, their and they're. 

I do I just chose not to care so there you go I’d like to let you know their kids are terrible people and they’re degenerates

Edit: I’m also sure if I went through your posts i could grammar nazi your post as well.

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He seems off lately, don't know if it's the flu or he's banged up or perhaps there's nothing left in the tank but he hasn't been his dynamic self lately.  

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like Petey's a bit frustrated, but still is so effective despite not scoring.

He'll be fine.  He is fine....he does so many things that he's still an asset even if he's not hitting the net. 

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I too notice that Petey is getting more frustrated with the reffing in this league. I can't imagine how frustrated he'd be with playoff officiating.

Petey has slowed down in terms of scoring.

Could be the long season tired him out.

Could be he is banged up. Took a couple big hits last couple of games. One hit made we wonder if his shoulder got rocked.

Could be the extra hits and attention he gets as well as less space.

Could be he seems to focus on hitting more and using his sublime puck control less.

But as deb says...."He'll be fine"

Love the kid lol.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Dhaliwal seems to be delighted anytime a Canuck player is about to break the bank or is in line to give the Canucks cap issues . 

1FC228BC-1EEB-4A91-BAD7-6C7806F01BF3.jpeg

Yeah, so am I. Because that means a Canuck player is performing/producing very well. I like that situation way better than the alternative, where none of our players are earning any of their bonuses. I am happy for Petey, who, even with his bonuses, is spectacularly good value.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, so am I. Because that means a Canuck player is performing/producing very well. I like that situation way better than the alternative, where none of our players are earning any of their bonuses. I am happy for Petey, who, even with his bonuses, is spectacularly good value.

Petey on pace this season for 79 points. 

All things considered, that's a very good season from a second year player in the league. 

And he improved from his point production from last year (66) by 13 points. 

Breakout third season? I can see him putting on a little more strength and weight to battle through especially when dmen are focusing on him more and more. 

90 point season probably not out of the question next season. 

AND, i know this is a Pettersson thread, but, could Hughes eventually become a 100 point dman??? 

As a rookie, he's on pace to finish the year at 66 points, as a rookie dman

What will years 2 and 3 bring, when he's got more experience? 

• Like 3

I found it telling that Elias has been overtaken on the Canuck points leaderboard.

First time since he laced 'em up here, he's no longer leading in either category of goals scored, assists or points.

Yet, he is leading the team in plus minus with a healthy +13.

This kid's learning it all, when he muscles up a little he'll be the next Sundin.

If Canucks org are willing to pay the price to protect that progress.

Big if tho.  They haven't looked like valuing that at all.

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

EP is quite consistent in his scoring year-over-year

Through 62 games last season 27g 34a 61pts +8

Through 62 games this season 25g 35a 60pts +13

The Canucks will need him to finish strong and not fade like he did last season if the playoffs are to become a reality.

Wow. I had no idea about those stats.

Kinda makes it look like Petey did not take a step forward this year. It does look like he is trying to be a bit more physical this year but he just does not have the size to do it. And he is sacrificing a bit of creativity when trying to be more physical.

I agree the Canucks need him to finish strong.

The kid is amazing though. I hope he can put a few more pounds on in the off season.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Kinda makes it look like Petey did not take a step forward this year. It does look like he is trying to be a bit more physical this year but he just does not have the size to do it. And he is sacrificing a bit of creativity when trying to be more physical.

The kid is amazing though. I hope he can put a few more pounds on in the off season.

if petey continues his pace this season and plays 81 games he will get 78 points (he missed a game and will not get to 82 to this season)

if petey continued his pace of last season and played 81 game he would have gotten 75 points

in my view petey faded worse last season in the second half then he has this season so far

i see improvement this season

even if the stats do not clearly bear that out

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

The Canucks will need him to finish strong and not fade like he did last season if the playoffs are to become a reality.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

From what I saw last season, Pettersson started off on fire, but his production faded as teams started making him a focal-point to defend. He ended up completely suffocated and the points dried up.

This year he's far more steady, despite the book being out on him. I think it's largely due to him learning how to fight through it. But I also think there is much more talent around him, which both takes some of the focus and gives him more options - he doesn't have to do it all.

Edited by D-Money
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

To be fair, he's also putting up those points with a less sheltered, 12% + increase in dzone starts.

Some of that is due to having a solid, 2 way Miller on his line as well, but putting up similar points, with more opposition focus on him, and less sheltered, is in fact progress even if it doesn't 'pop' out with traditional stats.

• Cheers 1