Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

8 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I disagree, once again. Marners older, played with better players, and is a winger.

Pettersson plays C, which is undoubtedly a harder position in which Pete has a 64% Corsi while Marner is around 54%. Pete has 51 points to Marners 47. Also a factor to add in is that Petterssons line is +12 on the season, and Marners is... Not even in a playoff spot.

Marners corsi with Tavares is also higher than without. Showing that he is not driving the play as much as Pete.

Pete > Marner all day. You wouldn't find a GM who would swap Pete for Marner, and rightfully so.

Literally, it's splitting hairs and Brian Burke said as much. Pettersson is above Marner because of the position he plays. Top-line centre has far more value than a top-line winger. As of right now Marner is ahead of Pettersson. Pettersson hasn't even shown he can play at a high level for 82 games. Last year he dropped considerably after 50 games. You have to take that into consideration too. Will he have the same drop off this year? I hope not but we don't know yet.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Literally, it's splitting hairs and Brian Burke said as much. Pettersson is above Marner because of the position he plays. Top-line centre has far more value than a top-line winger. As of right now Marner is ahead of Pettersson. Pettersson hasn't even shown he can play at a high level for 82 games. Last year he dropped considerably after 50 games. You have to take that into consideration too. Will he have the same drop off this year? I hope not but we don't know yet.

Marner's 1st season was similar to Pete's 1st, although P had more goals.  Marner's 2nd season he played 5 more games, but only increased his points by 8.

I don't see any reason to think EP will drop off this year.  His increased strength and experience have resulted in fewer hits and no injuries.  He hasn't taken anywhere near the smack downs he had last season.

I his 1st two seasons, Marner had 159 games/41g + 89a   130pts;  so far EP has 120games/49g + 68a  117pts (13pts less than M).

With 31 games left to in the season, I see no reason why EP wouldn't easily rack up ++++13pts and surpass Marners'  stats.  The way he's playing, EP will probably beat out Matthews' 1st two season stats (144games/132pts) if he scores +15pts in the next 24 games.:shock:

It will be interesting to see how EP does in his 3rd season, as that was Marner's breakout year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:15 PM, Darius said:

I can't stop watching this, man this kids amazing, and the commentators reaction

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

1 hour ago, goog16 said:

Way to go Petey,3rd in hardest shot wIth 102 MPH!!!

What?? The second best loser?... The Canucks should waive him soon, he can't win a damn thing!!

There are still players in the league I would pick over EP for a playoff series, but Marner is not one of them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Kind of a toss right now. You're not gonna go wrong with either Petey or Marner.

We'll see in a year or two when Petey takes his next step how good he'll be.

I thought the All-star weekend has shown how much Petey has grown since last year. Last year he looked a bit nervous and a bit star--struck maybe? This year he acted with a lot more confidence towards media and on the ice. Its great to see him evolve like this. As expected Weber won the hardest shot but Petey is in the top of the league with the power hes got in his shot in any case. U gotta luv how quick of a release hes got to back up that power also. all in all id say this was a great weekend for him and fun to have Marky and huggy alongside with him. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:13 PM, peaches5 said:

I wouldn't trade Ep40 for any player on the leafs not named Mathews.  

Although I do think that Ep40 is a better complete player than Mathews.  

You cannot discount position in talking about a players value.  

I don't think Dubas has done a good job with the Laffs.  They should have dealt Nylander vs Kadri and used the savings to add to their very suspect defence.  

Instead the laffs are loaded up front with skilled players without an edge or slot of toughness.  

Sure Marner is a great player, a fantastic forward.  

That said, he has far less responsibility than a center.  What would Elias produce as a winger?  Likely higher point totals.  

On 1/25/2020 at 5:42 AM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Glad we didn't pick Glass or Virandi.:)

Can you imagine the debacle.  We would be in a excellent position to draft in the top 3 this year.  Byfield is going to be a monster.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I wouldn't trade Ep40 for any player on the leafs not named Mathews.  

Although I do think that Ep40 is a better complete player than Mathews.  

You cannot discount position in talking about a players value.  

I don't think Dubas has done a good job with the Laffs.  They should have dealt Nylander vs Kadri and used the savings to add to their very suspect defence.  

Instead the laffs are loaded up front with skilled players without an edge or slot of toughness.  

Sure Marner is a great player, a fantastic forward.  

That said, he has far less responsibility than a center.  What would Elias produce as a winger?  Likely higher point totals.  

One I never said I'd trade Pettersson for Marner. I said Marner is currently better but Pettersson should be better in the future. Two, you absolutely can discount a player for the position they play. A number one centre is worth more than a top-line winger. A centre has to do a lot more defensively than what a winger has to do. I don't think you really understand what it is you're responding to. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tbh I wouldn't trade Petey for anyone in the NHL sans McDizzle and maybe MacKinnon if I am building a franchise.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I don't think you really understand what it is you're responding to. 

There you go again with your condescending crap.  :picard:

• Hydration 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:42 AM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Glad we didn't pick Glass or Virandi.:)

I just went over the first few pages of the thread again and people were very mixed. I wasn't sure myself, but once I did some research I was pretty stoked.

Gotta love what Benning saw in young Petey. He's already fantastic, but he will be truly elite in 2-3 years with more experience and strength. I don't think I'm being a homer to think his point totals will almost certainly be top 10 in the NHL by then, and very possibly near the middle of that list depending on his linemates.

And that's just points. The fact he will be that good while also being defensively smart speaks to how amazing overall he really is and will be.

What a gem.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Amazing guy,

Amazing team mate

Petey is just simply amazing.  There are certainly times I think he should have been named captain (no disrespect to Bo).

He has the class and thoughtfulness of the Sedins, wrist shot like Nazzy, and compete level like Linden (not to mention his frame reminds me a lot of Linden when he first entered the league).  Once in awhile, we even see snarl in his game like Steamer lol. 

Bonus is now we know he has a slap shot that is as hard as Bure's haha. 

All that, and he's still so humble and down to earth.  This kid was raised right, and the Canucks REALLY got lucky with losing the draft lottery the year Petey was selected :)

• Like 1
  • Burr 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, peaches5 said:

Marner currently is the better player

Based upon what?   If you were starting a team from scratch and you had the choose one of the two of them you would choose Marner?    Wow.

• Thanks 1