The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/handing-out-mvp-awards-to-the-seven-canadian-teams-1.1458915

Handing out MVP awards to the seven Canadian teams
Vancouver Canucks
Winner: Elias Pettersson, F  
Also considered: none

Embedded Image

Of the seven teams, this was the easiest choice. It may be the easiest choice for any team in the league. Vancouver’s was a top-heavy team all season long, but their first line – anchored by Pettersson – was one of the most dominant groupings in the league, and was good enough to overwhelm the depth issues this team had for much of the year.

If you are into more advanced regression-based measures like Goals Above Replacement, Pettersson somehow comes off looking even better than he normally would by way of scoring totals or on-ice differentials. What you find through these regressions is that teammates are materially better when playing with Pettersson, and when moved to other lines, see performance drop-offs well below expectations.

At the time the season was halted, Pettersson was nearly 24 goals (approximately four wins!) better than a replacement player, which was the second highest number in the league. The only player ahead of him? A similarly situated one-man band in the form of Rangers sniper Artemi Panarin (25 goals above replacement).

Pettersson’s arc – he is a full year behind Matthews, two behind McDavid – is going to be interesting to follow. At 21, he is already a superstar in this league. The question now is where is his ceiling, and how can Vancouver surround him with even better complementary talent as the team prepares for his second contract?

Thoughts?  Would Petey get your vote?

It's interesting to see those stats, thanks for posting @Phil_314. As crazy as it is, I would probably put Petey at 4th in my MVP voting for the Canucks. Marky would go #1, Miller #2, Hughes #3, and Petey #4. Somewhat frustrating that we're not better than we are with such a star studded top group of players.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's interesting to see those stats, thanks for posting @Phil_314. As crazy as it is, I would probably put Petey at 4th in my MVP voting for the Canucks. Marky would go #1, Miller #2, Hughes #3, and Petey #4. Somewhat frustrating that we're not better than we are with such a star studded top group of players.

The one game Petey missed we look utterly terrible. You have to remember the attention factor. Could Miller and Hughes handle the extra attention when Petey isn’t there? But Marky was an absolute wall for us this year but would he being so rock solid matter with we didn’t have Petey to provide the offense?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I have heard that some feel that Pete didn't have the flashy season this year.  If this is a "Sophomore Slump" Pete style next year should be awesome.  B)

Just more steady and more consistent. Didn't have 10 goals in 10 games, but also didn't have any really slow periods either.

• Cheers 1

yep he was more steady, however a bit of a drop at the end IMO. A bit the same as last year at the end of the season, so still need to improve his physique and a mental state of mind to be able to maintain a stability throughout the season. Still, a slight improvement overall in stability and some lessons learned to always keep on ur toes to avoid getting injured due to foul play. id say that sums it up. 

The key player this year has been Miller who has thrived by playing with Petey. Im hoping that Brock gets back into his groove so that Toffoli can get a match on who plays alongside Petey for next season. Im saying next season because there is no way what so ever there will be an end or continuation of this season due to the Corona. 

Really appreciated the overall consistency in Petey's game and really thought he started to engage more physically as the season went on.  Noticed more and more in the 2nd half of the season, his details in the game away from the puck impressed me, more so then when he did have the puck.  His positional play and reads in the defensive zone started to really exemplify how smart of a player he is. 

Still would like him to fill out his body more and develop a stronger set of muscles in his legs to stay on his feet.  He does go down way too easily and which likely earned him less calls in the 2nd half of the season.  

Also shoot the damn puck, be more selfish, dont be like Henrik and pass every single opportunity away.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/elias-pettersson-gives-us-tour-home-home/

Skate jersey's his favourite

Quinn's messy

Doesn't care for silver medals

If the Season and playoffs do continue, Canucks need to rock those skate jerseys. They look so amazing, and if they get Petey pumped, why deny him that??

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I'm making an EP video! 

If you have a favourite EP goal or dangle please share it in the thread :) 

His pre-season moves against Edmonton (I forget if it was 2018 or 2019) was really nice.