Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

12 minutes ago, surtur said:

Does Bailey have enough Talent to play alongside Miller and EP40? I know he is fast and can score in the AHL but other than that i haven't seen much of him.

Played on the 4th line, only 7 minutes of icetime. For a guy that played under 10 minutes, he was noticeable throughout the game.

Maybe not a top 6 guy, but I would like to see him with Gauds or Virtanen at some point.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Played on the 4th line, only 7 minutes of icetime. For a guy that played under 10 minutes, he was noticeable throughout the game.

Maybe not a top 6 guy, but I would like to see him with Gauds or Virtanen at some point.

JB has built some great depth for the final stretch of the regular season!!

SOME POSTERS:  TRADE TANEV, TRADE BOESER, TRADE SUTTER, TRADE BEAGLE.....:frantic:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

JB has built some great depth for the final stretch of the regular season!!

SOME POSTERS:  TRADE TANEV, TRADE BOESER, TRADE SUTTER, TRADE BEAGLE.....:frantic:

Id6be lying if I didnt want to see one of these guys traded after the season.

He seems off lately, don't know if it's the flu or he's banged up or perhaps there's nothing left in the tank but he hasn't been his dynamic self lately.  

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He seems off lately, don't know if it's the flu or he's banged up or perhaps there's nothing left in the tank but he hasn't been his dynamic self lately.  

same thing as last year. He is struggling with the 82 game season. I think his lack of muscle mass is putting a huge strain on his body from all the hits and whatnot that occur over an 82 game season. 

I feel like Petey's a bit frustrated, but still is so effective despite not scoring.

I hate that he looked for a call last night...it's Sutherland and hell hasn't frozen over.  We just don't get them, Petey.  Just wait until playoffs, that increases tenfold.  Have to just keep battling and don't let the play move on without you.  Refs are inefficient and inept in this league.  All about game management and biases.

I like that he gives some back...have to do it.  A nice little slash on the back of the legs as you skate away is sometimes a reminder that even when the refs are napping, it didn't go unnoticed.  I don't like dirty play but it becomes survival of the fittest.  Refs are glorified stars on ice...they love to be seen out there but really don't give a rat's ass about doing their jobs consistently or fairly.  They pick and choose to make a statement.  They're pitiful, but we have to accept it and learn to work around it.

Petey came close a few times...I think him being a bit "off" is the focus that's taken away when he's constantly at the receiving end of dirty plays and gets caught up in that.  I feel it keeps him there, in that moment, and a huge part of his success is based on being ahead of the play, not stuck behind it.  They targeted Quinn last night too....I only wish we had a REAL response that immediately sets a "NO" tone with our stars.  

He'll be fine.  He is fine....he does so many things that he's still an asset even if he's not hitting the net.  He still gets that kind of attention that allows others some room out there as a result and is so important to this team.

I disagree, Peaches.  100% - I don't feel it's anything to do with strain on his body...I feel it's more a mental thing right now as he adjusts to the Mickey Mouse school of officiating.  I see it when he's on the ice, looking for a call....that takes him out of things where he used to be right in the thick of them.  Playing catch up versus leading the charge.  He used to still make plays/passes from the ice after being knocked down but now the focus is more on "wth"?

I too notice that Petey is getting more frustrated with the reffing in this league. I can't imagine how frustrated he'd be with playoff officiating.

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

same thing as last year. He is struggling with the 82 game season. I think his lack of muscle mass is putting a huge strain on his body from all the hits and whatnot that occur over an 82 game season. 

Very odd statement, the more muscle mass you have to quicker you tire. It take a lot more oxygen and cardio to deal with being bigger.

there is a reason everytime a fighter goes up in weight class there is always a concern with there cardio

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Petey did not like whiffing on that shot last night :lol:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Petey did not like whiffing on that shot last night :lol:

Heart of a champion

Love this kid....

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Ever since the Calgary game where they were on him all the time, Petey has been far less noticeable. It’s beginning to be crunch time and a much more of a playoff like atmosphere, the game is getting tighter and teams are focusing in on our top guys.

If we want to have playoff success petey needs to figure out a way to elevate his game during these meaningful games like the true superstars are able to do. 

The good news is our captain Bo has shown true leadership and is going to do what ever it takes to drag us into the post season. 

• Burr 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ever since the Calgary game where they were on him all the time, Petey has been far less noticeable. It’s beginning to be crunch time and a much more of a playoff like atmosphere, the game is getting tighter and teams are focusing in on our top guys.

If we want to have playoff success petey needs to figure out a way to elevate his game during these meaningful games like the true superstars are able to do. 

The good news is our captain Bo has shown true leadership and is going to do what ever it takes to drag us into the post season. 

It would also help if the Nucks could elevate their PP to what it was earlier in the season, but Pete definitely needs to find a way to lessen the impact of the physical contact. 

Lately, Hughes is being targeted as well, but he is much harder to hit.  Most likely due to always being one of the smaller players on the ice throughout his life, he has learned how to evade much of the physical play.

• Hydration 1

Always wore my jersey's on the ice, been a fan for years, the only jersey I have ever bought and wear for games is Petey's.

I think with so much focus on him by the other teams best defenders, this is freeing up his team mates a little and it's showing on the score sheet.

Full confidence in this young man, and if he is true to form, the playoffs or a championship challenge is always where he seems to really shine.

GCG 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It would also help if the Nucks could elevate their PP to what it was earlier in the season, but Pete definitely needs to find a way to lessen the impact of the physical contact. 

Lately, Hughes is being targeted as well, but he is much harder to hit.  Most likely due to always being one of the smaller players on the ice throughout his life, he has learned how to evade much of the physical play.

In the long run, there are 2 ways to get the other team checking you less. First if you are shifty, you attract the defenders to you and you send the puck to your open teammate and take a hit in the process. Your teammate then makes a play or scores. When teams in the league catch this they may start backing off since checking you is perceived to be less effective and perhaps even dangerous for their D zone coverage. The second way is to be mobile all the time. You are moving your feet with your head up and your edge work allows you to evade checkers. 

E.P.'s skating and stick work are still not good enough to evade checking consistently. He has yet to mature physically.  It took Nathan Mckinnon 5 seasons to get there. This is why keeping Toffoli is important as Boeser and E.P. are still supporting players during many games. J.T. Miller is really the engine that drives the top line. It took him many seasons to mature. Now he is the adult leading his younger teammates. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Very odd statement, the more muscle mass you have to quicker you tire. It take a lot more oxygen and cardio to deal with being bigger.

there is a reason everytime a fighter goes up in weight class there is always a concern with there cardio

I am not talking about cardio. Look at what Kesler said back in 2011. If you don't remember he said you go into the season ripped and by the end of it you're out of shape - paraphrasing that. That is not saying he is out of shape cardio wise but you lose muscle mass because you can't workout like you do in the off season. All the travel and games put stress on your body and I am saying because of how little muscle mass Pettersson has it's having a greater impact on him. 

Two years in a row where he has started fading on the second half of the year.

14 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I am not talking about cardio. Look at what Kesler said back in 2011. If you don't remember he said you go into the season ripped and by the end of it you're out of shape - paraphrasing that. That is not saying he is out of shape cardio wise but you lose muscle mass because you can't workout like you do in the off season. All the travel and games put stress on your body and I am saying because of how little muscle mass Pettersson has it's having a greater impact on him. 

My anecdote is that Pettersson is falling more and having more trouble staying on his feet since the all star break. Your observation regarding body mass  may very well explain why Pettersson was seemingly playing bigger earlier in the season. 

24 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Not trying to be rude or toxic, but I don’t think you understand how muscle mass works.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Not trying to be rude or toxic, but I don’t think you understand how muscle mass works.

I don't think you know the difference been there, their and they're. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I don't think you know the difference been there, their and they're. 

I do I just chose not to care so there you go I’d like to let you know their kids are terrible people and they’re degenerates

Edit: I’m also sure if I went through your posts i could grammar nazi your post as well.

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1