The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Did anyone else notice Petey's first assist on Toffoli's goal. He hooked his own goal leg on the net during the wrap around to accelerate around the net faster

yep I noticed that but wasnt sure if it was on purpose or not. pretty slick if it was

Edited by AV's Coin

15 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Did anyone else notice Petey's first assist on Toffoli's goal. He hooked his own goal leg on the net during the wrap around to accelerate around the net faster

$hit you mean that was intentional? How crazy is this kid...

2 hours ago, Harvey Specter said:

That was definitely some crazy hockey IQ - props to Petey for trying it out - I was trying to figure out how he got the puck cross-crease to Toffoli like a slingshot and then I came across this Twitter post (stick-tap to Aaron and the same word choice too!) and the slow-mo reverse angle of the beauty. :towel:

Mystery solved, and if you frame-by-frame watch it, you can see how the puck was in the back of the net just a moment before Lehner and Martinez both re-directed their attention to Toffoli :shock:

A little dangerous though putting knee at risk. 

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A little dangerous though putting knee at risk. 

Seemed like he knew what he was doing... he knew he would fall down from the momentum of slingshotting around.

The foresight to now Toffoli would be waiting there is unreal.. sedin-esque 

35 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Seemed like he knew what he was doing... he knew he would fall down from the momentum of slingshotting around.

The foresight to now Toffoli would be waiting there is unreal.. sedin-esque 

Yeah for sure. But if the defender lost an edge and took Petey down with him while he was doing that type of play is where my worry lies. 

Didn’t happen though thankfully. 

Yeah Tofu has top 6 goal scoring instincts. He does really well with someone who’s a good passer. Made a great play to Horvat too for a goal. 

I really wish we can somehow sign Tofu. The top 6 we have with 

Miller-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Petey-Tofu

looks like a contending top 6. 

Peteys finally starting to win draws which opens up so much. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah for sure. But if the defender lost an edge and took Petey down with him while he was doing that type of play is where my worry lies. 

Didn’t happen though thankfully. 

Yeah Tofu has top 6 goal scoring instincts. He does really well with someone who’s a good passer. Made a great play to Horvat too for a goal. 

I really wish we can somehow sign Tofu. The top 6 we have with 

Miller-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Petey-Tofu

looks like a contending top 6. 

Peteys finally starting to win draws which opens up so much. 

If only we had leivo going as well!  Pretty solid bottom 6.   Leivo would thrive in n the playoffs much like motte has

• Upvote 1

- I'm not much for interviews, I do not like them, says Robert Lygdbäck and laughs ironically.

*Click*.

Ironically, our 30-minute conversation has just ended.

Växjö's physiotherapist, and Elias Pettersson's personal trainer, has from the first second managed to give a detailed insight into how one of the world's best players trains.

It's hard not to be totally enchanted.

Of Elias Pettersson's obsession. 

- He is very responsive and puts a lot of energy into what he needs to improve. Finally, I have a picture ready for me of what we are going to work on and what the next step is. He buys it in full, but what is fascinating about Elias is that he has already thought about it, before I have time to say anything. 

Is he a training freak?

- Absolutely. Incredibly professional. He has taken huge strides since he set foot in Växjö. 

640@60.jpgAt the top of the Stanley Cup scoring, only Nathan MacKinnon is better.Photo: DARRYL DYCK / AP TT NYHETSBYRÅN

The coach says: This is how Elias Pettersson trains 

Innate talent and an immense passion for the sport of ice hockey are often described as the two single biggest success factors in the Elias Pettersson package. 

Without it, no NHL. 

Although it is a simplified image. 

Having aptitude for a sport can take you far, but not all the way. More is needed.

Robert Lygdbäck has been allowed to follow from the first floor when Elias himself came to that realization. 

- He was very young when he came to us. A huge talent, but he has worked extremely hard to get to where he is today. He has always spent a lot of time training, but when he came to us he had not spent the hours in the gym. He was thin when he was younger and he has had to fight harder than others because of it. As time went on, things started to fall into place.

Their collaboration began on the day Pettersson signed for Växjö, in the spring of 2017. 

Then he weighed almost 75 kg. 

- Everyone talked about him gaining weight. He needed to get bigger. It was in our thinking, but we wanted him to be his best self and then the weight gain was just a by-product. Size and weight had to come when it came. We would make sure he took the next step, with balance, stability and raising the training dose properly. 

Every now and then, what was the goal image for him to be the best version of Elias Pettersson?

- He had heard the nagging: "You have to gain weight, you have to gain weight". We tried to turn it around, he would be as strong as possible with the body he had. He could face players who weighed much more. The relative strength would be better than anyone else, even though he would face guys who weighed 5-10 kg more, he would be stronger thanks to his balance and body control. 

Do you know what he weighs today?

- Yes, although I can not say too much now. Elias and Vancouver decide there whether his weight should be public or not. He weighs 80+ guaranteed, a good bit over 80. There is starting to be some muscle on him. 

FIVE AREAS PETTERSSON ALWAYS TRAINS IN

One-leg bend. Comes in several different variants, angles and weights.  

Outcome steps. Both front and rear.

Hip-dominant exercises. On one and two legs. The back side of the muscles is used more, such as the buttocks and back thighs.

Rotations and anti-rotations. With cable and rubber band.

Changes in direction. Sprints, technology and spontaneous, like different ball sports.

"More power than you understand"

Lygdbäck believes that it is always rewarding and rewarding with Pettersson. 

Vancouver's superstar himself often knows what he needs to improve, what tools need to be added to his repertoire.

As on the ice, Pettersson has a unique ability to read events and processes. 

- A lot of things characterize him, but I want to highlight body awareness. The performance of certain exercises or movements he can correct very quickly if he notices that a set was not 110 percent perfection. He is very good at adjusting and huxflux looks incredibly good. It is probably also visible in his game. You do not have to tell him that he made a mistake, he already knows that, says Lygdbäck who wants to add: 

- I can be biased, but his relative strength is high. He has considerable weights when he runs in the gym. These are not light weights. 

That's probably the image of him. Thin and light on the ice - the same in the gym.

- It is easy to connect it, but it is good much more power in that body than you understand. 

An incorrect image, in other words. 

- Absolutely. If you look at design versus weight on dumbbells and other paraphernalia. 

640@60.jpgVancouver is currently down 3-1 in games against the Golden Knights.Photo: MARC DESROSIERS / USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGE AGENCY

"We have never run a bench press"

The NHL's regular season is played over 82 rounds and for half of the teams, playoffs await, so there is little time for build-up and physical development during the season. 

As a result, Robert Lygdbäck's role becomes even more important. 

It is in Sweden, during the summer, that the foundation is laid for Pettersson.

- We do not work classic strength training. We rarely do a regular leg bend, we often work on one leg and in different movement planes. 

Does he max out?

- Absolutely. He has phases in his training when he has to stimulate the maximum strength. No talk. It is a cornerstone for him to build power and explosiveness.

Can you give an example of an exercise where he runs maximum weight?

- Unfortunately, I can not answer that. It is day by day, movement by movement. Then there is no pure standardization but there is always a variation. 

There is, or has been, a prejudice that hockey players bench, then they go on ice. It's been erased, huh?

- Haha yeah. We have never run a bench press. It is not part of his programming, although it can be a fun exercise to test sometimes. He runs dumbbells, cable presses and the like in a press pattern, but never a bench press with a barbell.

Programming ... he sounds like a robot.

- It sounded nice, huh? Lol! 

- It is a collective word for which program we run and what the content is. And how the train schedule goes week by week. 

What parts would you say he has improved the most in recent years?

- Balance. Bonfire control. Body control. He has developed his strength and repeated speed, and control in tight situations. He can get away from opposing slopes better. It has been one of his sub-goals, to be able to improve it. He manages to play more matches at a high level now as well. 

"Down in the mine - now we drive"

The clock is approaching 23, outside it has been dark for hours. 

There is only a simple goodbye left before the conversation with Robert Lygdbäck is over. 

He manages to throw out one last thing.

- Yes, I talked to Elias ten minutes before we started talking. 

How fun. What did you say then?

- We talked mostly about life and how he feels. A little about how it goes for him too. It's hard to avoid. 

I understand that. Before we say goodnight, do you have any pictures of the two of you that I can use in the text?

- So ... Sorry. I do not have a single picture of us, or him. I'm not much for selfies.

- When we meet, I'm more: Down in the mine. Here we go.

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/avslojar-nu-detaljerna-bakom-forvandlingen/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Pettersson has been MVP-calibre so far, but he will need to the play the greatest game of his life tonight.

He's already exceeded even the loftiest expectations for his NHL playoff debut, and he's proven that the future of this team is safe in his hands. There is no longer any question.

But tonight we find out just how special he truly is.