The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

49 minutes ago, crobar said:

Just imagine if Petey and Hughes sign team friendly deals because of each other. (Impossible?) Holy $&!# Bennning just became god.

You know, the whole crew are bud's.  Maybe Benji could work that angle the way that what's his name, Gillies used to do......

/s

Edited by Crabcakes

On 9/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Gotta love Petey.    Also...he's staying in Van for the off season...."home".

This sort of thing makes me laugh when some posters on this forum pretend that they know more about the inside workings of the team than our local hockey reporters.  And who suggest the reporters  are always just making stuff up and don’t have any more access than we do.

All the local guys have deep contacts in the organization and relationships with other people in the hockey world that have contacts deep in other organizations.

1 hour ago, crobar said:

Just imagine if Petey and Hughes sign team friendly deals because of each other. (Impossible?) Holy $&!# Bennning just became god.

I am actually thinking they will sign matching deals.  With the cap as it is, I don’t see those deals hitting the $10 million AAV mark either even on a max term (which probably won’t happen nexuses we can’t afford it and they might want a bridge deal to let the cap issues sort out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

This sort of thing makes me laugh when some posters on this forum pretend that they know more about the inside workings of the team than our local hockey reporters.  And who suggest the reporters  are always just making stuff up and don’t have any more access than we do.

All the local guys have deep contacts in the organization and relationships with other people in the hockey world that have contacts deep in other organizations.

Murph doesn't tend to fabricate nonsense and blast it out over Twitter etc either FWIW.

Maybe that's one of the reasons he's actually hanging with the players...?;)

• Vintage 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, 250Integra said:

What a guy. Back on the ice already after a few weeks off. He's going to bring us the Stanley Cup one day.

Hopefully that kind of work ethic will instill a culture inside of the locker room. Not that our players aren't already good professionals. Having your best player do this goes a very long way for young teams. 

Not that I'm questioning the work ethic of our star, but anyone else wondering why there is ice at RA at this time?  And...why would he be working out there?  Isn't there any contractual issues that prevent players from interacting with coaches/using team practice facilities during the off season?  

Good 

11 hours ago, skategal said:

Not that I'm questioning the work ethic of our star, but anyone else wondering why there is ice at RA at this time?  And...why would he be working out there?  Isn't there any contractual issues that prevent players from interacting with coaches/using team practice facilities during the off season?  

Good point but I believe it's a case of the teams are not permitted to instruct or have then follow a work out plan

I wonder if Benning has seriously considered trying to extend Petey and Hughes now.

It would give you some cost certainty going forward so you know what you can commit to in other contracts beyond this year.  You can also leverage their desire to have better line mates.  “Hey Petey, we REALLY want to re-sign Toffoli but can’t squeeze him in right now unless you can sign for $8 million or less” ... same with Hughes and Tanev.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wonder if Benning has seriously considered trying to extend Petey and Hughes now.

It would give you some cost certainty going forward so you know what you can commit to in other contracts beyond this year.  You can also leverage their desire to have better line mates.  “Hey Petey, we REALLY want to re-sign Toffoli but can’t squeeze him in right now unless you can sign for $8 million or less” ... same with Hughes and Tanev.

I honestly don't want him to undermine their worth at all by pressuring them by tying in "other guys" as if their decision impacts anything other than their relationship with the team.  They're selfless players but I don't know that you should exploit that in any way when it comes down to their status and security.  Don't cut corners here or "guilt" them into anything.  Don't want them to have baggage involved with signing on the dotted line. 

Others?  Sure.  Petey/Quinn....hell no.

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly don't want him to undermine their worth at all by pressuring them by tying in "other guys" as if their decision impacts anything other than their relationship with the team.  They're selfless players but I don't know that you should exploit that in any way when it comes down to their status and security.  Don't cut corners here or "guilt" them into anything.  Don't want them to have baggage involved with signing on the dotted line. 

Others?  Sure.  Petey/Quinn....hell no.

Except for it is the truth and not manipulation.  If we have a $10 million per year cap hit for each of them looming, we can't sign really sign much of anyone beyond this year as our cap crunch next year is hellacious especially including a potential/likely ELC bonus hit of around $4 million pushed into that same year.

It can easily be tied to events out of the team's control so no blowback on their relationship.  We didn't foresee the pandemic flattening the cap, we didn't foresee the team being so far ahead so early, etc, etc.  We as an organization will commit to spending to the cap and trying to keep making our chances better, you are key pieces of the organization so partnering with us really gives us the best chance to have a perennial winner for years.  Gillis/Gilman employed this strategy in signing players and it worked, no one was ruffled by it at all, and to this day you hear the players from that era say with pride that they all worked together and with management to give the best chance to win.  They all left something on the table to ice a contender.

• Cheers 1

On 9/25/2020 at 6:13 AM, skategal said:

Teams can leave their facilities open as part of the protocol for off-season training.  

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14439

NEW YORK (Sept. 24, 2020) – The National Hockey League announced today the Protocol for Off-Season Training ahead of the 2020-21 season, which is effective for each Club at the conclusion of the 2020 Stanley Cup Final. Start dates for both Training Camp and the 2020-21 regular season have not yet been set.

The health and safety of all Players and Club personnel continue to be of top priority, and will dictate how the Protocol for Off-Season Training, and any progression thereafter, may evolve.

The Protocol, which is similar to the Phase 2 Protocol from the 2019-20 Return to Play plan, was agreed to by the NHL and National Hockey League Players’ Association. It was also developed with the input of both the NHL and the NHLPA’s respective medical, epidemiology and infectious disease experts as well as Club medical personnel.

As outlined in the attached Protocol for Off-Season Training, each Club can open its training facility in the Club’s home city or allow gatherings of small groups of Players to engage in individualized training activities on a volunteer basis.

• Thanks 1