The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

This may be a hot take, but there is no way they should sign Pettersson to more then $8m per. If you look at teams that win, like Pit, they have players sign way below market rate so they can load up on superstars. In Crosby's first 2 seasons, he put up 102 points and then 120 points. Pettersson is currently sitting at 2 seasons of 66 points each (yes, they were shortened seasons, but still less than point per game). If Crosby settled for $8.7m, Petey should settle for less than $8m.

• Wat 1

55 minutes ago, BM24 said:

This may be a hot take, but there is no way they should sign Pettersson to more then $8m per. If you look at teams that win, like Pit, they have players sign way below market rate so they can load up on superstars. In Crosby's first 2 seasons, he put up 102 points and then 120 points. Pettersson is currently sitting at 2 seasons of 66 points each (yes, they were shortened seasons, but still less than point per game). If Crosby settled for $8.7m, Petey should settle for less than $8m.

Well I don't know about anything under 8 mil, but luckily for the Canucks, they have the advantage of being able to tailor these contracts to work against the economic effects due to COVID - which a team like the Leafs doesn't have the luxury of having (as they've already signed their big dogs to albatross contracts). There are people on here who would be much more knowledgable about the specifics, but you get the gist... 

1 hour ago, BM24 said:

Entirely depends on how he develops this year. If he can't get above a point-per-game, he's probably looking at around $8M. However, his playoffs this past year were superb and if he can carry that into regular season hockey, we might be looking at 100 points for Petey. If that's the case, we're looking closer to the $10M+ mark.

1 hour ago, BM24 said:

Cap % at the time Crosby signed was different. Cap during that season was 56.7 million, allocating Crosby 15.3% of the cap. If he signed that contract right now, it would be a 12.5 million cap hit, the same as the current best player.

With the comparable contracts that are currently signed around the NHL, Petey is definitely in the 9-10 million tier at the moment with potential to soon creep into the 11 million dollar player range if he keeps progressing.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, BM24 said:

I agree with what you say, that we need to sign Petey at reasonable cap. But the cap was 64 mil back then and 8.7 m is 13.5% of the team's salary. 13.5% of 81 mil (current cap) is 11 mil. Crosby signed what was considered one of the largest contracts at the time. Also note that this was when long contracts (12 years) was allowed so Crosby was able to give the Pens a discount in return for stability (stability as in 12 years of guaranteed 8.7 mil income no matter what happened to his health). 

Considering that the cap is staying flat for the next few years and that EP is clearly a level below Crosby at the early stages of their respective careers, I think getting Petey at around 10% of the total cap hit of 8 mil per year seems like a good deal for the Canucks assuming that it's an 8 year deal. If it's a bridge deal, then it absolutely should be less than 8. More like 6-7 mil for 3 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

I agree with what you say, that we need to sign Petey at reasonable cap. But the cap was 64 mil back then and 8.7 m is 13.5% of the team's salary. 13.5% of 81 mil (current cap) is 11 mil. Crosby signed what was considered one of the largest contracts at the time. Also note that this was when long contracts (12 years) was allowed so Crosby was able to give the Pens a discount in return for stability (stability as in 12 years of guaranteed 8.7 mil income no matter what happened to his health). 

Considering that the cap is staying flat for the next few years and that EP is clearly a level below Crosby at the early stages of their respective careers, I think getting Petey at around 10% of the total cap hit of 8 mil per year seems like a good deal for the Canucks assuming that it's an 8 year deal. If it's a bridge deal, then it absolutely should be less than 8. More like 6-7 mil for 3 years.

Boeser  makes 5.9 Million?? Petey will make way more min 8 Million X 3 yrs

Petey will be getting big money minimum if he wants short term deal and see where cap goes-- 

3 yrs X 8.3 million  2021 -2023   ----- Then lock at 6 yrs X 9.6 million

Hughes -- Covid  cap - 3 yrs X 7 million ---- Then he will lock in at Chabot money 8 yrs X  8 million Dollars

Edited by wildcam
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Boeser  makes 5.9 Million?? Petey will make way more min 8 Million X 3 yrs

Petey will be getting big money minimum if he wants short term deal and see where cap goes-- 

3 yrs X 8.3 million  2021 -2023   ----- Then lock at 6 yrs X 9.6 million

Hughes -- Covid  cap - 3 yrs X 7 million ---- Then he will lock in at Chabot money 8 yrs X  8 million Dollars

I disagree. Petey would get 8-9 mil on a long term contract if he signed now (focus is on now, if he gets 100 point season, then I'd agree with you).

On a short term contract, I think we are looking at above Boeser money so 6 mil but below 8. I'd try to get him at 6.5-7 x 3 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, khay said:

I disagree. Petey would get 8-9 mil on a long term contract if he signed now (focus is on now, if he gets 100 point season, then I'd agree with you).

On a short term contract, I think we are looking at above Boeser money so 6 mil but below 8. I'd try to get him at 6.5-7 x 3 years.

So I said min 8.3 million X 3 years?????

You say between 6 -- 8 million?  Maybe 1 year for 7.5 ? That would be hometown discount for 1 yr...

Petey can file for arbitration  he will get good money...

Taylor Hall signed 1 yr 8 million?  Petey is a game changer? What would Vancouver look like with no Petey --- He is the key to the team offence... Sorry Hall is a winger not close to a Petey....

Edited by wildcam
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

So I said min 8.3 million X 3 years?????

You say between 6 -- 8 million?  Maybe 1 year for 7.5 ? That would be hometown discount for 1 yr...

Petey can file for arbitration  he will get good money...

Taylor Hall signed 1 yr 8 million?  Petey is a game changer? What would Vancouver look like with no Petey --- He is the key to the team offence... Sorry Hall is a winger not close to a Petey....

I said 6-7 mil for 3 years. Never said anything about a 1 year deal.

Arbitration results are nothing but certain.

Taylor Hall signed at that money due to fixed cap for the next few years. Hall is a former MVP and more importantly, a UFA. Petey is an RFA. Team has certain amount of control.  Hall, a former MVP, and UFA signed for 8 mil because of the league wide cap problems. Petey hasn't won an MVP, didn't break PPG yet, and he is an RFA. If he is signing a 1 year deal, he ain't getting 8. 

Nobody is questioning the importance of Petey to this team. With the current economic situations, the team would be crazy to hand him 10+ mil x 8 year contract. If it were 8-8.5 mil x 8 years, then you sign him because the cap is staying the same and 8 - 8.5 mil is only about 10% -- a fair allocation for a star offensive producer on your team. If it's a shorter term deal like 3 years, he is looking at most 7. As you said, Hall signed for 8 for 1 year as a UFA. Sure Petey is a better player than Hall but Hall is a UFA with all the leverage in the world and yet, he signed only for 8. Remember, it's not about who is the better player, they are both star players. The key difference here is that one is a UFA and the other guy is an RFA. You gotta take that into consideration in the contract negotiations.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

I said 6-7 mil for 3 years. Never said anything about a 1 year deal.

Arbitration results are nothing but certain.

Taylor Hall signed at that money due to fixed cap for the next few years. Hall is a former MVP and more importantly, a UFA. Petey is an RFA. Team has certain amount of control.  Hall, a former MVP, and UFA signed for 8 mil because of the league wide cap problems. Petey hasn't won an MVP, didn't break PPG yet, and he is an RFA. If he is signing a 1 year deal, he ain't getting 8. 

Nobody is questioning the importance of Petey to this team. With the current economic situations, the team would be crazy to hand him 10+ mil x 8 year contract. If it were 8-8.5 mil x 8 years, then you sign him because the cap is staying the same and 8 - 8.5 mil is only about 10% -- a fair allocation for a star offensive producer on your team. If it's a shorter term deal like 3 years, he is looking at most 7. As you said, Hall signed for 8 for 1 year as a UFA. Sure Petey is a better player than Hall but Hall is a UFA with all the leverage in the world and yet, he signed only for 8. Remember, it's not about who is the better player, they are both star players. The key difference here is that one is a UFA and the other guy is an RFA. You gotta take that into consideration in the contract negotiations.

I agree but an arbitrator could offer very high? Petey and his agent can wait it out if they play tough? 

Okay agree to disagree I honestly hometown discount  1 yr X 7.5 ...... 3 yrs X avg 8 million.... 

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree but an arbitrator could offer very high? Petey and his agent can wait it out if they play tough? 

Okay agree to disagree I honestly hometown discount  1 yr X 7.5 ...... 3 yrs X avg 8 million.... 

He's not going to get that much.  @khay is correct. 

I'd imagine both he and Hughes will be signing 3 year bridge deals. Pettersson likely between $6-7m and Hughes between $5-6.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's not going to get that much.  @khay is correct. 

I'd imagine both he and Hughes will be signing 3 year bridge deals. Pettersson likely between $6-7m and Hughes between $5-6.

You might be right, but I think based on skill alone, Hughes is the better player. Petey has more brand value though. The extra season of Pettersson might also be a difference maker.

• Upvote 1