Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

Recommended Posts

Pettersson is sensational. A real pro. Never stops trying to get better. Eye on the prize, sets such a great example. He'll do great things, like bring VAN a Cup one day.

 

I wonder what he thinks when he sees certain team mate(s), years older than him, mailing it in, being lazy, getting yelled at by the captain, benched by the coach, getting in the news for the wrong reasons.   

 

Never have to worry about Petey. His heart is in the right place.    

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 1:52 AM, N4ZZY said:

Good examples, man. Kane and Marchand, and who wouldn't want those two guys on their team, even with some maturity issues. I'd take Kane on my team any day. 

 

&^@# that Marchand guy, though. 

 

I don't want either of those two guys on my team.  I'd rather have Petey than either one of those guys.  In fact, I'd rather have Petey than both those guys.  Elite skill doesn't have to come packaged with a bad attitude.  Petey proves that over and over.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I don't want either of those two guys on my team.  I'd rather have Petey than either one of those guys.  In fact, I'd rather have Petey than both those guys.  Elite skill doesn't have to come packaged with a bad attitude.  Petey proves that over and over.  Go Canucks Go!

Oh come now, Its noce to support your own guys and all but try to stay in reality.

Kane is almost exactly 10 years older than Petey

10 years ago he had 230 points and 76 goals and a Stanley cup

Pete is about 100 point, 21 goals and a Cup shy

Next year Marchand will have had a Cup for 10 years ( he is 6 mo older than Kane

 

If Petey is to "prove" he belongs in the conversation with those two, he might want to WIN that cup this season

I'm not saying he won't get there, but Petey still has some "proving" to do

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nux_win said:

I don't want either of those two guys on my team.  I'd rather have Petey than either one of those guys.  In fact, I'd rather have Petey than both those guys.  Elite skill doesn't have to come packaged with a bad attitude.  Petey proves that over and over.  Go Canucks Go!

In fairness to Kane, he was a total POS early in his career, but has developed into a heck of a player and a very good leader.  He did really grow up.  Marchand is a far better player than I thought he would be, but is still a POS.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lmm said:

Oh come now, Its noce to support your own guys and all but try to stay in reality.

 

Staying in reality (each player's first two years...Kane didn't have a cup yet either at this point)

 

image.png

 

image.png

 

 

 

Another part of staying in reality is that Kane didn't win cups all by himself....this guy named Toews mattered, as did everything just lining up at the right time.  Goaltending, health, officiating, coaching (huge), who the opponents were and their status in relation to all those things, etc. all come into play.  He was a huge factor for sure...as Petey will be for us.  I take nothing away from Kane (or Marchand) ... both superstars in this league.  But don't take anything away from Petey, either, as he's going to slide right into that class.  Already is/has ... minus the cup part.  His team'll have to help him out with that part...it's not solely his doing (or those other guys who have cups).  No I in team.

 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lmm said:

Oh come now, Its noce to support your own guys and all but try to stay in reality.

Kane is almost exactly 10 years older than Petey

10 years ago he had 230 points and 76 goals and a Stanley cup

Pete is about 100 point, 21 goals and a Cup shy

Next year Marchand will have had a Cup for 10 years ( he is 6 mo older than Kane

 

If Petey is to "prove" he belongs in the conversation with those two, he might want to WIN that cup this season

I'm not saying he won't get there, but Petey still has some "proving" to do

That's the thing about the rat race, even if you win, you're still a rat.  I've been following the Canucks since the first season and I want a cup as much as anyone.  But, if possible, and it is possible in my opinion, I'd like to do it with a bit of class.  Petey is the guy for me.  Go Canucks Go!

 

P.S. - My opinions are my real opinions.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, BCNate said:

In fairness to Kane, he was a total POS early in his career, but has developed into a heck of a player and a very good leader.  

Kane was a total douche when he was in his teens but has turned into one of the best leaders in the game.  If you watch a hawks game and forget he's a hawk for a moment and just watch him, he is magic out there.  

Edited by Bell
  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petey is a guy that will turn up a notch when the game gets bigger. I look forward to see Petey in playoffs action tomorrow night!

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bell said:

Kane was a total douche when he was in his teens but has turned into one of the best leaders in the game.  If you watch a hawks game and forget he's a hawk for a moment and just watch him, he is magic out there.  

I agree. Ive watched the Hawks play live many times, and if you took even just half a period just to watch Patrick Kane, he's a wizard with the puck. Him and Panerin were almost like Daniel and Henrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 8:49 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Staying in reality (each player's first two years...Kane didn't have a cup yet either at this point)

 

image.png

 

image.png

 

 

 

Another part of staying in reality is that Kane didn't win cups all by himself....this guy named Toews mattered, as did everything just lining up at the right time.  Goaltending, health, officiating, coaching (huge), who the opponents were and their status in relation to all those things, etc. all come into play.  He was a huge factor for sure...as Petey will be for us.  I take nothing away from Kane (or Marchand) ... both superstars in this league.  But don't take anything away from Petey, either, as he's going to slide right into that class.  Already is/has ... minus the cup part.  His team'll have to help him out with that part...it's not solely his doing (or those other guys who have cups).  No I in team.

 

well you knowDeb we booth just said the same thing, except I don't give accolades for promise.

I did not take anything away from Petey, even though you read it that waY.

For my money he was the best Canuck forward last night, which proves your point, Captain Serious 2.0 JT Hossa, Tyler Sharp and Tyler Byfugien all took the night off.

but until he HAs done it, lets just keep Petey in the "potential" catagory 

 

and fwiw by this date in Kane's lifespan ( not NHL seasons played, years of life) he had just lifted the cup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid might be unstoppable when he adds 10-20 pounds. A 190-195 Petey sounds scary

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The kid might be unstoppable when he adds 10-20 pounds. A 190-195 Petey sounds scary

He is wiry strong. :) Just wait til he adds them pounds. :bigblush: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The kid might be unstoppable when he adds 10-20 pounds. A 190-195 Petey sounds scary

If he gets better in draws I sure hope he can become a Henrik Zetterberg, he's definitely got the feisty nature but just isn't good enough at draws (guys like Zetterberg and Backstrom have hovered around 50% for their careers, making them so dominant all-around).  Hope his time with Miller and Horvat results in him learning the tricks of the trade, because we know he can score, assist, play D and dish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

If he gets better in draws I sure hope he can become a Henrik Zetterberg, he's definitely got the feisty nature but just isn't good enough at draws (guys like Zetterberg and Backstrom have hovered around 50% for their careers, making them so dominant all-around).  Hope his time with Miller and Horvat results in him learning the tricks of the trade, because we know he can score, assist, play D and dish it.

I think the lack of raw strength has something to do with it. Notice how a lot of good faceoff-men are bigger centers? There are exceptions to the rule but I don't think you could argue against it generally speaking.

 

So once he adds 10-20 pounds of muscle it'll probably help him on the draw, especially if he takes pointers from guys like Beagle/Bo/Miller.

 

I am just excited for how much harder he'll rip the puck and faster he'll be as time goes by.

  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, lmm said:

Oh come now, Its noce to support your own guys and all but try to stay in reality.

Kane is almost exactly 10 years older than Petey

10 years ago he had 230 points and 76 goals and a Stanley cup

Pete is about 100 point, 21 goals and a Cup shy

Next year Marchand will have had a Cup for 10 years ( he is 6 mo older than Kane

 

If Petey is to "prove" he belongs in the conversation with those two, he might want to WIN that cup this season

I'm not saying he won't get there, but Petey still has some "proving" to do

Listen, I'm not saying EP40 is as good as Showtime, but the gaps a lot closer than your stats say. EP started in the NHL at an older age than Kane 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petey will be hungry for a goal next game, he was buzzing around all night.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Listen, I'm not saying EP40 is as good as Showtime, but the gaps a lot closer than your stats say. EP started in the NHL at an older age than Kane 

Right, it's like arguing that Hughes' stats are more impressive than Makar's because Makar is a year older.

And you'd be right.

Similarly, Petey's first two years are a touch better than Kane from a points-per-game basis, but not quite as much when compared to the same years age-wise.

So, if Petey were only 97% as good as Kane over the course of his career...I could accept that. (in fact, I think he'll be better but I may be biased).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s tracking to be a more all around player people really sleep on defensive ability which is driven by his hockey sense at both ends of the rink.  He’s willing to get nasty when he needs to more than any of our younger players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.