The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

EP is playing wing on a second line - coaches seem to want him to ignite a couple of guys who have been slow getting points lately.   Yikes, Frolunda followed up a great shift with another goal.   Bit of a hole for the Lakers at 2-0.    Come'on EP, your teams needs a goal!

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Does Tanev play for us?  I thought mostly he was just hurt. Last year he played 53 games, if we are lucky, he might get that many again this year - that is if we count all of the games when he is subpar because he if playing hurt and thus less effective.  Staying healthy is a skill, and Tanev does not have it - it s not merely a matter of chance that some players are hurt so much and others not.  Injury is more attached to the way players play and train.  Players that are injured a lot tend to keep getting injured until they breakdown entirely and can no longer play the game.  The time to move Tanev is before that happens, and with the way he keeps getting hurt, I’d say we have a closing wi where his value in trade diminishes with each new injury.

You nailed my main reason for wanting to move Tanev over the past 2 seasons. To many fans assume skilled players last like the Twins. Tanev's career could end at any time just like any other player. The dif is as you outlined he plays a dangerous game that leads to injuries. As SilentSam clearly points out the value that Tanev offered is likely going to shift downward. I'm hoping the Laffers get booted out of the playoffs quickly and see the value of a shutdown d-man like Tanev. He gets to go back home and gets a CUP shot with the Laffers next year. The Rielly-Tanev pairing at World's two years ago was golden. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, a year ago Tanev was probably worth a mid to high first and a prospect.  Now, who knows?

still the same, I would think.  If he doesn't get that, he doesn't move him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

still the same, I would think.  If he doesn't get that, he doesn't move him

It's kind of irrelevant, since the chances of JB moving him are vanishingly small. Tanev is the type/quality of player a GM looks to acquire, not the kind you dump.

24 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

It's kind of irrelevant, since the chances of JB moving him are vanishingly small. Tanev is the type/quality of player a GM looks to acquire, not the kind you dump.

Nobody is suggesting we 'dump' him FWIW.

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe this might sound like blasphemy... but if Pettersson comes up to the NHL... maybe have him centre a line with Horvat on the wing? :ph34r:

Horvat has a good combination of both size, speed and puck handling ability.... let him be a "Bo" in a china shop, Boeser with the snipes and Pettersson with the set-ups.  

It's not blasphemy... it's just incorrect.  If anything, Pettersson plays the wing and Horvat the center.  Horvat doesn't play wing, but Pettersson has/does.  Besides the fact that center is so darn important, it makes more sense to have the more experienced of the two playing center as opposed to wing.   However, at some point I 99% expect it to be Pettersson manning the 1st line center, and Horvat centering the 2nd line. 

• Upvote 1

EP's team lost 2-1 today and Frolunda did a great job tying up EP.   Mattsson made some good saves but Lakers didn't look as dangerous as they usually do and this was probably the least impactful game I have seen EP play this year.   

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

EP's team lost 2-1 today and Frolunda did a great job tying up EP.   Mattsson made some good saves but Lakers didn't look as dangerous as they usually do and this was probably the least impactful game I have seen EP play this year.   

Was wondering about that game as I didn’t get to watch today. Seemed like the Lakers offense was really suppressed (just going by some of the stats). Solid game plan on the Frölunda side or did Växjö have a poor outing?

2 hours ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Frolunda badly outplayed Vaxjo today. 

Didn't look like Vaxjo came to play, based on what I saw

Including EP from what I saw.   He did battle through some hard checks but the entire team played like they stopped in Colorado for brownies on the way to the game.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Including EP from what I saw.   He did battle through some hard checks but the entire team played like they stopped in Colorado for brownies on the way to the game.

Yup. I've seen about 20 games this year and this was his worst. 

Ah well, everyone has those days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Yup. I've seen about 20 games this year and this was his worst. 

Ah well, everyone has those days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I am in same territory (perhaps more if you count WJC) and I agree, he didn't look "on" but, then again, no one else on his team did either.

Växjö was missing som core players, hasnt had anything to play for sin christmas and with just 3 games left to playoffs i think its quite expected They might have a few "off moments" 

First period was all Frölunda, second was Växjös and third was 75/25 to Frölunda... EP had som good setups to OpenOffice players in the slot which They failed to score on, i agree They didnt play on their best, neither did  EP but even on a bad day you can see his ups at moments.. Thats the reason he has all those points, you can never leave him at his own at any time

• Upvote 1