The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 23/06/2017 at 4:41 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Edit: After a few hours to let the pick sink in, I don't hate it. I'd still rather have Vilardi or Glass but if Petterson can fill out he looks like he could be a good player. His stats in his men's league are quite good. I'll give him a chance. 

Lol.

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I'm super stoked for these prospects as well, but the window is pretty hard to see through with our current defensive prospects. 

Paul Coffey ..35 yrs back

Mike Green..12 about?

Letang..^same

The rapid ascent of some of these offensive-type D, is probably attributable(a large % portion) to the surging nucleus of great young fwds.

So you can draft/trade for young candidates, who could fill the vacuum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I'm super stoked for these prospects as well, but the window is pretty hard to see through with our current defensive prospects. 

Fair enough, but even in 2011 the only good defensive prospect we had was Edler, who was already 24, and Tanev who barely played. You have to assume they are eventually going to start going for it, and either get lucky with picks, or fill their gaps on defence, ala Hamhuis and Ehrhoff. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, kid just broke a 35 year old record. PUMP THE BRAKES EVERYBODY!

:P

Hold on, he just broke the record for most points by a rookie in the SHL and still has another game to add to his total. Plus he past the league leader in points in the same game, all while playing less games. Man I better temper my expectations to AHL starter, not NHL superstar, damn lol

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Kids a beauty. Hopefully he gets 2 or whatever more points in this his last 2 or so matches

Pfft, Elias don't need 2 more periods.

43 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

He has to make the team next year. Canucks fans need this. 

No, he needs to go to Utica to develop so we can sign the Sedins for another year.

:unsure:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

imagine putting Brock on one wing and Juolevi feeding him break out passes from the D zone....it will be sensory overload like victoria secrets models delivering t-bone steaks and crown royal to your door...

:lol::lol::lol: +1

21 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not directed at you so much but G is blocked so to further your point...

Firstly, most teams don't have 3 top 3 and another 3 top 6 players playing on their top 2 lines (for both cap and availability reasons). There's usually at least one more 'complimentary' guy who would likely be considered more 'middle 6' on their own, on each line. 

So realistically, you're looking at 4 'legit', play driving top 6 players in your top 6. Right now we have Horvat, Boeser and quite likely, Pettersson as 3 of those 4.

Now whether we sign say Kane (or another UFA, now or later), or we draft a Svech/Zadina this summer or maybe Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind etc develop into that 4th spot or we trade to fill it...time will tell. But we're clearly not shy of options there and odds are one of those options rises to the occasion/becomes available.

From there, we're practically overflowing with the 'complimentary middle 6' guys to fill in around them as the 3rd and 6th guys. Could be any of Baer, Goldobin, Leip, Virtanen, Dahlen, Gaudette Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc, etc. We're not shy of options there either and that doesn't include trades, UFA's or future drafts.

As for the D, we certainly could use one (or more) blue chip prospects, ideally on the right side, preferably with some offensive acumen. The top 10 in this draft (where we're picking) happens to be chock-a-block full of just that FWIW. And most should be NHL ready (though obviously not at their peak) in 2-3 years (or likely sooner in the case of guys like Dahlin, Bouchard etc).

From there we have loads of depth D ('too much' in fact) to fill in behind them and trade off whichever cream doesn't rise to the top/becomes dispensable. On the left we've got Edler, MDZ, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Pouliot, McEneny, Brisebois and Rathbone here and/or in the pipeline. On the right we have Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, Chatfield, Brassard and hopefully our 1st this year.

And again, that doesn't include trades, UFA's etc. And as you can see by that depth at F and D, we WILL be trading some of those guys away to either fill holes, as upgrades and/or provide more futures.

We're really not as far off as many here seem to think. We're damn close to the critical mass that allows you to be self-sustaining by trading off the guys who are older/more expensive or young guys who are good but not good enough to beat out your best/fit on the roster.

It seems to me the problem is that some people have trouble seeing past the here and now. The team and it's prospect pool isn't some stationary, static thing. There are more drafts, there will be more trades, we will sign UFA's, young players will continue to develop.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pfft, Elias don't need 2 more periods.

No, he needs to go to Utica to develop so we can sign the Sedins for another year.

:unsure:

This young core is gonna be putting butts in those seats real soon. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, ForzaTikare said:

Växjö coach after the game when he got the question "How do you do to make Elias take those steps?"

- Honestly? We try to keep out of the way, we can swap him from RW to LW or C and he will be straight on, no errors.. He has seen how you are supposed to do in the D zone, then just does it. To be perfectly honest we haven't taught him anything about hockey, its him teaching us.

Wasn't it someone at camp that said he wasn't really paying close attention to instruction, then just watched what others were doing and went out there and did it better?

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I went back to the 2017 NHL Entry Draft GDT and looking back at the reactions when Pettersson was selected is quite amusing, to say the least.

Yes it is haha.  I was literally one of VERRRRY few who were team Pettersson from the start.  Everyone wanted Cody Glass.

• Upvote 2