The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Temper your expectations, kid."

- CDC Development Expertz

you're kind of being a douche about that kind of thing lately.  I get it's the off season, but you're a better poster than that, imo.  There's nothing wrong with a little more cautious approach

1 minute ago, stawns said:

you're kind of being a douche about that kind of thing lately.  I get it's the off season, but you're a better poster than that, imo.  There's nothing wrong with a little more cautious approach

Yup. His own coach in Vaxjo is advocating caution and patience and the need for EP to get stronger to succeed in the NHL. Seems like those on this forum who agree with coach Sam Hallam are accused of not being high on the kid. That's hogwash. 

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup. His own coach in Vaxjo is advocating caution and patience and the need for EP to get stronger to succeed in the NHL. Seems like those on this forum who agree with coach Sam Hallam are accused of not being high on the kid. That's hogwash. 

in the Dhaliwal quotes a few posts up I don't see anything wrong with what his coach is saying, seems very positive to me. He does need to get stronger and adapt to the NHL.... doesn't mean another year in Sweden is the right move vs. sheltered minutes here. I'm sure Green will be saying nearly the exact same things as the Lakers coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Temper your expectations, kid."

- CDC Development Expertz

You and 48MPHSlapshot need to stop with this. there's nothing wrong with that at all..

At this point he's a lock for the team, but the last two years IMO were anomalies for rookies scoring at a torrid pace right out of the gate. He could start out like Horvat or Nolan Patrick did, and people in this city would call him a bust, because of the incredible expectations people put upon these players.

Although I'm not going to shove down the weight stuff (guys like Klingberg entered the league at 6'2 170lbs), but he still needs to get stronger, and many thought his play in NA has been quite spotty. we'll see how he translates.

He' an exciting player for sure.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Same coach, just as creatively picking only key parts of his quote;

''he goes to Vancouver, they need to give him support''

and

''he will be a top player in the league."

People are questioning the ''oh, he'll need a year or so in Utica'' carbon copy statement. That's all? He does not look like he will need it... He might? But, again, it does not look like it.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

At 19

image.png.9b491dfd531aebdb9573dc4f6c378683.png

At 21  :lol:

Image result for ryan kesler posing

LOL, I'm personally not that worried about Pettersson's weight...

Of course at 30 something with a no trade clause?  :unsure:

Image result for ryan kesler posing

"you call me Fat-Boy?"  Is that really Kesler, or one of those fixed pictures?  

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Don't see this being the case at all...on the contrary. Who is accusing who of not being high on EP?

Actually, I remember last year being told I had no idea about hockey, for suggesting during camp that JV and maybe Brock could end up playing with the big team...

And I wasn't even sure...

Everyone here is high on this kid...kid... Don't think many here are oblivious to the fact, he is a kid and still far from the finished article. 

However, after his exploits in SHL, its fair to have higher expectations and to being ecstatic about him being ours and possibly coming over to the big club...  

Point being, Canucks will make the call, when they see him ready for the NHL.

And after watching other small young players succeeding, its fair to think, we see him next season with the Canucks... time will tell

By the way his own coach advocating it... of course he would love nothing more than to see EP stay another season...after all he just won them the league.

17 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

image.png.f21792cb73ffe64c0458650a3064bfa5.pngimage.png.5e312869a87b43c734c505cb896144fe.pngimage.png.c9425f97c1ca7fe4e618c78b1d858d37.pngimage.png.c45133fa83b640b9a6bc663c5f12eb5f.png

image.png

image.pngRemind me again What Nylander is doing this post season? Virtanen > Nylander in 2 years time, quote me back, see u in 2020

Count me in the party that wanted Bennings head at the time for taking Pettersson over Vilardi, then Lind or Hague. The draft can be an emotional time, especially after a couple of pops. It also didn't help I wanted Tkachuk over Juolevi, and was a little sour from the previous draft.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think there are any serious hockey fans, who understand the game, that believe Pettersson will come in, break a bunch of NHL records his first year and bring us a Cup within 2 years. That's not realistic. BUT, he is an elite prospect that has broken Swedish records (as a kid), and seems to excel whether it's a regular season SHL game or playoffs. The guy is a winner. He will help make the Canucks a much better team in the future. We can get excited about that.

Using an old dynasty team, as a for fun comparison with our own

Gretzky - Pettersson

Messier - Horvat

Kurri - Boeser

Anderson - Dahlen

Tikkanen - Lind

MacTavish - Virtanen

Coffey - Dahlin? Boqvist? (we need help here)

Fuhr - Demko

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1