The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Petterssons teammates after todays Game "he is brilliant, really belongs here" 

Grönborg "he did well today but i want to see more, cannot guarantee a WHC spot" 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/rLKQXR/hyllas-efter-debuten-han-hor-hemma-har

One of Swedens biggest hockeycolumnists "Pettersson showed that he is a must-have in the WHC" 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/VRBEoV/wennerholm-elias-pettersson-visade-att-han-ar-given-i-vm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Grönborg "he did well today but i want to see more, cannot guarantee a WHC spot" 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/rLKQXR/hyllas-efter-debuten-han-hor-hemma-har

One of Swedens biggest hockeycolumnists "Pettersson showed that he is a must-have in the WHC" 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/VRBEoV/wennerholm-elias-pettersson-visade-att-han-ar-given-i-vm

I maintain that Gronberg is Sweden's Pierre Dorion and is an idiot

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sounds like it legitimately is a coach unwilling to accept what's best for the team instead of constructively asking/wanting improvements.

I dont think it will be the end of the world if Pettersson gets cut. If anything, it will motivate him in the offseason to prove the coach wrong. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, winthecup said:

I dont think it will be the end of the world if Pettersson gets cut. If anything, it will motivate him in the offseason to prove the coach wrong. 

Agreed.  It does have some risk to it, Patterson could snub the team Sweden in the future for the treatment that they treated him from in the first place.   Proving the Sweden coach wrong is one thing but how the management treated him using the coach's decision might have some effect in the future so they better be careful because Patterson would see how the coach used other players in SHL making the team and has a huge role while he is being cut would leave a bad taste to his mouth.   It is up to the management team to persuade Gronborg to keep him based on the MVP season he had.   The Olympics is one thing but to cut from WHC is bad enough so its like 0-2.   What more does he have to prove at his age?   He had proven that he could perform in the playoffs and the final with higher physical plays than WHC, imo.   

I’m gonna be happy either way. 

If Pettersson makes it, the WHC will give him a taste of a higher level of competition (at least in terms of the player quality on the top teams), which hopefully helps his progression and makes the NHL adjustment next season just a little smaller.

If he’s cut, then he gets an earlier start to his work this summer, which is also very important. He needs to make these next few months count, so a couple extra weeks of offseason training could be a good thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Any stats from the game please?

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m gonna be happy either way. 

If Pettersson makes it, the WHC will give him a taste of a higher level of competition (at least in terms of the player quality on the top teams), which hopefully helps his progression and makes the NHL adjustment next season just a little smaller.

If he’s cut, then he gets an earlier start to his work this summer, which is also very important. He needs to make these next few months count, so a couple extra weeks of offseason training could be a good thing.

plus if his WHC coach has some sort of an issue with EP then maybe its best if he's not on that team. Its icing on the cake anyway after an amazing season. 

2 hours ago, winthecup said:

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I kinda wish he would just bail on this whole thing now.

Pettersson has had a long season. A great season, but a long one, with a lot of things happening. Therefore, I agree that I would be happy if his season ended now. Of course we all want him to do well and cap-off his great season with yet another highpoint - making the Swedish team and doing well in the tournament. But I suspect that he might be better off if he can take a bit of rest, then start serious summer training.

So a kid coming from Europe moving to a different country with a different language and a different sized ice surface is a bust after one year because he didn't dominate the second best professional hockey league in the world. 

Seems a little harsh even if he is a leafs prospect.  Kids got the tools, needs a few years, that is not unreasonable for a first round draft pick.  Maybe he is all wheels and no brain, wouldn't be the first but the Leafs lucked out when he fell to them.  Still a very good prospect but has some work to do.  Same can be said for most prospects, that is why they are prospects.

All wheels and no brain is not an unfair description of Jake either, he seems to finally be getting it.  They are doing the right thing letting Liljegren stew in the AHL for 2-3 years to really see what they got and develop him.  Would have been better if Jake had taken that path instead of being rushed into the league.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

How many U20 dmen typically tear up the AHL?

just curious..

i will admit his year hasn't been amazing by many accounts , but dmen take time and I think he has lots of potential. His trade value should be slightly lower now.

i would still be all over a 1st + Liljegren for Tanev package and if we had to add a little sure.

i think TL will be a solid second pairing PMD and second PP unit guy in a few years time.

His year is somewhat similar to Dermott's first year in the ahl 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Hey Alf, I believe you are correct, if I recall the picks were Jakub 

Zboril, DeBrusk, and then Zachary Senyshyn. The Bruins have been taking a lot of heat for those three picks. Considering they passed on Matthew Barzal, Kyle Connor and our own Boeser I am not surprised. Can you imagine if Boston had those 3 in their line-up???

I think they are happy with debrusk. 16 goals and 43 points in 70 games is pretty impressive for a rookie.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So a kid coming from Europe moving to a different country with a different language and a different sized ice surface is a bust after one year because he didn't dominate the second best professional hockey league in the world. 

Seems a little harsh even if he is a leafs prospect.  Kids got the tools, needs a few years, that is not unreasonable for a first round draft pick.  Maybe he is all wheels and no brain, wouldn't be the first but the Leafs lucked out when he fell to them.  Still a very good prospect but has some work to do.  Same can be said for most prospects, that is why they are prospects.

All wheels and no brain is not an unfair description of Jake either, he seems to finally be getting it.  They are doing the right thing letting Liljegren stew in the AHL for 2-3 years to really see what they got and develop him.  Would have been better if Jake had taken that path instead of being rushed into the league.

I agree with that and I don't even like Liljegren. Don't waste your time with Alf, it's not worth it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Isam said:

I think they are happy with debrusk. 16 goals and 43 points in 70 games is pretty impressive for a rookie.

It wasn't meant as a slight on DeBrusk. I know hindsight is always 20-20 but the players Boston chose were not ranked that high...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

It wasn't meant as a slight on DeBrusk. I know hindsight is always 20-20 but the players Boston chose were not ranked that high...

Zboril was ranked higher then Conner and debrusk was ranked higher then boeser. The only reach was seneshyn.