The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sums it up pretty well:

EDIT: And of course, the all time league records for U20 scoring, both regular season and playoffs. ;) 

...and yet there are still those that see him spending time in Utica to "learn the NA game"....which last time I checked was the same game...smaller ice...

Training camp should be just about enough time to get used to that...considering most of his playing time is spent in front of the other teams net...well away from the boards...

11 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...and yet there are still those that see him spending time in Utica to "learn the NA game"....which last time I checked was the same game...smaller ice...

Training camp should be just about enough time to get used to that...considering most of his playing time is spent in front of the other teams net...well away from the boards...

what's wrong with that?  It's a huge jump between the SHL and the NHL and very few have been able to translate their SHL success to NHL success.  Quit being a douche and trying to shame people's opinions

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I last years draft was today where would EP be chosen?  I am thinking 2 after NH.  Am I off on this?

I have EP at #2 in the redraft. But of course we are all subject to a certain "homer bias". It will be interesting to see where he is when some of the "redrafts" from credible sources are posted. But it looks to me like #2 is right. Hischier had a very good season -- and in the NHL -- but I could see Pettersson passing him. He has a shot at being the best player in the draft.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

what's wrong with that?  It's a huge jump between the SHL and the NHL and very few have been able to translate their SHL success to NHL success.  Quit being a douche and trying to shame people's opinions

Some people, like Rob Vollmann  

go to a lot of effort to calculate league translation factors based on how players do when the transition from some other league to the NHL. In fact, there are have many players who move on from the SHL to the NHL and some have done alright (Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Sedins). Pettersson has actually OUTPERFORMED all those players. It is hard to project his likely NHL performance because there are no comparable players. He has outperformed everyone who has played in the same leagues.

The SHL translation factor for the SHL is 0.58. That means that, on average, players who have recently transitioned from the SHL score a rate in the NHL in the next year (based on points per game) of 58% of their scoring rate in the SHL. There is a lot of variance, and Pettersson might do worse than average. But his statistical unbiased expected value is 0.78 PPG. That is an excellent 2nd line level and legitimate even for a first liner. It translates to 64 pts over 82 games, Hischier had 52 pts in 82 games this year. With normal improvement he would probably go the low 60s next year, so the two of them might be comparable.

Possibly Pettersson's slight build makes the Canucks more cautious and they might want him in Utica next year. But, based on expected NHL performance, he deserves a very long look at the NHL level.

I have been critical of the hype surrounding most Canuck prospects. Juolevi is a good prospect, but no more, who may or may not become a good NHL D-man. Virtanen still  has not shown himself to be more than a good NHL 4th liner. Leipsic and Motte are no more than lottery tickets, and Lind and Gadjovich are no better than 50-50 to become good NHL players. But, based on his performance, Pettersson is the real deal. And Gaudette, while not at the elite level that Pettersson is, looks like a good bet to be a solid middle-6 center (based on the numbers and on the eye test.)

And of course Pettersson just made the Swedish team for the World Championships in his draft+1 year. (Juolevi, in his draft+2 year, was cut from the Finnish team. It was always going to be tough for him to make the team, but it is disappointing.)

Edited by JamesB

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sums it up pretty well:

EDIT: And of course, the all time league records for U20 scoring, both regular season and playoffs. ;) 

pretty sure he didn't win league MVP. 

40 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I have EP at #2 in the redraft. But of course we are all subject to a certain "homer bias". It will be interesting to see where he is when some of the "redrafts" from credible sources are posted. But it looks to me like #2 is right. Hischier had a very good season -- and in the NHL -- but I could see Pettersson passing him. He has a shot at being the best player in the draft.

Some people, like Rob Vollmann  

go to a lot of effort to calculate league translation factors based on how players do when the transition from some other league to the NHL. In fact, there are have many players who move on from the SHL to the NHL and some have done alright (Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Sedins). Pettersson has actually OUTPERFORMED all those players. It is hard to project his likely NHL performance because there are no comparable players. He has outperformed everyone who has played in the same leagues.

The SHL translation factor for the SHL is 0.58. That means that, on average, players who have recently transitioned from the SHL score a rate in the NHL in the next year (based on points per game) of 58% of their scoring rate in the SHL. There is a lot of variance, and Pettersson might do worse than average. But his statistical unbiased expected value is 0.78 PPG. That is an excellent 2nd line level and legitimate even for a first liner. It translates to 64 pts over 82 games, Hischier had 52 pts in 82 games this year. With normal improvement he would probably go the low 60s next year, so the two of them might be comparable.

Possibly Pettersson's slight build makes the Canucks more cautious and they might want him in Utica next year. But, based on expected NHL performance, he deserves a very long look at the NHL level.

I have been critical of the hype surrounding most Canuck prospects. Juolevi is a good prospect, but no more, who may or may not become a good NHL D-man. Virtanen still  has not shown himself to be more than a good NHL 4th liner. Leipsic and Motte are no more than lottery tickets, and Lind and Gadjovich are no better than 50-50 to become good NHL players. But, based on his performance, Pettersson is the real deal. And Gaudette, while at the elite level that Pettersson is, looks like a good bet to be a solid middle-6 center (based on the numbers and on the eye test.)

And of course Pettersson just made the Swedish team for the World Championships in his draft+1 year. (Juolevi, in his draft+2 year, was cut from the Finnish team. It was always going to be tough for him to make the team, but it is disappointing.)

Hischier also played through an injury for a lot of the year as well:

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2018/04/27/new-jersey-devils-nico-hischier-season-feels-even-more-impressive-now/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So by that logic, the Hart is the lesser mvp between it and the Ted Lindsey?

29 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Elias won the equivalent of the Hart trophy, which would be the more prestigious MVP

except in the shl, the one voted by the players is more prestigious. 

14 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, he can juggle while riding a unicycle. This explains how he can see so many options when he has the puck, and why goaltenders are left in tears after EP has deked them out of their jockstraps. Frankly, I don't care if he never gains another pound; he has an elite processor that will keep him two or three moves ahead of most other players he will encounter

What's funny is I can see a whole bunch of young players around the globe all wanting to learn this new method of training after seeing the benefits to Pettersson's game lol 

Unicycles flying off the shelf!

• Upvote 3