The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, Darius71 said:

I think they play friday.. check TSN listings ., t11am vs Belarus.. tsn1,3 4.. I don’t think it’s a recording...

Bo and bagels at 8 and then Elias and ez mac at 11 !

Go Canuck players !

1 minute ago, falcons said:

Bo and bagels at 8 and then Elias and ez mac at 11 !

Go Canuck players !

this is as exciting as it gets for us during playoff time i suppose!

42 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Playing with Ekman-Larson, Klingberg, Zibanejad is much different than the unit he is currently on...  

Pettersson might actually get to shoot on the 2nd unit.

16 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Only an 80 pound weight difference Lol

By the way cut Pettersson's weight in half and he's 83.5 pounds lol.  So Pettersson is essentially 2/3's the mass Elias is. Wow to get that velocity off.  Kids got game.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

By the way cut Pettersson's weight in half and he's 83.5 pounds lol.  So Pettersson is essentially 2/3's the mass Elias is. Wow to get that velocity off.  Kids got game.

Yikes, you mean Mika right :P

Edited by Odd.

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

By my calculations, 227 - 167 = 60 pounds difference. And assuming he still weighs 167 lbs, he is more like 3/4 of Zibanejad's weight. But yes, that is excellent velocity for a kid who weighs the same as I do.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I know it was a mistake, but man, way to perpetuate the Elias-is-too-small thing :P 

Rush17's calculator: 227 - 167 = 60

Also Rush17, ignoring his calculator: 80 POUNDS, EEEEEK

CDC, tomorrow, probably: Benning sucks! EP sucks! Math suckssss!!!!

All in good fun :) It's damn impressive that he can leverage that sort of velocity. Just another thing to be amazed at that will make summer last far too long!

Just now, Guile said:

I know it was a mistake, but man, way to perpetuate the Elias-is-too-small thing :P 

Rush17's calculator: 227 - 167 = 60

Also Rush17, ignoring his calculator: 80 POUNDS, EEEEEK

CDC, tomorrow, probably: Benning sucks! EP sucks! Math suckssss!!!!

All in good fun :) It's damn impressive that he can leverage that sort of velocity. Just another thing to be amazed at that will make summer last far too long!

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

By my calculations, 227 - 167 = 60 pounds difference. And assuming he still weighs 167 lbs, he is more like 3/4 of Zibanejad's weight. But yes, that is excellent velocity for a kid who weighs the same as I do.

What is the explanation for the small difference in velocity, yet have such a huge difference in weight classes?

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What is the explanation for the small difference in velocity, yet have such a huge difference in weight classes?

I think Elias' probably uses a more flexible stick, i.e. he doesn't need as much weight to get the stick to flex the same as Mika's. With stick technologies nowadays I think it is less about weight, but more about stick length and technique. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Just now, tybarber said:

I think Elias' probably uses a more flexible stick, i.e. he doesn't need as much weight to get the stick to flex the same as Mika's. With stick technologies nowadays I think it is less about weight, but more about stick length and technique. 

In addition to what Ty said, I would offer that it's mostly physics. Similar to how some golfers can just crush the ball, it all depends on leverage, angles, stick flex, and mechanics. Swinging your arms faster is good, rotating your hips faster is good, and releasing your wrists is good. EP seems to be very proficient at timing those processes in conjunction with each other to produce the maximum velocity just before and during contact with the puck.

A golf pro I took lessons from once called it a two-lever system. It's the well-timed snap of your wrists accelerating the club through the hitting zone that gives pros an extra 30-50 yards on their drives. 

• Upvote 2