The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

46 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm pretty sure Gradin has a heavy role in every Swede we draft and has since he was hired in the mid 90s and especially since he was promoted to the Head of European Scouting in 1998.

Do we have ?Sami Paulson working for us now too?  I heard Petey say, he and Sami are from the same very small town back home.  

3 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Interesting article.  Fascinating how everyone was trying not to set expectations too high.  Worrying about his defensive play.  And even considering drafting him further down than 5th!  It turns out that he would have been a bargain at 1st.  

They saw him dozens of times in his draft year, amazing.  And were perfectly aware that he'd been a late bloomer, only breaking 6 feet in height very late.  His parents don't look huge either.  Well, even at 5 foot 9 he would have been worth drafting somewhere in the first few rounds. 

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

This is the best video to describe why I’m still watching this team.

They bring it every night.

Wow! Your post must of hit a funny bone,because at the start of the year I was planning extra nights with the family and saying to myself I can just watch the 7 min game recaps! But your right this team has been a TEAM! And its starting to resemble a team that could have a run that catches the play-offs or could be derailed by injuries! That's what happens when you get two really good players in back to back years. And add BO ane wow. I concur with your statement about the video from that perspective!

• Upvote 2

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-canucks-mvp-talk

With Ep's defensive awareness and his goal scoring prowess could he be in the MVP talk. a couple excerpts from the article!

“Here’s my bold prediction for 2019,” Elliotte Friedman said on the HNIC panel. “Vancouver, I don’t know who on December 29th thought we’d be talking about them being in a playoff position… but if they get in, not only is Pettersson going to win the Calder, but he’s going to be getting MVP votes.”

Nick Kypreos agreed.

“A hundred percent,” said Kypreos. “And I don’t think it’s a bold prediction either.”

After his hot start, everyone knew the rest of the league would begin to get wise to his tricks, making things more difficult. But perhaps he’s figuring out the rest of the league a bit too.

Pettersson now has a healthy Brock Boeser to play with, which makes the Canucks’ attack much more lethal.

Pettersson has scored 1.3 points per game in December, which is better than last year’s Hart Trophy winner Hall, who scored 1.22 points per game.

Pettersson has 39 points (19-20-39) in 35 games, and isn’t showing any signs of slowing down. He leads the Canucks in goals, assists, and points, and is a lock to represent his team at the All-Star Game next month.

My two cents. Hard to ignore how good elias has been. In fact if you take out the 12 game stretch that injuries (not just one) derailed the Canucks Elias is closer to 1.5 pts than the 1.4 he has averaged in Dec! The one part of the article said "After his hot start, everyone knew the rest of the league would begin to get wise to his tricks, making things more difficult. But perhaps he’s figuring out the rest of the league a bit too." And the hard thing to imagine he could easily have 10 more points. Just watch the video above. And that's not including any cross bars or post's he has hit.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/15/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-5-elias-pettersson/ another older article

Pettersson’s performance was largely unprecedented for an 18-year old in the Allsvenskan, and so he has no statistical matches, successful or otherwise. In 2015-16, his point rate at the professional level granted him an expected success rate of 43%, highly impressive in a draft-minus-one season.

Of all the players on our Top 100 list, only Pettersson and AJHL standout Cale Makar had zero players meet the similarity threshold – historical data doesn’t do us much good because they are making history themselves.

One thing that seems readily apparent is that Pettersson has a fantastic effect on his linemates. His GF% WOWY chart, shown below, is just about as ideal as one could imagine: every single player he played with had significantly better on-ice results with him than away from him – including Dahlen.

One potential reason that Pettersson isn’t ranked higher by many mainstream services is his international play this season. With a November birthday, he was too old to participate in the World Under-18’s by the time they rolled around. While he made Sweden’s Under-20 squad and played in the World Junior Championship, he certainly wasn’t dominant, picking up a single assist in six games. However, during the Four Nations tournament in Gothenburg in November, also against U20 competition, he put up seven points in just three games. Unfortunately, the Four Nations tournaments get significantly less play than the WJC, so the latter performance is the one that is typically talked about.

My two cents again! It appears much of the Swedish hype is transferring to the NHL. One stat( and I hope to find its source this week) had his points translating to the NHL at well over 2 ppg but also said considering that isn't possible Elias should be a solid 1 ppg player. As in the article above it also mentioned it was hard to find comparable,simply because Elias is on new ground. I ask you this if McDavid and Elias were lets say with in .2 ppg who would you take? Considering Elias doesn't cheat to get points. (imagine if he did?) The fact that he is able to play the 200 ft game so well at such a small stature, makes you wonder where his ceiling could be. And when his skating catches up to his growth spurt. I am sticking to my earliest of predictions Elias should be the players others chase in the NHL scoring race in the not so near future!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Mackcanuck said:

AAAARRRGGHH!!! OMG!!!!!! Petey's hands should not be anywhere near that saw!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

DvmnjbSVYAARZ9h.jpg:shock:

Wonder where the safety googles are? Multi million dollar players and no safety glasses. :sadno:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm pretty sure Gradin has a heavy role in every Swede we draft and has since he was hired in the mid 90s and especially since he was promoted to the Head of European Scouting in 1998.

It was delorme who advocated for this pick first surprisingly. Also, inge hammarstrom deserves alot of credit since he is the area scout who pretty much first found petey. Love gradin, but he sometimes gets way too much credit for any player drafted out of sweden. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isam said:

It was delorme who advocated for this pick first surprisingly. Also, inge hammarstrom deserves alot of credit since he is the area scout who pretty much first found petey. Love gradin, but he sometimes gets way too much credit for any player drafted out of sweden. 

Trevor was saying Ron and Judd were pushing for EP

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but how many rookies have ever won the Hart?

It's probably not getting too far ahead of yourself if we rephrase the question to how many rookies have gotten Hart consideration/votes.

Whether he wins it or not, I think Friedman is correct in thinking that some consideration will be sent Petey's way if he keeps up what he's been doing.

Now if he does what he's done at other levels and improves as the season goes along - now we might start getting ahead of ourselves!

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/gPm5j5?refpartner=link_copy_app_share

I dont think this is behind a paywall, tell me if it is and Ill translate it in here, Should work well with Google translate.. 

Biggest Swedish NHL correspondant thinking Canucks can Finally get into the playoffs again, much because of the 20-year-old phenom from Ånge. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but how many rookies have ever won the Hart?

None.  The only one who came close was Gretzky who won the Hart Trophy his first year in the NHL.  However, technically he was not a rookie as he had played in the WHA the year prior before the WHA/NHL merger.  So he never ended up winning the Calder Trophy that year.  He didn't win the Art Ross either as he tied Marcel Dionne for most points but Dionne got the nod with more goals.  If he had gotten one more point that year and never played in the WHA he would have won the Art Ross, Calder and Hart Trophies all in his first year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Trevor was saying Ron and Judd were pushing for EP

Yup, the narrative as I recall it is that Brackett pegged EP a full year before and pushed for him the entire year.  Also, I think that the staff had split into Glass/EP factions which wasn't resolved until closer to the draft.