The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, the narrative as I recall it is that Brackett pegged EP a full year before and pushed for him the entire year.  Also, I think that the staff had split into Glass/EP factions which wasn't resolved until closer to the draft.

I thought Delorme was the first one to push for EP. 

• Upvote 1

Well I was pushing for Elias! 

12 hours ago, nzan said:

It's probably not getting too far ahead of yourself if we rephrase the question to how many rookies have gotten Hart consideration/votes.

Whether he wins it or not, I think Friedman is correct in thinking that some consideration will be sent Petey's way if he keeps up what he's been doing.

Now if he does what he's done at other levels and improves as the season goes along - now we might start getting ahead of ourselves!

He traditionally gets way stronger as he gets into a season. I have noticed that he seldom makes the same mistake twice. And when he fails he really works on the why!  Maybe that's what it takes to be Generational!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was a Jets fan in Vancouver when Selanne came over. 76 goals as a rookie. I became a Canuck convert when Teemu was traded & have never looked back.

We were in delirium!

Even more than the Bure rookie year. Which I saw first hand, and enjoyed regardless of having grown up in Winnipeg.

It is mind blowing we are watching an arrival just as important as either?

Could in fact be better!  :towel:

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Love Pettersson but can't give Pettersson the Hart. When you look at what some of the things other players around the league are doing and Pettersson is ranked in the forties in terms of scoring, what Petey is doing is incredible but you can't take away from the likes of Kucherov, MacKinnen, or even McDavid. Let's just enjoy the ride the awesomeness of the first Canuck to win the Calder since Bure.

Edited by smokes
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, smokes said:

Love Pettersson but can't give Pettersson the Hart. When you look at what some of the things other players around the league are doing and Pettersson is ranked in the forties in terms of scoring, what Petey is doing is incredible but you can't take away from the likes of Kucherov, MacKinnen, or even McDavid. Let's just enjoy the ride the awesomeness of the first Canuck to win the Calder since Bure.

To be fair, the Hart is awarded to the player most valuable to his team and you can make an argument that Pettersson is pretty valuable to the Canucks, perhaps moreso than players who are better than him.

Still, I don't think he could get any more than a few 5th place votes or something. He's not carrying this team that much (at least not compared to others like McDavid).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, the Hart is awarded to the player most valuable to his team and you can make an argument that Pettersson is pretty valuable to the Canucks, perhaps moreso than players who are better than him.

Still, I don't think he could get any more than a few 5th place votes or something. He's not carrying this team that much (at least not compared to others like McDavid).

Not yet. As good as Pettersson is, you could argue that while Horvat is not scoring as much, he is as critical to the Canucks as Petey is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

no sweat if he doesn't win the hart.  I don't expect him to win the Hart this year especially where he is in the scoring leaders.  It's usually a top 15 guy that wins it, or a insanely good goalie or dman.

7 hours ago, smokes said:

Friedman and Kypreos were talking that he would ''get votes.'' ''And deservedly so.''

Not that he was a lead candidate, or going to win.

I thought it was fair.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I've been watching hockey for 17-18 years now. Not all that long, but long enough that I've seen quite a few great players over the years. With that said, I firmly believe Pettersson is the greatest player I've ever seen in a Canuck uniform.

I mean, Bure really is the only argument. Having watched all through that era, I'll wait a couple more years to make that call. Bure was pretty insane.

The crazy part about Pettersson is his IQ gives him so much more room to develop. It's still a long shot, but we could be dealing with one of those players that's talked about with all the greats.

Edited by Deets
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I've been watching hockey for 17-18 years now. Not all that long, but long enough that I've seen quite a few great players over the years. With that said, I firmly believe Pettersson is the greatest player I've ever seen in a Canuck uniform.

I’ve been watching since the mid eighties and have seen the likes of Smyl, Linden, Ronning, Bure, Mogilny, Nazzy, Bert, the Twins, Kes, Bo and Brock. I thought Pavel was the greatest Canuck ever. After 37 games of watching EP40. There is no doubt in my mind he is the greater Canuck I’ve ever seen. 

Bure was one of the most electrifying players EVER... in the history of the league. 

But EP40's hockey IQ is out of this world and he's a "alien magician"!

Kent Nilsson was called "The Magic Man" and if memory serves me correct, 

Gretzky said that Nilsson was the most talented hockey player in the league or 

something to that affect.

Petey broke Kent's U20 SHL scoring record. 

Gretzky said there are similarities between him and Elias. 

We are in for a treat!