The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

no doubt about it: Elias Pettersson is playing a sensational rookie season. Though there is one aspect in his game which needs to be improved. That's his play at the dot. In the game against the sharks he was 1 for 6 at the dot. I think he has to take some sessions with Manny Malhotra in order to improve his percentage at draws.

Face-off won / face off lost

at sharks:            1                    6

at kings  :            3                    6

at ducks:             1                    2

24 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

no doubt about it: Elias Pettersson is playing a sensational rookie season. Though there is one aspect in his game which needs to be improved. That's his play at the dot. In the game against the sharks he was 1 for 6 at the dot. I think he has to take some sessions with Manny Malhotra in order to improve his percentage at draws.

Doesn't matter, If the game was on the line I want Bo taking the draw with Petey on the wing anyways.

Edited by smokes
  • Upvote 1

I was surprised during the TV story on EP40 that Elias said Eriksson had had him over to his place a couple of times for dinner and R&R but that the Twins had not reached out to him. The only comment I have heard about the Twins this season is that they had gone down to the arena and worked out with the team off and on. No TV interviews. I suspect they do not want any controversy about any of their input.  

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was surprised during the TV story on EP40 that Elias said Eriksson had had him over to his place a couple of times for dinner and R&R but that the Twins had not reached out to him. The only comment I have heard about the Twins this season is that they had gone down to the arena and worked out with the team off and on. No TV interviews. I suspect they do not want any controversy about any of their input.  

I think thats it, they know what the horrible Vancouver media is like. 

They also see what we all see, a kid having an incredible year learning who he is as a player. Last nights game e.g., how he's developed as a defensive player is pretty special, all on top of all that creativity the other way. Petey's desire to be a complete player is quite special, they probably want to stay away and not cause any additional pressure for him. 

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Henrik Sedin was around 30% in his rookie season....this is certainly one aspect of the game that can be improved upon.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Elias Petterson's face off winning percentage for the year so far, in his first year in the NHL, is 40.6%.

That is pretty good for a first year 20 year old centre. Like everything else with Petey, it will continue to get better.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

On 2/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Faceoffs can take some time.  It helps to have extra strength.  I would he surprised if he didnt find a way to be awesome at faceoffs too.  The guy is unreal.  

On 2/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats it, they know what the horrible Vancouver media is like. 

They also see what we all see, a kid having an incredible year learning who he is as a player. Last nights game e.g., how he's developed as a defensive player is pretty special, all on top of all that creativity the other way. Petey's desire to be a complete player is quite special, they probably want to stay away and not cause any additional pressure for him. 

I think they also want to let the young guys have 'their time and their team now'. Its also about letting go of the reigns and saying to Bo, Petey, Boeser, this is your team now, not ours.....by keeping their distance, you don't step on toes and allow those young guys to assume the leadership roles. I suspect in a year or two they will be around more.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, 40Dangles said:

This is fair but you're forgetting wooden sticks with no "illegal" curves that weighed 80lbs more and had no flex. You also had guys clutching and grabbing, elbowing, hooking, you name it, like no tomorrow. It was a different era and yes crosby would have been amazing back then, but you give player back then, all the same training, tools etc, who's to say gretz wouldn't have got 300 pts? I watched both and to this day, no one has ever played the game the way Wayne did and likely never will. It had little to do with equipment friend. If you watch his highlights, how he saw the ice, I don't care what era you're in, there has been no one better.

I remember hearing from experts who says that the difference in skill level between the top players and the bottom players are quite negligible.  Most ECHL player can probably pull off any slick dangles you see in highlight reels... just usually there's something off in their game which creates tiers in players (compete level, being able to read the game at a high level, decision making, etc.)  

In the 80's, you still have defenseman who still have trouble skating backward proficiently, goalies who still played the stand-up style with minimal padding, etc.  How often do you see some skater just cross over the blue line and just rip a shot past the goalie during the 80's?  Quite frequently.  Fast forward to nowadays, if a goalie let in the same goal.... it'll be treated as a very bad goal, almost Cloutier-eques.  

Goalies back then still stayed on their skates during wrap-around... imagine a goaltender nowadays doing the same thing.  He wouldn't be in the NHL long... or professional hockey in general.  

The evolution of goaltending has evolved way more than skaters, thus it's entirely possible to say that players like McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin would be giving Gretzky and Mario serious competition for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard if they all played during the 80's.  

On 2/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, Boudrias said:

I think they've removed themselves from the team and recognize that they are not the mentor of Elias, but other guys like Eriksson can be. 

I think it's then trying to be respectful and not intruding. 

• Upvote 3

The sedins are not part of the team so its only natural they will not be ones to interfere or want to make an impact. Im sure they are curious about EP since he has had such great success  playing for the team they have spent so many years in. However they dont know him personally but are probably curious about him like everyone is, and i think they just dont want to take any influeantal part in the team since they are no longer playing. Sort of a let the team grow on their own with mentors/teammates thats on the team and not say or do something that would risk a negative impact "from the outside" so to say. Afterall, its a team thats on the start of rebuilding the core and the star players of the team. They need to find their own way.  

15 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I remember hearing from experts who says that the difference in skill level between the top players and the bottom players are quite negligible.  Most ECHL player can probably pull off any slick dangles you see in highlight reels... just usually there's something off in their game which creates tiers in players (compete level, being able to read the game at a high level, decision making, etc.)  

In the 80's, you still have defenseman who still have trouble skating backward proficiently, goalies who still played the stand-up style with minimal padding, etc.  How often do you see some skater just cross over the blue line and just rip a shot past the goalie during the 80's?  Quite frequently.  Fast forward to nowadays, if a goalie let in the same goal.... it'll be treated as a very bad goal, almost Cloutier-eques.  

Goalies back then still stayed on their skates during wrap-around... imagine a goaltender nowadays doing the same thing.  He wouldn't be in the NHL long... or professional hockey in general.  

The evolution of goaltending has evolved way more than skaters, thus it's entirely possible to say that players like McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin would be giving Gretzky and Mario serious competition for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard if they all played during the 80's.  

But why did no other player come close to gretzky in that era. 4 times over 200 points. Yzerman was a great player and i think his max was 160 one year. How come no one comes close to Ovechkins goal scoring in this era...some players have something that others don't!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Tre Mac said:

You mean he's got North American heart with European skill lol?  I remember Benning being raked over the coals for that comment and then he goes out and drafts EP40 like a effin boss.

How about EP40 has the heart of Forsberg, and the skill of Sakic?  Seriously, how good is the kid going to get?  He's friggin' amazing already!  

• Like 1