-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/RW

Just now, -AJ- said:

I think at this point, the race is still firmly in EP's hands, but if Dahlin keeps improving it could get close.

Agree with you. At this point it would be EP. As the season gets closer to the end I believe the race will as well. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Tons of people compare EP to Gretkzy because of his playstyle. Very, very few people compare them on a level of dominance. Gretzky tied for the league lead in points in his rookie season and broke the points record in his sophomore year. Gretzky wasn't just the best player in the NHL during his heyday, he was by a country mile the best player in the NHL. Stylistically, they are eerily similar, but Gretzky is still in another world compared to EP when it comes to dominance of the game.

Gretzky was great, but did the Oilers win another Cup after he left?  Did Gretzky win a Cup after his time with the Oilers?  I hate Messier.  However, I believe Messier was more important to the Oilers winning Cups than Gretzky.  

Pettersson has Gretzky-like offensive skills.  He has a compete to win (including playing hard defensively) like Messier.  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gretzky was great, but did the Oilers win another Cup after he left?  Did Gretzky win a Cup after his time with the Oilers?  I hate Messier.  However, I believe Messier was more important to the Oilers winning Cups than Gretzky.  

Pettersson has Gretzky-like offensive skills.  He has a compete to win (including playing hard defensively) like Messier.  

Maybe when Petey leads the league in points say by a good 20 points or more this could be a thread... until then, not even close.

• Like 1

Why are people discussing the calder like Petey wont win it? If the canucks make the playoffs he might win the hart

1 minute ago, hatedkid666 said:

Why are people discussing the calder like Petey wont win it? If the canucks make the playoffs he might win the hart

Lmao! Easy now...

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Lmao! Easy now...

He has been in the conversation. He will most certainly get Hart votes

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think at this point, the race is still firmly in EP's hands, but if Dahlin keeps improving it could get close.

I think Heiskanen might end up giving a run for 2nd with Dahlin.

11 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

He has been in the conversation. He will most certainly get Hart votes

Yeah, he may... Eric Staal had a 5th place vote a couple years ago and he finished tied for 17'th. Is that what you mean?

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Yeah, he may... Eric Staal had a 5th place vote a couple years ago and he finished tied for 17'th. Is that what you mean?

No he is going to get more then that. ESPN has him in their top 3 not long ago. If we make the playoffs he will be a finalist

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You should not mention Messier and EP in the same sentence. It gives me pimples.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

No he is going to get more then that. ESPN has him in their top 3 not long ago. If we make the playoffs he will be a finalist

No way he makes top 5 but he could make top10.

45 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

No way he makes top 5 but he could make top10.

Do you want to make a wager

12 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Do you want to make a wager

Sounds good, 100 bucks he doesn't make top 3!

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry Alf

AJ is right !

Gretzky brought out the best in all the Oilers, The unmentionable one was not much of a player till he played with Gretzky

He would outpoint the leagues 2nd best player by close to 50% of their point total

It maybe is unfair to compare generations to each other because players evolve, but when you are head and shoulders above the next best player of your generation that speaks of dominance

Why is it you ALWAYS have to put down hockey players in your comparisons, can you not just root for the home team and appreciate the talents of other players?

or are you drunk again?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think you’re being bold at all.  People keep comparing Pettersson to Gretzky.  I agree they are very similar offensively.  However, defensively Pettersson is a far better player than Gretzky.  

Pettersson is like no other player we’ve seen before.  He combines elite offensive skills, with a hyper competitive defensive mentality.  

He might become the best player of this generation, and quickly too.  

And we have Quinn Hughes coming too!  He’s the best D man to come along since Doughty.  

Oh God!!  :picard:

14 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Sorry Alf

AJ is right !

Gretzky brought out the best in all the Oilers, The unmentionable one was not much of a player till he played with Gretzky

He would outpoint the leagues 2nd best player by close to 50% of their point total

It maybe is unfair to compare generations to each other because players evolve, but when you are head and shoulders above the next best player of your generation that speaks of dominance

Why is it you ALWAYS have to put down hockey players in your comparisons, can you not just root for the home team and appreciate the talents of other players?

or are you drunk again?

There is a small group of Canuck posters here that always seem to have to put down other teams prospects / players to make them feel better. Pretty sad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EP has the Calder locked up unless he suffers a season ending injury or dries up completely, which at this point is highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I think Heiskanen might end up giving a run for 2nd with Dahlin.

and carter hart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tons of people compare EP to Gretkzy because of his playstyle. Very, very few people compare them on a level of dominance. Gretzky tied for the league lead in points in his rookie season and broke the points record in his sophomore year. Gretzky wasn't just the best player in the NHL during his heyday, he was by a country mile the best player in the NHL. Stylistically, they are eerily similar, but Gretzky is still in another world compared to EP when it comes to dominance of the game.

You have a good point. EP may come in a hair shy of Gretzky's dominance. I dont think it's unfair to say that given his unique skillset, which includes his mind being one of his greatest strengths, that EP may be the most dominant forward we've seen SINCE Gretzky, in his prime. ***bold prediction***

Edited by Yung1
Added a comma