The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Petey always had the offensive instincts and his defensive play has never been that bad, but what's impressed me a lot especially in the last few games is that he's laying the body on guys and knocking them down.  I'm starting to think that as he bulks up he's Forsberg material.  I was really doubting this after his early injury, but somehow he's managing to put on a bit of muscle on that very lean frame during an NHL season.

It's a testament to this kids ability and drive that we're just expecting that his great wheels and edge control will mean he'll be back in the d zone before any of the other forwards.  He's got desire, talent and mad skills.  This is going to be a fun decade.

I have totally been noticing this too. He takes the body a bunch and has thrown some good hits. He also battles hard along the boards. Yes he still falls down a bit but I did not expect to see such a change in the physicality department.

I can't wait to see how he looks in a couple years closer to 195.

• Upvote 1

Well as good as petey is, both he and his line was taken down efficiently by yotes defense. I hope they learned from playing this kinds of system that the yotes use and take control next time they meet. Nucks is a better team then the yotes and should normally have a slight edge over them. 

Concerning the constant talk over his bodyweight, i would say they are mos likely gonna give him a pretty thorough training program to gain muscle so that will come pretty easy. Its a question of how he will be able to use that on the ice as well as how his experience from his first year will make him react and "think" hockey. It will take time and hard work, but for now theres no stopping him. He will simply keeps evolving. tip of the iceberg........

Well maybe 170 points are never touched again. But what I am seeing with Elias. has me believing with some experience in this league and a better  QB powerplay defenseman he is just touching what he will be. If any player in the league is going to put up stupid points it will be Elias. And I want it to be heard and laughed at, because I am that right! Many forget he is a rookie. He is very young. And also very small. He will bulk up. He will get faster. And he is not far off right now for PPG. He is the type of player who will use his team to get points not just a winger. When the Canucks have been healthy Elias has almost been a 1.6 ppg player. What he has done on a injury riddled team is just shy of a miracle. I see 150 points in his near future. And I also see a lot of naysayers disappearing!

2 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Well as good as petey is, both he and his line was taken down efficiently by yotes defense. I hope they learned from playing this kinds of system that the yotes use and take control next time they meet. Nucks is a better team then the yotes and should normally have a slight edge over them. 

Concerning the constant talk over his bodyweight, i would say they are mos likely gonna give him a pretty thorough training program to gain muscle so that will come pretty easy. Its a question of how he will be able to use that on the ice as well as how his experience from his first year will make him react and "think" hockey. It will take time and hard work, but for now theres no stopping him. He will simply keeps evolving. tip of the iceberg........

The Canucks defens has been so bad at moving the puck Petey has had to go to his own goal line to get the puck. That's hurting his transition and speed. Will change in two weeks with Hughes!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, cory40 said:

The Canucks defens has been so bad at moving the puck Petey has had to go to his own goal line to get the puck. That's hurting his transition and speed. Will change in two weeks with Hughes!

god everyone is putting masive pressure on hughes. Its always more difficult for a Dman to take the step up to be a established NHL player. I have no idea how good hughes is on that level but i am positive his passing game will be good. What is needed is a D that can SHOOT. The only one that can do that is Edler at this point. He has a massive slapshot. Does hughes really have that? i have no idea but i know that is what is needed. Otherwise the Boxplay facing the PP can simply take more chances since the shot will not be concidered as high of a threat. I am really hoping to see some great things from hughes....but im not so sure about his shot. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

god everyone is putting masive pressure on hughes. Its always more difficult for a Dman to take the step up to be a established NHL player. I have no idea how good hughes is on that level but i am positive his passing game will be good. What is needed is a D that can SHOOT. The only one that can do that is Edler at this point. He has a massive slapshot. Does hughes really have that? i have no idea but i know that is what is needed. Otherwise the Boxplay facing the PP can simply take more chances since the shot will not be concidered as high of a threat. I am really hoping to see some great things from hughes....but im not so sure about his shot. 

Hughes will probably excel at transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone but he does not posses a very hard shot.

I think Hutton and Stetcher should work on their shooting in the off season as that would make both of their games more complete. Hutton has shown some improvement in getting his shot through traffic; now if he can find the means to put some mustard on it, that would be huge!

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Well maybe 170 points are never touched again. But what I am seeing with Elias. has me believing with some experience in this league and a better  QB powerplay defenseman he is just touching what he will be. If any player in the league is going to put up stupid points it will be Elias. And I want it to be heard and laughed at, because I am that right! Many forget he is a rookie. He is very young. And also very small. He will bulk up. He will get faster. And he is not far off right now for PPG. He is the type of player who will use his team to get points not just a winger. When the Canucks have been healthy Elias has almost been a 1.6 ppg player. What he has done on a injury riddled team is just shy of a miracle. I see 150 points in his near future. And I also see a lot of naysayers disappearing!

When the Canucks get a more productive 2nd line Petey will get better ops. As you said a better back line also ups his ppg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrwipeout said:

Yep. Some even slotting him in on the top D pairing and he hasn't played a game yet lol.

PS: how do you make a signature on a profile here?

Edited by Kanukfanatic

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

PS: how do you make a signature on a profile here?

Go to your username in the top right and click on "Account Settings". From there you should see "Signature" near the bottom of the list on the left sidebar.

• Cheers 1

watched the game against the isles. They always kept 1 marking player and always prioritized teaming up 2 against Petey. There has got to be openings for the other players on his line when they do that. Then again this injury epidemic is hurting the team badly. either players elevate their game or theres no chance of making the playoffs. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, RogersTowell said:

Petey always had the offensive instincts and his defensive play has never been that bad, but what's impressed me a lot especially in the last few games is that he's laying the body on guys and knocking them down.  I'm starting to think that as he bulks up he's Forsberg material.  I was really doubting this after his early injury, but somehow he's managing to put on a bit of muscle on that very lean frame during an NHL season.

It's a testament to this kids ability and drive that we're just expecting that his great wheels and edge control will mean he'll be back in the d zone before any of the other forwards.  He's got desire, talent and mad skills.  This is going to be a fun decade.

Well, look at the Sedins. They went from fawns on skates to NHL iron men. I think Pettersson will follow suit.

• Like 1

It's crazy how he already has a better shot arsenal than Boeser already. Like it's not even close.

If I'm Hughes, on the PP I'm shifting to the left, making the penalty killer up high follow, passing back to EP who now has open ice and a lane, and seeing the assists stack up.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Pettersson/Canucks rookie records update:

Needs 12 more assists to tie Dale Tallon, '71 (42).

Needs 4 more points to tie Ivan Hlinka, '82 & Pavel Bure, '92 (60).

Within shouting distance of the points record now. Could happen if he gets another one of his patented 5-point games.

On another note, unless he finishes strong, I don't think EP will win rookie of the month for February.

Dahlin - 12 games, 3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points

Pettersson - 12 games, 3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points

Johnsson - 12 games, 7 goals, 5 assists, 12 points

Right now I think Johnsson probably wins it, but fortunately, EP has two games left so if he has one or two strong games, he can still take it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Within shouting distance of the points record now. Could happen if he gets another one of his patented 5-point games.

On another note, unless he finishes strong, I don't think EP will win rookie of the month for February.

Right now I think Johnsson probably wins it, but fortunately, EP has two games left so if he has one or two strong games, he can still take it.

He does have the advantage of being in a great system that maximises potential. Just look how they have nurtured Justin Holl ! (.....and I'm sure Frank Corrado will be forever grateful. )

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Johnsson is gonna be 25 this year.

Petey is gonna be 21.

But your point still stands about rookie of the month.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Pettersson/Canucks rookie records update:

Needs 12 more assists to tie Dale Tallon, '71 (42).

Needs 4 more points to tie Ivan Hlinka, '82 & Pavel Bure, '92 (60).

Needs 8 goals in 18 games to tie Bure's single-season goal record (34). Correct?

Go EP: 9G13A in the next 18 games to finish with 35 goals 43 assists and 78 points. Break all of the Canucks scoring record.

• Like 1