The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Season is a wash, not going to be making the playoffs and will probably get a rpetty good Draft pick out of it.

Pettersson has been the Canucks best player (aside from Markstrom) all year, but lately he's dried up production, and players like Boeser and Horvat are chipping in here and there.

Will Pettersson still lead the team is goals (points) by the end of the season?

Pettersson - 26 goals (58 points)

Horvat - 24 goals (49 points)

Boeser - 22 goals (47 points)

Pettersson was on pace for 40+ goals this year. Will he make it to 30?

I know there are a lot of factors as to why EP40 is struggling point-wise but one thing that really pissed me off was how many times he was playing with Pouliot and how often his line would be hemmed in their zone because DP is not an NHLer and would turn the puck over at will.  One shift when they finally got out of their zone DP had an easy passing lane to Petey and he held on to it and you can see Petey look to the sky in sheer frustration afterwards.  Point being keep DP out of the lineup and if you have to play him don't play him with EP40's line. 

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Like 3

It's possible we may have seen Pouliot's last game as a Canuck (future D injuries aside). So excited to see Hughes feeding the puck to Pettersson instead.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Biega

Hughes - Schenn

Sautner

Still not great, but Tanev will return soon as well. I suspect Hughes will start his NHL career paired with Schenn in the 3rd pairing, just to get his feet wet. Once Tanev returns, I can see Hughes moving up to the 2nd pairing with him.

• Like 2

Isnt it obvious Tanev will play with hughes? Question is if Stecher and Edler should be together since Hutton and stecher did pretty good together earlier in the season. If this is what we got he should play with stecher on right untill tanev arrives. 

1 hour ago, Mrwipeout said:

Isnt it obvious Tanev will play with hughes? Question is if Stecher and Edler should be together since Hutton and stecher did pretty good together earlier in the season. If this is what we got he should play with stecher on right untill tanev arrives. 

do you know when tanev returns?

Edited by TNucks1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, J-P said:

Dahlin is an 18 year old D... While I agree that EP should win the Calder this year and is a more complete player right now Dahlin is still amazing and a potential franchise D. 

Btw, you wouldn’t like EK on our team if you can’t stomach a little risk taking on every shift ;)

EK is a seasoned veteran he is not going to change his game or lose confidence if he is burned. Dhalin has yet to prove that!

Elias has cooled off by his standards to start the season. But he hasn't cooled off to the point anyone chasing him catches him. He is still .5 to .6 ppg over the last bit. that being said when Dhalin was right there with Elias for assists. But Elias has actually moved ahead by 3 assists. Elias has dropped from 1.14 ppg to 1.00. And he seems to be looking a little more energized last couple games.. If anything having Quinn H coming will add to Elias's point totals. For the Calder race gap to close Elias would have to be held pointless and the other players would have to finish strong. For Elias to finish the season in a slump lets say at >.6 ppg he would maintain is current lead. Just on sheer highlights alone their is not a close second just on how many primary assists Elias has. Elias could probably win the Calder if he sat the rest of the season!

13 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I know there are a lot of factors as to why EP40 is struggling point-wise but one thing that really pissed me off was how many times he was playing with Pouliot and how often his line would be hemmed in their zone because DP is not an NHLer and would turn the puck over at will.  One shift when they finally got out of their zone DP had an easy passing lane to Petey and he held on to it and you can see Petey look to the sky in sheer frustration afterwards.  Point being keep DP out of the lineup and if you have to play him don't play him with EP40's line. 

I have noticed this also. I have also noticed Biega skating the puck up the ice when EP is wide open. I have also noticed Boeser hang on to the puck when EP is open. The young guns have quit passing. Hughes is coming at the right time!

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's possible we may have seen Pouliot's last game as a Canuck (future D injuries aside). So excited to see Hughes feeding the puck to Pettersson instead.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Biega

Hughes - Schenn

Sautner

Still not great, but Tanev will return soon as well. I suspect Hughes will start his NHL career paired with Schenn in the 3rd pairing, just to get his feet wet. Once Tanev returns, I can see Hughes moving up to the 2nd pairing with him.

Just as likely to see us sit Schenn IMO.

Regardless, I'm guessing we still need to wait a couple games before we see Hughes.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

I dont think so.  At least not right off the bat.  

Atm, Hutton needs to have Stecher.  Edler and Hughes are both lefties and an Edler Schenn pairing, I dont think it would work.  

So Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Hughes Schenn.  

Nobody should worry even the slightest about EP's "struggles".

Slumps are expected out of everyone, but especially rookies that aren't used to the rigors of an NHL season. Not to mention checking gets a lot tighter in the second half.

Doesn't help that he doesn't have much support around him.

Will be exciting to see how he looks next year after a full NHL summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Nobody should worry even the slightest about EP's "struggles".

Slumps are expected out of everyone, but especially rookies that aren't used to the rigors of an NHL season. Not to mention checking gets a lot tighter in the second half.

Doesn't help that he doesn't have much support around him.

Will be exciting to see how he looks next year after a full NHL summer.

Yeah, it'd be nice if he had Sutter around right now to help with match ups, hence freeing up Horvat and forcing opposition to have to key on two solid offensive lines instead of just Pettersson's...

:bigblush:

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, it'd be nice if he had Sutter around right now to help with match ups, hence freeing up Horvat and forcing opposition to have to key on two solid offensive lines instead of just Pettersson's...

:bigblush:

Hehe :P

By help I meant another legit winger and an NHL-calibre defense.

• Haha 1

I'm extremely worried that Petey's Rookie of the Year season is now in serious trouble. His shot isn't there and he's having problems with his passing.

I hope Q. Hughes will be able to save Petey's season. Just imagine it weren't for Matheson earlier this season, Petey would have 10 more goals and 15 more points.

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I'm extremely worried that Petey's Rookie of the Year season is now in serious trouble. His shot isn't there and he's having problems with his passing.

I hope Q. Hughes will be able to save Petey's season. Just imagine it weren't for Matheson earlier this season, Petey would have 10 more goals and 15 more points.

I was worried, but I recently looked at other rookies and Dahlin's not doing well recently either (0 points, -7 in last 5 games) and Dahlin is by far the closest competition for Petey. If nothing else EP will win by default because there are no Boeser/Barzal level rookies like him this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I know a lot of people will disagree... but I think Petey could do with a maintenance day.

Might give him a chance to recover from the various hits/etc. he's been taking.

And also might give him a little perspective and give him a chance to re-think his creativity and confidence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know a lot of people will disagree... but I think Petey could do with a maintenance day.

Might give him a chance to recover from the various hits/etc. he's been taking.

And also might give him a little perspective and give him a chance to re-think his creativity and confidence.

I was also thinking this. Especially with Guddy gone and Roussell out for the season. We have no toughness in our lineup now besides Beagle. Don’t want anymore cheap shots.

On a positive note, atleast he’s getting his sophomore slump out of the way :P

• Upvote 1