The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Pettersson/Canucks rookie records update:

Up to 64 points.

Needs 5 more assists to tie Dale Tallon, '71 (42).

I never thought he would get the assists record, and it's still quite unlikely that he does, but it is actually in reach now. Amazing to think that one of the oldest records in Canucks history could be broken this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey has unfortunately lost his timing and confidence... not sure he will break the Canuck rookie goal scoring mark.

Full NHL season is a grind and he is not the biggest and strongest guy out there.

I am sure he will work hard on building muscle and conditioning over the summer and come back stronger next year.

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Petey has unfortunately lost his timing and confidence... not sure he will break the Canuck rookie goal scoring mark.

Full NHL season is a grind and he is not the biggest and strongest guy out there.

I am sure he will work hard on building muscle and conditioning over the summer and come back stronger next year.

Your timing is very odd. Petey stopped scoring weeks ago. He's recently picked up the assists like crazy though, so this isn't particularly new news. He was in a slump where he had just 2 points in 7 games, but is out of it now with 8 points in his last 9 games.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Your timing is very odd. Petey stopped scoring weeks ago. He's recently picked up the assists like crazy though, so this isn't particularly new news. He was in a slump where he had just 2 points in 7 games, but is out of it now with 8 points in his last 9 games.

And my comment is about scoring.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Sure, but I don't think it's accurate that his confidence and timing is off. Maybe with regards to specifically his shot, but I think his recent production tells me that he's still plenty confident in all other areas of his game.

• Upvote 1

Peteys just tired. He will be stronger next year. He has a highlight reel season that might never be matched by any rookie ever. He has a lot of un believable plays. Wait until next year. He stepped into the year and here were the concerns.

(1) needs time in the AHL to adapt to the rink size.

(2) He is too small to be effective.

(3) He has never really played center at the pro level (4 games) 

(4) After being dominated in face-offs at the Penticton young stars (myself included) thought he might never win a face-off

(5) He is not tough enough.

Well here we are the season is winding down and Petey has succeeded at not only playing center but first line. He has been the one player that every team has focused on. (how many rookies in the last decade other than McDavid and maybe Matthews had that pressure!  No other rookie in this years race have had to pay against the other teams best players night in and night out! Center to boot!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I was also hoping he'd catch Bure's goal rookie record. Still a great season. I'm sure Petterssion would trade all of the rookie records for a chance at the playoffs.

I agree about Binnington, but they were saying his body of work isn't large enough to warrant a prestigious trophy like the Calder. He's only played 27 games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I hope he can hang on to the Calder...this Binnington in St Louis is starting to worry me.

Except his is a much smaller sample size and he's played less than half the number of games as the others...so wonder if that factors in at all?  Could/would he sustain that over time if he played every game?  I mean, Petey's petering out a bit and it's a long season....so it's easier to "shine" for a shorter duration overall.

Petey's demonstrated the ability to play a solid two way game and not just contribute offensively, but defensively, when need be.  He's got a hockey sense and instinct that goes beyond just "points scored" and some of the magic he's performed is hard to deny.  He's a little too selfless, but wants his TEAM to win above and beyond all else.

He deserves it in my books.  Can't deny how special he is...not just as a scorer/point getter, but as a very gifted all around player.  The buzz around the league that he's created is for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Except his is a much smaller sample size and he's played less than half the number of games as the others...so wonder if that factors in at all?  Could/would he sustain that over time if he played every game?  I mean, Petey's petering out a bit and it's a long season....so it's easier to "shine" for a shorter duration overall.

Petey's demonstrated the ability to play a solid two way game and not just contribute offensively, but defensively, when need be.  He's got a hockey sense and instinct that goes beyond just "points scored" and some of the magic he's performed is hard to deny.  He's a little too selfless, but wants his TEAM to win above and beyond all else.

He deserves it in my books.  Can't deny how special he is...not just as a scorer/point getter, but as a very gifted all around player.  The buzz around the league that he's created is for a reason.

I know..but Binnington wasn't called up til Jan 5 so he's been pretty amazing..but I hope your argument wins the day with voters...don't want him to win just concerened Petey gts screwed

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I know..but Binnington wasn't called up til Jan 5 so he's been pretty amazing..but I hope your argument wins the day with voters...don't want him to win just concerened Petey gts screwed

That's what I'm saying though....he's just had to play for a short period of time so that should factor in.

its not so strange. we have been spoilt with all kinds of magic so far and i think hes feeling the long season wearing. i dont think we will see much noise from him other then an occasional assist if the whole team plays great. next season is a whole different story. I think tonight everyone will keep their eyes as hughes makes his debut tonight anyway. 

Good news: Petey needs 4 more assists to tie Dale Tallon, '71 (42).

Bad news: Petey now has just ONE goal in his last 19 games. His lethal shot and timing are gone. Something is wrong with his wrist.

Maybe put a playmaker like Goldobin on his wing. Boeser and Pettersson don't need a grinder on their wing, they need someone who can get them the puck. Is it really a strange coincidence that both Goldy and Petey's production dried up as soon as they were separated?

Good news: Petey needs 4 more assists to tie Dale Tallon, '71 (42).

Bad news: Petey now has just ONE goal in his last 19 games. His lethal shot and timing are gone. Something is wrong with his wrist.

Practically all players go through slumps, especially in their rookie and sophomore seasons. He's still playing phenomenally and creating lots of chances.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Practically all players go through slumps, especially in their rookie and sophomore seasons. He's still playing phenomenally and creating lots of chances.

One goal in 19 games is one hell of a slump, considering his lethal shot for 3/4 of the season. Petey has to be playing through some sort of injury that's hampering his shooting. Might explain his reluctance to shot as well. This slump could easily turn into 1 in 23 games to end the season.