The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, komodo0921 said:

Many are worried about the sophomore jinx but, given the new weapons JB has added and a full season of Quinn Hughes, Petey has a lot more options for go to's. I don't see a drop off in his production but a dramatic improvement. 

I agree.  The left side was in rough shape last year - so now he gets two big and better wingers to find chemistry with. Add in better blueline contributions AND an extra season of added strength amd prep, and I also believe we will see an improvement.  If that improvement is "dramatic", as you say, then that bodes well for his linemates as well.

The difference this year is the type of power u get up front with Ferland and Miller, winning pucks and forcing turnovers, positioning in front of the net. That was lacking last year so it will be a big difference since u can also switch it up with more skilled type of players when matching the opositions lines. With that being the case u can still match a 2nd and 3rd line with some more skill creating some relief for peteys line also. If this is enough for success remains to be seen but is definetly a much needed change. Also the D seems a lot more solid then last year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Man. We are so fortunate to get to watch this kid play for the canucks. That reel was dis   gust    ing 

He made some incredible defensive plays. Wish they had shown a couple of those too.

Best play in this whole list was that dipsydoodle above the left hashmarks and then the pass to Bo. Unreal hockey sense.

Edited by xereau
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations EP on making THNs famed top 50 player in the NHL ranked at 44.   It’s being a while since the Sedins made the cut (last players to make the list) and it’s not very often a sophomore makes the list either.  Guys he beat MT, McAvoy, Price, Huberdeau, Couture and at 50 Barzal ....just ahead of him Giroux and Subban...pretty lofty company and he beat out the previous Calder winner which was nice to see too. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Seems like they're assuming 82 games for all these projections. 77 points in 82 games is almost exactly his pace last year. I'm expecting a slight increase.

66 points for Boeser in 82 games is again the same as last year's projected rate.

Horvat's 62 points would obviously be one point above last year's 61. Miller's 54 points would be a decent jump from last year and Ferland's projection is about right in line with his career history.

All in all, they're extremely "safe" projections. They seem to have basically simply taken last year's points-per-game and projected them out to 82 games for everyone except Miller. Bland.

For Miller they just took the average of his last 3 years production. Yeah, they are not exactly going out on a limb on any of these projections.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Seems like they're assuming 82 games for all these projections. 77 points in 82 games is almost exactly his pace last year. I'm expecting a slight increase.

66 points for Boeser in 82 games is again the same as last year's projected rate.

Horvat's 62 points would obviously be one point above last year's 61. Miller's 54 points would be a decent jump from last year and Ferland's projection is about right in line with his career history.

All in all, they're extremely "safe" projections. They seem to have basically simply taken last year's points-per-game and projected them out to 82 games for everyone except Miller. Bland.

Agreed.

It seems a very lazy and safe projection as you say.

If Petey and Boeser do not continue to get better and progress points wise it would be a very disappointing year imo. Additionally, Miller and Ferland should have the chance to have career years points wise as they both get to play with #1 centres.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

A healthy Boeser I think can hit 70+. But everything else seems pretty fine for the Canucks. 54 for Miller is interesting. Similar to his numbers in NY. That'd be a nice jump in prior top 6 production from guys we had there like Goldy and Leivo. They filled in decently but are not top 6 players.

• Upvote 2

I don’t discount the POSSIBILITY of a bit of a sophomore season challenge for EP, but I think the kid is special enough that I think he is more likely to be better...at least more consistent throughout entire season and power through to the end this time.

And those point projections don’t seem to be allowing for the Quinn-effect. I think Hughes will have some growing pains (defensively) but I don’t think there is any way he doesn’t juice the offensive numbers of the Canucks top offensive players. For instance, assuming that EP plays the whole season with Quinn, I don’t see how EP doesn’t flirt with getting to the 90 point range.

Not sure I’ve been excited for a season in a long time. Since last year at least. ;)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1