The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

You're right. DAL would have taken Heiskanen 1st overall. He is definitely looking great so far as well. 

So if Heiskanen is an elite prospect and OJ is putting up a similar performance while being a year older, what kind of prospect is OJ. Fair to say he is looking more like a top pairing defender as he gets his feet wet in his first pro season. 

11 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I think they’re just better than Jake. 

I'm not denying that.  I'm pointing out we are (or should be) focusing on the building for the future - the next core so to speak.  The three guys playing ahead of Jake (I'd suggest the Twins too) are not going to be here soon enough.  What's the point?

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So if Heiskanen is an elite prospect and OJ is putting up a similar performance while being a year older, what kind of prospect is OJ. Fair to say he is looking more like a top pairing defender as he gets his feet wet in his first pro season. 

Heskainen's looking like he'll put up historic numbers for a person of his age in that Finnish league. Juolevi is putting up numbers that would have him be the top young defenseman in almost any other year, but he is a year older. 

At this point, I'd say Heskainen is ahead of Juolevi by a considerable amount, but not it's not a huge gap. 

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heskainen's looking like he'll put up historic numbers for a person of his age in that Finnish league. Juolevi is putting up numbers that would have him be the top young defenseman in almost any other year, but he is a year older. 

At this point, I'd say Heskainen is ahead of Juolevi by a considerable amount, but not it's not a huge gap. 

Isn't Heskainen rather smallish though for the heavier NHL game?  I think he's like that guy we had last season, who came over from the KHL, and now is back there.  What's his name?  Kind of useless here.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I take the runner up in generational finish d men from the last two drafts.  That’s what I was getting at. Heskainen looks great, blow the doors off the finish league, one step behind and one year older, OJ is doing the same. 

It’s nice company to hang in, and it helps put to rest some worry  that OJ wasn’t developing.  

EmW

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Heskainen rather smallish though for the heavier NHL game?  I think he's like that guy we had last season, who came over from the KHL, and now is back there.  What's his name?  Kind of useless here.

He's around 6'0-6'1 and about 175lbs. Pretty similar to Juolevi in terms of size. If we're optimistic about Pettersson putting on enough mass to play in the NHL, then there's no reason to think that Heskainen won't. Comparing him to Larsen is pretty ignorant and an uninformed statement I'd say. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

*Offensively

Heskainen has actually been playing top minutes for his team. The number that I saw a couple weeks ago was about 23 minutes TOI per game for him. He might actually be ahead of Juolevi in terms of Olympic consideration too:

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I take the runner up in generational finish d men from the last two drafts.  That’s what I was getting at. Heskainen looks great, blow the doors off the finish league, one step behind and one year older, OJ is doing the same. 

It’s nice company to hang in, and it helps put to rest some worry  that OJ wasn’t developing.  

EmW

I'm very happy with Juolevi's production and play this year. I'm glad he's stepping up in a professional men's league. 

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heskainen has actually been playing top minutes for his team.

As is Juolevi IIRC. Either way, not sure what that had to do with my point.

Different players play different roles. Similar minutes or otherwise.

But Heiskanen is certainly playing well.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm not denying that.  I'm pointing out we are (or should be) focusing on the building for the future - the next core so to speak.  The three guys playing ahead of Jake (I'd suggest the Twins too) are not going to be here soon enough.  What's the point?

How is playing all the kids working out for Arizona? That's what you want?

Do you see all of their young talent developing at an acceptable rate utilizing that strategy? Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, and Fischer all developing the way you would expect?

Development of young players is not just throwing them out on the ice to play. They need to demonstrate their commitment to getting better in practice, better in the gym and better in the film room understanding the coaches expectations. Development can, and does, sometimes include sitting out and observing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He's around 6'0-6'1 and about 175lbs. Pretty similar to Juolevi in terms of size. If we're optimistic about Pettersson putting on enough mass to play in the NHL, then there's no reason to think that Heskainen won't. Comparing him to Larsen is pretty ignorant and an uninformed statement I'd say. 

Heskainen has actually been playing top minutes for his team. The number that I saw a couple weeks ago was about 23 minutes TOI per game for him. He might actually be ahead of Juolevi in terms of Olympic consideration too:

I'm very happy with Juolevi's production and play this year. I'm glad he's stepping up in a professional men's league. 

Guy plays Defense, not forward.  And Juiolevi is a 200 pounder.  I'd be totally shocked if Hiskanen becomes anything over here.  (unless he becomes a Canuck, of course.)

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guy plays Defense, not forward.  And Juiolevi is a 200 pounder.  I'd be totally shocked if Hiskanen becomes anything over here.  (unless he becomes a Canuck, of course.)

Alf, if you look at Juolevi's team site, they have him listed as 6'2 @ 182 lbs.  I don't know if he ever got up to 200lbs, but he sure isn't now.  Lots of 19yr old prospects are in that range, but fill out over 2-3 years.

I do believe that JB was going to pick Heiskanen if the Canucks had won the lotto last draft.  He was very interested in 'one of the dmen' and I don't think it was Maker.

Dallas believe they have a "franchise player" in him as he has all the important skills of the modern dman.  The large crash and band dmen are on the way out and are being replaces with speedy, highly skilled and smart players.

Dallas' view of Heiskanen  https://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/7/11/15941606/is-miro-heiskanen-close-to-being-nhl-ready

Joulevi's game is looking very good so far and it looks like he will be as projected; a 2dman.  He plays in a better league than Heiskanen, but is also a year older.  Imo, Heiskanen will be a #1d on a contending team.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EmW

Id currently have Ristoleinan as the front runner for generational Finnish D-man. I would be extremely happy if Juo, can emulate anything near that level of play obviously. It's still early to tell. Right now both of Miro and Olli look like their on the right path. 

25 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Am I in the wrong place? Thought this was an Elias Pettersson thread

...people being people....just a good thing they aren't Pettersson or JB for that matter....

Elias trending to ultra-elite status....and Brock having the second fastest start  ( PPG ) for a Rookie's NHL career ....only McJesus is above him...Mathews, Laine, etc. are all below what Boeser is doing.....Elias and Brock together...BrockEliasous....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...people being people....just a good thing they aren't Pettersson or JB for that matter....

Elias trending to ultra-elite status....and Brock having the second fastest start  ( PPG ) for a Rookie's NHL career ....only McJesus is above him...Mathews, Laine, etc. are all below what Boeser is doing.....Elias and Brock together...BrockEliasous....

Brock is my favourite Canuck already and I'm excited too, but it's important to keep context. Brock is almost 21, not 18 like most of the other guys.

• Upvote 4