The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Well, I promised you guys some updates, but since someone is posting every play he makes - I don't think I need to talk about that. However, what I'm going to continue to talk about is the whole "Pettersson and Dahlén needs to play together". I was convinced at first, but now I'm not too sure. He did play with both Lundberg and Pesonen today - two of the best players in the SHL. Pesonen, superb skill and with a lot of knowledge, and Lundberg being a "space maker" for Pettersson is pretty much the best that you could ask for if you want him to develop. 

Pesonen was very excited the other day when I had a chance to have a chat with him! He said: "It's amazing, just to see that type of hand-eye coordination is mind blowing. It makes me super excited every time I'm on the ice to see what he can do, just for the fact that you don't really have a clue. He's truly a wizard" then I asked him what he thinks about playing as a centerman (he's usually a winger) and he said: "I think its fun, it's a bit more work if I'm being honest. But just to be able to feed the puck to Elias and to see him glow, that's everything. I feel like a proud Dad"

So, with that being said, I think Elias will do just fine without Dahlén. The Lakers has an idea of what Canucks wants, and they will surely deliver that

i have noticed Pesonen (he's the #22 right?) making some nifty puck skills in tight areas. i too think they'll do well together. thought the coach gave Elias a lot of ice time after the goal albeit ~8min to go in the 3rd and got a first shift in 3v3 OT. again showed a lot of defensive awareness throughout the game....also counted quite many of him on his knees 

Canucks Army has an article with some observations on today's Champions League action involving our prospects:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/

Of interest, Jeremy Davis embedded a link to the full game video in the article comments section. It's still working if anyone's interested in watching the game (and you need to access it through CA because link is dead when you go directly through YouTube).

EDIT: most of Pettersson's best highlights are posted already. But you can see a decent scoring chance by Jašek. He comes on the ice at around 1:17:20 into the video, at tail end of a PK, and shows a nice burst of speed to help create a two-on-one chance (unfortunately one he doesn't finish).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He already plays defence better than most 18 year old's who are defensive minded forwards.

Well, "most 18 year old's who are defensive minded forwards" don't make the NHL.

Most NHL-ers were beasts offensively in the lower levels, whatever their specialty ended up being in the show.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Well, "most 18 year old's who are defensive minded forwards" don't make the NHL.

Most NHL-ers were beasts offensively in the lower levels, whatever their specialty ended up being in the show.

Well most NHLers who were beasts offensively in the lower levels didnt have great defensive play. Thats my point.

He already is a beast offensively at the lower levels, on top of that he competes hard in all 3 zones. 

He could be a two way force for us one day.

i saw the whole game.

he barely got an assist with a wonderfull pass to a guy who was hooked.at the last second (that lead to a PP). 

he played on 2nd PPunit, and while being slightly inconspicuous, he took some shots, went to the corners and buzzed around, especially in the 3rd. 

i was amazed by his backchecking speed.

he read the play well which has lead to a last partial breakaway that had to be stopped by a really good save from the goalie. 

clearly a 3points night effort. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Zetterberg wears #40 doesn't he?  Because this kid sure looks like him out there.  That would be best case scenario

Not sure he will be as solid on the puck as HZ but he does seem to already have been hands than HZ ever had in terms of tight space moves and ability to make the puck "do things".   All I know from watching this is that he looks far from out of place - if he does indeed add those needed pounds he may be one of the most offensively gifted players Vancouver has had in their system - I am too young to know what Bure looked like out of the gate but EP hitting the NHL in one or two years may be that kind of special - who knows but there are very few people in hockey that have those kinds of hands!

• Upvote 1