The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So a kid coming from Europe moving to a different country with a different language and a different sized ice surface is a bust after one year because he didn't dominate the second best professional hockey league in the world. 

Seems a little harsh even if he is a leafs prospect.  Kids got the tools, needs a few years, that is not unreasonable for a first round draft pick.  Maybe he is all wheels and no brain, wouldn't be the first but the Leafs lucked out when he fell to them.  Still a very good prospect but has some work to do.  Same can be said for most prospects, that is why they are prospects.

All wheels and no brain is not an unfair description of Jake either, he seems to finally be getting it.  They are doing the right thing letting Liljegren stew in the AHL for 2-3 years to really see what they got and develop him.  Would have been better if Jake had taken that path instead of being rushed into the league.

May want to add that he is the 2nd highest scoring 18 year old d-man in AHL history.Second only to Slava Voyonov who had 23 points in 61 games while Liljegren had 17 in 41 games. Seems about right to claim him a bust at 18. Oh, and he had 6 more points than Hampus Lindholm in 44 games with the same number of goals. Guess nobody would want him on the Canucks....another bust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

May want to add that he is the 2nd highest scoring 18 year old d-man in AHL history.Second only to Slava Voyonov who had 23 points in 61 games while Liljegren had 17 in 41 games. Seems about right to claim him a bust at 18. Oh, and he had 6 more points than Hampus Lindholm in 44 games with the same number of goals. Guess nobody would want him on the Canucks....another bust.

Too small even though he is similar in size to orr 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This team will be loaded with young forwards in the coming years. Adding a few solid guys that can deter the meatheads of the league would be a very high priority this off season. 

They still gotta play a good game, or they will not fit in the line up? Might as well play Motte, or Goldobin...

Its why people have such a thing for Kane.

7 hours ago, R3aL said:

How many U20 dmen typically tear up the AHL?

just curious..

i will admit his year hasn't been amazing by many accounts , but dmen take time and I think he has lots of potential. His trade value should be slightly lower now.

i would still be all over a 1st + Liljegren for Tanev package and if we had to add a little sure.

i think TL will be a solid second pairing PMD and second PP unit guy in a few years time.

At 19 Shea Theodore played 9 AHL games at the end of the year. Had 11 points.

There is nothing wrong with Liljegren's AHL points. He's 18. It will be interesting how he goes though. He is a compelling talent.  But fell in the draft, I think, because his decision making was not up to speed?  Composure with the puck, against increased pressure in a faster game, will be an absolute must if he is going to make it.  Some, very few say Doughty, have it right away. Most have to learn it & not all do.

Some uber talented Swede D that never quite made it; Tim Erixon, David Rundblad. 

Even though he did not put up huge numbers, that's why many were & are high on Juolevi. He always had a knack for being very smart with the puck. Including springing the break with stretch passes & evading pressure with simple plays.

• Cheers 2

I hope Elias absolutely rips the league apart next year and &^@#ing wins the rookie of the year. He can give a middle finger while he's at it to Assman and the NHL  headquarters while he's at it. 

54 minutes ago, Isam said:

Zboril was ranked higher then Conner and debrusk was ranked higher then boeser. The only reach was seneshyn.

They draft fairly extremely well. Even with some mi$&!#s. 

They had as many as 5 rookies in their line up at a time this year & finished 4th in the league. And they have some great young players. Pretty sure many would want Pastrnak, picked right after McCann, McAvoy, Donato or Carlo in their line up as well as Debrusk.  

Pastrnak went off for another 4 points again today. :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree with that and I don't even like Liljegren. Don't waste your time with Alf, it's not worth it.

Honestly Alf is one of the most closeted goofballs on the boards. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They still gotta play a good game, or they will not fit in the line up? Might as well play Motte, or Goldobin...

Its why people have such a thing for Kane.

At 19 Shea Theodore played 9 AHL games at the end of the year. Had 11 points.

There is nothing wrong with Liljegren's AHL points. He's 18. It will be interesting how he goes though. He is a compelling talent.  But fell in the draft, I think, because his decision making was not up to speed?  Composure with the puck, against increased pressure in a faster game, will be an absolute must if he is going to make it.  Some, very few say Doughty, have it right away. Most have to learn it & not all do.

Some uber talented Swede D that never quite made it; Tim Erixon, David Rundblad. 

Even though he did not put up huge numbers, that's why many were & are high on Juolevi. He always had a knack for being very smart with the puck. Including springing the break with stretch passes & evading pressure with simple plays.

Jury is still out on Liljegren but he has lots of natural talent.   He struggled at WJC this year on a decent Swedish team in terms of being "in sync" with many of his team (passes were off etc.) but if Canucks could pry him, he is a nice looking prospect.   Far from ready to close books on this kid.   May take until 22 or 23 to be full-time NHL but could be worth the wait.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Isam said:

Iss still had zboril and debrusk over boeser. But Boston did hit very good in the 2015 draft.

I just remember watching the draft and wondering why they were passing up on guys like Barzal and Connor. Sure they may have done well but damn just think if they had Barzal, Conner and Boeser. That's the three top rookies this year.

8 hours ago, Isam said:

Central scouting

Not a fan of central scoutings lists, come one put the euro's on a separate list? Only scouting service that hasnt amalgamated the European Prospects and the North Americans. But to each his own. 

Edited by JamesBlondage

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

I just remember watching the draft and wondering why they were passing up on guys like Barzal and Connor. Sure they may have done well but damn just think if they had Barzal, Conner and Boeser. That's the three top rookies this year.

It was their second rounder that really made that draft what it is and Brendan Carlo is a beast in training.  forsbacka-karlsson is looking like he is gonna be a player at one point too. But I digress, when is ep40 playing next. That is more important.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

It was their second rounder that really made that draft what it is and Brendan Carlo is a beast in training.  forsbacka-karlsson is looking like he is gonna be a player at one point too. But I digress, when is ep40 playing next. That is more important.

I agree, Carlo is going to be a beast for sure...would've looked great in a Canucks uniform

• Upvote 1