The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Tanev's future could be factored into who Benning anticipates drafting in June. If he sees a clear path to his primary choice Tanev might be retained simply to solidify the d-core. We don't know what is cooking. Tanev might have more value at the TDL next spring. Personally I would like to move him now if possible.  

To me it’s more about who JB is targeting as a FA

With any pick outside the top 3, there will be little impact on the roster next season from this draft. 

The only position that I see being questionable would be LW. Let’s say Tkachuk falls to 7, then he would be the obvious pick. He is a player that could make the team year. No d man outside Dahlin is playing in the NHL next year. 

So if Vancouver wants to roll the dice and go hard after Carlson then Tanev becomes expendable and can be traded for addition picks/prospects. 

If Vancover is willing to take on Spezza’s deal as a cap dump, we could also gain more picks. 

We can afford to do both ATM.  Although I would prefer to target JVR along with Carlson vs taking on Spezza. 

Teams that I would target for a Tanev trade, NYI, they are after a RHD and Tanev would be an improvement on De Haan at a very reasonable price. They have 2 picks in the top 15.  

NYR.  No coach would appreciate Tanev more than AV. They have a top 15 pick. 

Lastly, TO. This is the team that would likely want Tanev more than any other. They have a mid round pick and a few prospects we could certainly add.

Whomever we take at 7 will be a very good player. 

Tkachuk could fall. Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Smith Wahlstrom, Wilde are all possibly there. 

Anyone of those guys could end up being the second or third best player in the draft. Dahlin is such a  consensus talent, but stranger things have happened. 

4 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

With any pick outside the top 3, there will be little impact on the roster next season from this draft. 

The only position that I see being questionable would be LW. Let’s say Tkachuk falls to 7, then he would be the obvious pick. He is a player that could make the team year. No d man outside Dahlin is playing in the NHL next year. 

So if Vancouver wants to roll the dice and go hard after Carlson then Tanev becomes expendable and can be traded for addition picks/prospects. 

If Vancover is willing to take on Spezza’s deal as a cap dump, we could also gain more picks. 

We can afford to do both ATM.  Although I would prefer to target JVR along with Carlson vs taking on Spezza. 

Teams that I would target for a Tanev trade, NYI, they are after a RHD and Tanev would be an improvement on De Haan at a very reasonable price. They have 2 picks in the top 15.  

Lastly, TO. This is the team that would likely want Tanev more than any other. They have a mid round pick and a few prospects we could certainly add.

Tkachuk could fall. Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Smith Wahlstrom, Wilde are all possibly there. 

Anyone of those guys could end up being the second or third best player in the draft. Dahlin is such a  consensus talent, but stranger things have happened. 

AV is not the NYR coach anymore............

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I'd target PHI as well. They also have two early mid firsts and Tanev would be a sizable upgrade on MacDonald for them and would give them a ridiculous top 4 with Tanev slotting in nicely on a 2nd, shutdown pair with Hagg.

Provorov, Gost

Hagg, Tanev

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Now that it’s clear Canucks aren’t picking first......

Pettersson is a better prospect than Dahlin, yeah I said it. 

Let the Homerism flow through you, you know it to be true 

He's a better forward than Dahlin!

Edited by 250Integra

13 minutes ago, Derp... said:
Thoughts on his game today for Sweden vs Finland

My comment is a little OT for this thread, but I really appreciate your last point re: power play fits with our current/future personnel at the top of the roster (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, etc), especially when it comes to Hughes.

I see Hughes fitting in very well with our young group and having the skillset to really play to the strengths and support the effectiveness of our key forwards, rather than compete/clash with them.

In a similar vein, I think the RH/LH thing is overblown, given that we actually have a bunch of RH shooters at forward, and most likely will run 4F 1D sets on the power play. 

Of course, RHDs come at a premium and we need to add some to the system from an overall depth/balance perspective. But when it comes to acquiring that future PPQB/PMD, I don’t think handedness should be a big concern. You choose the best player and then balance the RH/LH thing around him.

And honestly, outside of Dahlin, I strongly believe Hughes would be the best addition to our future roster, in terms of filling a serious need while complimenting the skills and strengths of the other young emerging stars in our system.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My comment is a little OT for this thread, but I really appreciate your last point re: power play fits with our current/future personnel at the top of the roster (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, etc), especially when it comes to Hughes.

I see Hughes fitting in very well with our young group and having the skillset to really play to the strengths and support the effectiveness of our key forwards, rather than compete/clash with them.

In a similar vein, I think the RH/LH thing is overblown, given that we actually have a bunch of RH shooters at forward, and most likely will run 4F 1D sets on the power play. 

Of course, RHDs come at a premium and we need to add some to the system from an overall depth/balance perspective. But when it comes to acquiring that future PPQB/PMD, I don’t think handedness should be a big concern. You choose the best player and then balance the RH/LH thing around him.

And honestly, outside of Dahlin, I strongly believe Hughes would be the best addition to our future roster, in terms of filling a serious need while complimenting the skills and strengths of the other young emerging stars in our system.

The Hughes train is quite comfortable. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Looks like Pettersson made the cut:

That Swedish coach....just creating drama by saying it was between EP and Lias Anderson....they both made the team and if he had left EP off the team the other 2/3rd's of the first line would have been pissed and the Swedish management might just have offed him....

...drama queen....

13 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That Swedish coach....just creating drama by saying it was between EP and Lias Anderson....they both made the team and if he had left EP off the team the other 2/3rd's of the first line would have been pissed and the Swedish management might just have offed him....

...drama queen....

I was actually at the games both against Russia and Finland.

Against Russia, Andersson played hard and was more noticeable playing with Zibanejad and I think Janmark, whereas EP played the safe game and deferred the puck quite a bit to Backlund.

Against Finland, EP showed that he is the best playmaker on the team whereas Andersson ended up playing on a checking line with Axel Johnsson-Fjallby. If anything, I think the last spot on the team was between Andersson and Johnsson-Fjallby.

EP played #1PP and was very dangerous with the puck. When Sweden had 5-on-3 PP, somehow, they went with Backlund-Zibanejad-Janmark. I guess Janmark for net front presence and OEL and Klingberg to QB the PP. But it was obvious that Backlund was not so effective making plays at the half wall as EP so they really got nothing done during 5-on-3.

I do have to give some props to Andersson and Johnsson-Fjallby. Andersson has NHL ready frame. Kind of built like Max Domi. He was engaged quite a bit physically and knocked off pucks off of the defenders effectively. Johnsson-Fjallby was a fast skater, reminded me a bit of Hansen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I was actually at the games both against Russia and Finland.

Against Russia, Andersson played hard and was more noticeable playing with Zibanejad and I think Janmark, whereas EP played the safe game and deferred the puck quite a bit to Backlund.

Against Finland, EP showed that he is the best playmaker on the team whereas Andersson ended up playing on a checking line with Axel Johnsson-Fjallby. If anything, I think the last spot on the team was between Andersson and Johnsson-Fjallby.

EP played #1PP and was very dangerous with the puck. When Sweden had 5-on-3 PP, somehow, they went with Backlund-Zibanejad-Janmark. I guess Janmark for net front presence and OEL and Klingberg to QB the PP. But it was obvious that Backlund was not so effective making plays at the half wall as EP so they really got nothing done during 5-on-3.

I do have to give some props to Andersson and Johnsson-Fjallby. Andersson has NHL ready frame. Kind of built like Max Domi. He was engaged quite a bit physically and knocked off pucks off of the defenders effectively. Johnsson-Fjallby was a fast skater, reminded me a bit of Hansen.

Thanks for that rundown on what went down...I can't wait to see how he is deployed in the tourney...!

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Stech said:

Is Nilsson going to be the starting goalie? I've heard of Gustavsson before but isn't he a fairly raw prospect?

I think Nilsson is one of the reasons why Sweden lost today against Finland. Bobbled the puck few times. And overall, he wasn't so great.

Against Russia, I think the goalie was Gustavsson? Whoever that was, should be the starter if Sweden wants to win games. He was very stable. 

17 minutes ago, khay said:

I think Nilsson is one of the reasons why Sweden lost today against Finland. Bobbled the puck few times. And overall, he wasn't so great.

Against Russia, I think the goalie was Gustavsson? Whoever that was, should be the starter if Sweden wants to win games. He was very stable. 

It was Magnus Hellberg who was goalie yesterday against Russia, but yes after this weekend he should be first in the WC IMO.

• Upvote 1