The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Hank was wider than him.

I'm not entirely complaining about the pick, but I know and understand he's going to be a long term project

Oh, yeah I agree with you about him being long-term. I think there's a lot to be found there for a team that's willing to allow him developmental time, though.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Even if he does fill out and gain some weight, chances are he'll never get close to 200 lbs. Maybe 180 lbs.

I worry about how well his game will translate to the NHL. You can have all the skill you want, but the body has to be able to transfer it.

I'm not huge on this pick, but, if you have the right skillset, size plays less of a role.

Marner, Nylander, Gaudreau among others have all proved you can have success at NHL level with a smaller frame.

Granted, they are all wingers (or playing wing as of right now anyways)

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The biggest fear I have with Petterson is his ability to actually gain weight

Look at the breadth of his shoulders.  He's not much different than the female anouncer.  They're about as wide across the shoulders as each other.

That slight of a frame will have a very tough time putting on weight and I can see him around 180 pounds in 2-4 years.

Think about a 180 pound center here in the west/pacific as a 1st line center.

I have a lot of faith and hope in him but there's a long LONG term project in our organization in Petterson

I think with an NHL calibre trainer he will be able to get strong enough to play the NHL game.  It's not that hard to gain muscle.  It's way harder to improve intelligence.  This guy seems to have the most important muscle, y'know the one between the ears, well trained.  There's no such thing as a sure thing but I'd rather have a smart player that was physically immature than the other way around.  GCG!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Borvat said:

Well I like what I see and I like what we would get.  With Juolevi sure, maybe, one day he will be better.  Maybe and one day don't make him a better pick than Tkachuk. 

Nor does Tkachuk playing one pretty good NHL season make him a better pick than a defender who is still developing.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

I truly don't see him ever becoming a 1st line center, hope I'm wrong, even if he is just a really good 2nd line center though, it's still a good pick. Look at how many players in top 10 become grinders on bottom six, or bottom pairing D

Of course when Cody Glass is available and is seen as someone similar to Mark Scheifele, who is a 1st line center, then I'd want Benning's head if Glass pans out and Petersen only becomes a 2nd line center 

• Haha 1

Just now, nux_win said:

I think with an NHL calibre trainer he will be able to get strong enough to play the NHL game.  It's not that hard to gain muscle.  It's way harder to improve intelligence.  This guy seems to have the most important muscle, y'know the one between the ears, well trained.  There's no such thing as a sure thing but I'd rather have a smart player that was physically immature than the other way around.  GCG!

Time and patience

Just now, Glory_Days said:

I'm not huge on this pick, but, if you have the right skillset, size plays less of a role.

Marner, Nylander, Gaudreau among others have all proved you can have success at NHL level with a smaller frame.

Granted, they are all wingers (or playing wing as of right now anyways)

Well, that's the thing. It seems to be a lot easier for guys with slight frames to make it in the league as wingers than they do as centers. Especially in the west.

All I pretty much see is people talking about Petersson's size. I still think most of our scouts should be pulled out of Sweden and put in the WHL so they know where most of the talented players come from. That being said...this pick has shades of regret from not picking Willie Nylander instead of Jake Virtanen all over it. What I REALLY like about this pick is he can come over to N.A, be assessed by the team, and then sent to Utica to play big minutes and have his diet monitored, so he can gain that size we all are so worried about him not getting. Maybe he can get some chemistry with Jake down on the farm and they can make the team together, properly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Of course when Cody Glass is available and is seen as someone similar to Mark Scheifele, who is a 1st line center, then I'd want Benning's head if Glass pans out and Petersen only becomes a 2nd line center 

But Pettersson has been compared to Nik Backstrom, who is also a 1st line center.

• Upvote 1

Exact feeling from when we picked Virtanen, probably too high and at least maybe we could have traded down and still gotten him.

With Vilardi and Mittelstadt still on the board, we could have dropped a few spots and still gotten our guy.

Lets hope picking the highest skill level works.

I would have picked Vilardi with that selection.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2