The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Pettersson will be a superstar eventually. Not sure I could see 120 to 150 points like someone mentioned earlier, but I could see 100. He's still basically a kid though, and there's a lot of transitioning for him, going from one part of the world playing in that league to NA and the NHL. He still needs to recover from his broken wrist and to put on a few train hard. Will he be ready by then? I could see him possibly taking one more year in Sweden. But if he stays with the team, he'll be heavily sheltered for a while. Maybe a Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson line in the bottom 6, until he shows his scoring prowess and that he's also defensively responsible. Could be a year or two, but eventually he'll be great.  

he should be in Utica next year scoring 150+ points easy. Otherwise he isn't a bonafide superstar - said some guy on CDC

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

he should be in Utica next year scoring 150+ points easy. Otherwise he isn't a bonafide superstar - said some guy on CDC

If somebody was even close to getting on pace to those totals they would be elevated to the NHL so quickly...

Points don't come like they used to, though. Pettersson will be a point-per-game player in the NHL, and in this era that is difficult to come by. I imagine he has the odd 90 point season, but he's genuinely not McDavid...

42 minutes ago, nergish said:

If somebody was even close to getting on pace to those totals they would be elevated to the NHL so quickly...

Points don't come like they used to, though. Pettersson will be a point-per-game player in the NHL, and in this era that is difficult to come by. I imagine he has the odd 90 point season, but he's genuinely not McDavid...

He might not be?

But he might...

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Pettersson will be a superstar eventually. Not sure I could see 120 to 150 points like someone mentioned earlier, but I could see 100. He's still basically a kid though, and there's a lot of transitioning for him, going from one part of the world playing in that league to NA and the NHL. He still needs to recover from his broken wrist and to put on a few train hard. Will he be ready by then? I could see him possibly taking one more year in Sweden. But if he stays with the team, he'll be heavily sheltered for a while. Maybe a Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson line in the bottom 6, until he shows his scoring prowess and that he's also defensively responsible. Could be a year or two, but eventually he'll be great.  

He broke his thumb, not wrist.  Healing time was something like 3 weeks.  He is already half way there.  

He will absolutely be ready in time and is going to have a nice long summer to train hard.

I really like the idea of playing him with Eriksson.  Loui is super solid defensively, and despite his crap production, he is a skilled guy and a great player. 

Could be a great mentor for our young Swede. 

Im stoked to see this kid come to camp at 175-180 and ready to go.  

10-20 games to adjust, then watch out!

• Upvote 2

It is highly entertaining to read some of the projections.   IF EP is in the NHL next year and hits 40ish points, that will be a great year.  If he hits 50, fantastic and if he gets to the rarified air of 60 to 70 then it is beyond wildest dreams for a rookie in his D+2 year.   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Oh @Rob_Zepp you dream to small.  The dreams of the youth of CDC far exceed yours.  I mean people are already talking about 120-150 points in today's NHL.  Get with the program.  

This is a place where A skinny kid who has never played in NA is definitively the next Gretzky, Gudbranson can slide into a top pairing, every draft pick from last year is going to be a star and we are going to land JT and Carlson for under market value.  It is already challenging to keep the other GMs from trading their best players for our scraps.  Or is it the opposite, I can never seem to get which way the wind is blowing during the summer of CDC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh @Rob_Zepp you dream to small.  The dreams of the youth of CDC far exceed yours.  I mean people are already talking about 120-150 points in today's NHL.  Get with the program.  

This is a place where A skinny kid who has never played in NA is definitively the next Gretzky, Gudbranson can slide into a top pairing, every draft pick from last year is going to be a star and we are going to land JT and Carlson for under market value.  It is already challenging to keep the other GMs from trading their best players for our scraps.  Or is it the opposite, I can never seem to get which way the wind is blowing during the summer of CDC.

The opposite comes a little later when he only scores 2 points in his first ten games and 5 in twenty.

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We are really lucky to have Pettersson coming to our team.  I see other great players wanting to come here to play with him.  EK is signing here July 1st, 2019.  

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That is literally the worst pair to put  EP with....he would do better with Motte and Liepsic than those 2....neither of them can pass the puck and EP would be trying to aqueous to the "veterans" all the time instead of just doing his own self he would be forcing passes to them only to have them lose the puck.

EP needs to play with any of the following:  

Bo, Boeser, Baer, Dahlen, Goldy, Gaudette, Liepsic or even Virtanen would be better....at least he can retrieve the puck and skate...

That said they will probably put him with Gagner and Granlund and then EP will have to retrieve the puck his own self..... 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That is literally the worst pair to put  EP with....he would do better with Motte and Liepsic than those 2....neither of them can pass the puck and EP would be trying to aqueous to the "veterans" all the time instead of just doing his own self he would be forcing passes to them only to have them lose the puck.

EP needs to play with any of the following:  

Bo, Boeser, Baer, Dahlen, Goldy, Gaudette, Liepsic or even Virtanen would be better....at least he can retrieve the puck and skate...

That said they will probably put him with Gagner and Granlund and then EP will have to retrieve the puck his own self..... 

I dunno. I think Eriksson really could be a good fit for Petterson. Sutter maybe not so much. He generally creates his points on his own.

24 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I dunno. I think Eriksson really could be a good fit for Petterson. Sutter maybe not so much. He generally creates his points on his own.

If Dahlen makes the team, it would be interesting to try 

Dahlen Petersson Eriksson

Just for a bit in the preseason to see if it clicks.  All swedes, Eriksson could be the veteran defensive presence while the boys bring the flair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It is highly entertaining to read some of the projections.   IF EP is in the NHL next year and hits 40ish points, that will be a great year.  If he hits 50, fantastic and if he gets to the rarified air of 60 to 70 then it is beyond wildest dreams for a rookie in his D+2 year.   

I expect 60 as a base line. I 'm still thinking many on CDC do not realize how lucky we are to get the best prospect out of Sweden in decades. This kid will be a threat every night. And will have chances in the first 5 to 10 games almost like Pavel Bure in Winnipeg. But until the game 20 mark CDC can be shocked when fans, and many others already Know. Elias is rare and a player like Elias has not been drafted ever. Wayne Gretzky was never drafted. To me it is like the Hockey God's have evened out the NHL bias towards Vancouver. If EP only gets 40 points when he will be stapled to the power play ,yeh you can say took along to adapt. But this high end talent Elias has is designed and made for points. Generational players don't start slow they they like McDavid start out at point per game clips.

• Like 1

I find it entertaining to see fans figure Elias is not going to get 40 points. Its like they are Racing horses with blinders on. If Elias struggled in the MENS League in Sweden. Or if he struggled in the WC I would say maybe you have something. This kid is real and has talent beyond what any can imagine especially when you put his Hockey IQ is off the charts.  I will apologize if ELias does not get 59 points . As I expect all the CDC'ers to apologize for their in ability to compare a 19 year old dominating Men in a league similar to the AHL. Just watching Dhalin in the AHL at the end of the season shows me the SHL is a step up from the AHL.

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I expect 60 as a base line. I 'm still thinking many on CDC do not realize how lucky we are to get the best prospect out of Sweden in decades. This kid will be a threat every night. And will have chances in the first 5 to 10 games almost like Pavel Bure in Winnipeg. But until the game 20 mark CDC can be shocked when fans, and many others already Know. Elias is rare and a player like Elias has not been drafted ever. Wayne Gretzky was never drafted. To me it is like the Hockey God's have evened out the NHL bias towards Vancouver. If EP only gets 40 points when he will be stapled to the power play ,yeh you can say took along to adapt. But this high end talent Elias has is designed and made for points. Generational players don't start slow they they like McDavid start out at point per game clips.

Sedins were older and had great success in SHL too.   Look at the point totals of these to be Art Ross winners and that is the baseline in my mind.   Hyping EP past two lock for HOF players before he has played an NHL minute is fine, but don’t bash the poor kid when he doesn’t meet lofty projections that may be a bit optimistic and not aligned with history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Rasmus Dahlin says hi::D!

I would not trade EP for the number 1 pick this year. Elias will be the point leader in the NHL very soon and will man the power play that will be deadly.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are really lucky to have Pettersson coming to our team.  I see other great players wanting to come here to play with him.  EK is signing here July 1st, 2019.  

For Swedish kids at least. It may really help when looking to the SHL for D free agents over the next few years. 

• Upvote 2