The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

EP is a amazing talent but he’s still a prospect and he still has a long ways to go before we crown him the greatest hockey player to ever live.

I’m afraid to see the reaction if he doesn’t come in a produce right away because of all the fans drooling over him. He’s a kid and we need to let him develop at his own rate.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/7/2018 at 12:48 AM, N7Nucks said:

McDavid was on pace to break 82+ points his first year. Followed that up with a 100 point season. And improved upon that with 108 points this season on a bum team. Probably not the best idea to compare EP to McJesus. But who knows, sky is the limit for Pettersson. 

I bet EP has these figures etched in his memory

Not saying EP is the best player. But saying he is the best prospect to come around in a long time. I am excited to see his potential. And McDavid was bragged up before he won anything. Its just that. Great player like McDavid and Matthews bring expectations!

So I am saying welcome to the club Elias you have earned it. And your accomplishments put you in this conversation.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP is better than Backstrom.....right now....EP has a more complete game already, he is better at shooting by a large margin....he is better at taking pucks away...he is better at reading plays and he is even a better passer.

EP is full on Franchise already and I can see him being more valuable will scoring roughly as many points as McD.,....

It was McD. who lost us the world championships with an own zone giveaway that looked like Gagme doing it....all the while our own Bo almost won the thing anyway.

Hell, Bo might be more valuable than Mcjesus....

I like the way you worded that both player bring completely different pedigrees but the value in what they do is similar. I was talking to my friend that was a Toronto fan a while ago trying to convince him that Bo to our team is like Matthew to his just in what they do for the team i never said bo was as skilled or anything but possibly more valuable in more sitautions. And my main point was look that the canucks 15 games after he was injured just shows how Valuable he was to us.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

EP is a amazing talent but he’s still a prospect and he still has a long ways to go before we crown him the greatest hockey player to ever live.

I’m afraid to see the reaction if he doesn’t come in a produce right away because of all the fans drooling over him. He’s a kid and we need to let him develop at his own rate.

Couldnt agree more lol... Its like saying Elias IS better than the Sedins..

Could he eventually be? Sure! But there are still many unknowns so lets go with hoping he develops into a valuable player not expecting him to be a superstar. :towel::canucks:

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Sorry to offend your sensibilities.....

oh....and ....Just Watch...!

Come back and tell me I am wrong in 2 years time....so far no-one has posterized me yet...

I was the first to claim that Boeser's shot was as good as Laine's....that was before Boeser every played an NHL game....many called me crazy...anyone left here saying that isn't true?

I called Bo making it and being a top 2 center for us before he ever played a game....that caused a riot and several posters committed suicide....(it seemed that way anyway)

Instead of admitting I was right.

Same thing with Stecher and Hutton (who is better than last year's play) 

The kids these days are awesome, they are well trained and they seem to be ready to go at an earlier stage....the whole league is that way and EP will be leading the vanguard of that movement.

....so go ahead and try to posterize me...see where that gets you....!

I honestly appreciate this optimistic energy.

It stands in firm contrast to the usual vitriol of CDC. 

But anyone can make bold claims. The names you're using cannot be thrown around lightly. Elias may well skate among them, as he has the highest possible potential you can have as a player coming into the league. He could become the face of the new NHL - he looks to be that good. But he's done nothing in North America yet. He needs time and needs to gain some bruises, climb some hills, etc. to become a special player.

My bold claim is that the Canucks best player for the next 5-8 years will be Thatcher Demko.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's shown a pattern of taking some time to adapt to a new level basically everywhere else he's played. As such, I think we can pretty much assume he's not going to produce right away

• Upvote 4

On 6/7/2018 at 11:40 PM, CanuckGAME said:

McDavid is the best hockey player in the world.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:21 AM, CanuckGAME said:

I agree sid is the better player

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

:unsure:

stop it

using a person's own words against them

is just soo..... .

you know he meant to add "universe" after the post about sid :P

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m sorry but backstrom is one of the best passers there is in the game. Elias is and will be a heck of an NHL but saying he’s better that a #1 center who consistently puts up 70+ points a year is the definition of over hyping. 

Lets temper things a bit, he’s a 19 year old kid about to just learn the NA game. The last thing he needs to deal with is fans being upset that he doesn’t come in a put up a ppg in his rookie season.  

Did Apollo hack your account?  

....just watch....!

9 hours ago, nergish said:

But anyone can make bold claims. The names you're using cannot be thrown around lightly. Elias may well skate among them, as he has the highest possible potential you can have as a player coming into the league. He could become the face of the new NHL - he looks to be that good. But he's done nothing in North America yet. He needs time and needs to gain some bruises, climb some hills, etc. to become a special player.

My bold claim is that the Canucks best player for the next 5-8 years will be Thatcher Demko.

If you are right about Demko being better than Boeser and EP and Bo...

Then we will be in Cup contention for years to come...!   ....I can't see it taking him anywhere near 8 years to get to where he's going though....!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....just watch....!

And if Elias doesn’t put up 80 points next year then what?  You going to admit you were wrong?

What if he only puts up 40-50 points (which would be extremely respectable for a 19 year old in his first NA season) You going to call him a bust?

• Wat 2

10 hours ago, nergish said:

Well put....

A bold statement indeed.  If you are correct then the Nucks will finally hoist the cup.  Like Holtby, if Demko can develop into (bare minimum) a 'clutch' goalie then that should be enough, because I believe the team is drafting and developing the right way.  

Is it just me...  Or are there no 'lights out' goaltenders right now?  Sign if the times?  Related to equipment change?  What I'm getting at is maybe the days of the dominant goalies are over... Throwback to the goalies of the 80's (Grant Fuhr). Thoughts?

Edited by Rodishred

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And if Elias doesn’t put up 80 points next year then what?  You going to admit you were wrong?

What if he only puts up 40-50 points (which would be extremely respectable for a 19 year old in his first NA season) You going to call him a bust?

Wrong about what...?

Calling any of our prospects a bust is not in my DNA....

Look guys ....I am trying to tell you how good our players are....if you don't like it  ...and it makes you want to block me or leave CDC altogether ....then that's great...goodbye...!

Elias is too good for you naysayer's....and you don't need a Crystal ball to see that...it is Crystal Clear and if you guys open your eyes and quite the closed minds you could see that too...

1 hour ago, Rodishred said:

Well put....

A bold statement indeed.  If you are correct then the Nucks will finally hoist the cup.  Like Holtby, if Demko can develop into (bare minimum) a 'clutch' goalie then that should be enough, because I believe the team is drafting and developing the right way.  

Is it just me...  Or are there no 'lights out' goaltenders right now?  Sign if the times?  Related to equipment change?  What I'm getting at is maybe the days of the dominant goalies are over... Throwback to the goalies of the 80's (Grant Fuhr). Thoughts?

I think Fleury was a dominant goalie for 98% of the Vegas G Knights season. That is why they made it to the Stanley Cup finals. Unfortunately his last five games were not dominant. 

But to your point, maybe it is because so many pro NHLers are all so damn good now that there is very little that separates the top 10 or 15 goalies.

46 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Wrong about what...?

Calling any of our prospects a bust is not in my DNA....

Look guys ....I am trying to tell you how good our players are....if you don't like it  ...and it makes you want to block me or leave CDC altogether ....then that's great...goodbye...!

Elias is too good for you naysayer's....and you don't need a Crystal ball to see that...it is Crystal Clear and if you guys open your eyes and quite the closed minds you could see that too...

Hyperbole on a message board is easy.  We will all see how it shakes out in the next couple years.

46 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think Fleury was a dominant goalie for 98% of the Vegas G Knights season. That is why they made it to the Stanley Cup finals. Unfortunately his last five games were not dominant. 

But to your point, maybe it is because so many pro NHLers are all so damn good now that there is very little that separates the top 10 or 15 goalies.

Yah Fleury had a Vezina kinda year (probably wins it this year?) for sure.... Just not seeing consistently dominating consecutive seasons by any goalie these days.

Regardless I like seeing more goals in games now.  Much more entertaining.  This years SC final was lots of fun to watch!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

Yah Fleury had a Vezina kinda year (probably wins it this year?) for sure.... Just not seeing consistently dominating consecutive seasons by any goalie these days.

Regardless I like seeing more goals in games now.  Much more entertaining.  This years SC final was lots of fun to watch!

Fleury was hurt this year and only played 46 games, the knights were able to get where they were with the back ups they had.  Fleury was not even nominated, so their is zero chance he wins the Vezina this year.  The nominees are Pekka Rinne, Connor Hellebuyck and Andrei Vasilevskiy

• Upvote 4