The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I can't believe people still care about his weight... :picard:

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares-14030273.pn

He'll be 170+ lbs at camp with a strong core and elite ability. Any muscle gain putting him over 175 is gravy. This is SOOOOO low on my worry list.

I think we all just want to ensure that EP doesn't get Philip Larsen'd... that hit said everything that needs to be said about NA pro vs Euro pro. (It's also the only reason I flinch about selecting Boqvist in the draft... is he Larsen or Karlsson, y'know?)

I personally don't think Elias needs to change a damn thing, but 5-10 extra pounds would be great. It's a non-issue, as it's practically impossible for him not gain that kind of weight entering into adulthood...

Edited by nergish

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You mean more legit than a three follower Twitter account? 

The only other source I could find for Pettersson being 178 lbs was that same Twitter account 4 days earlier:

I think “confirmed recently” is probably just a reference to the May 25th interview. That’s the one where Elias was initially quoted as saying “177” (lbs) but apparently actually said “77” (kg) on the audio and was misquoted.

EDIT: Either than or Pettersson has gained 8 lbs over the past 3 weeks! Seems like a lot but who knows what “Alien” is actually capable of? He learned unicycle juggling in only one day after all. ;) 

Plus he has been eating at Paris restaurants recently:

I know I found it pretty easy to put on some weight that way. :lol:

Who knows what he weighs now? Maybe he’s 170. Maybe he’s 178. Either way, he’s gonna be fine.

And it’s possible he’s added some weight since the interview. He certainly looked a bit thicker in the pictures from yesterday’s European Hockey Awards:

Good eye...if you look where his neck meets his shoulders...his neck has gotten much thicker since the last photo's of him...seems to have some meat on his cheeks now too...hopefully ...all 4 cheeks....

Petterson knows what he needs to do. His last season is a clear indication of that. He'll naturally gain muscle mass and size as he moves into his twenties.

The team needs to gain a few hundred pounds in players acquired through trades or free agency to help insulate players like Boeser and Petterson so that they don't have to by looking over their shoulders every two seconds.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, tas said:

how would carrying 10 extra pounds have helped larsen not get caught with his head down in a high risk area?

Lol, it wouldn't. But it's the SHL vs NHL reality check thing...

I mean, the guy was a wizard in that league and looked like a fish out water here. Not just on that play, he was lost from day 1 in Vancouver.

Obviously we're talking about two very different guys at completely different points in their careers with much different skillsets, but it's a cautionary tale to be sure.

Please know: EP will get rocked.

He will get up, be pissed about it, and dangle the goalie right to the goal line for a beauty. 

I guess the only legitimate concern is that he gets hit and is set back a bit, losing confidence to go to hard areas. I just don't see it with a kid that driven though. Plus he's evasive as hell, he'll be fine. I honestly think Dahlen will be too... 

5 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lol, it wouldn't. But it's the SHL vs NHL reality check thing...

I mean, the guy was a wizard in that league and looked like a fish out water here. Not just on that play, he was lost from day 1 in Vancouver.

Larsen played in the KHL, not SHL FWIW.

Just now, aGENT said:

Larsen played in the KHL, not SHL FWIW.

Wow, yes. My bad. Swede in Russia.

Was confusing him with Rodin a bit.

Rodin was an altogether different beast. Here's hoping Elias stays much healthier than both of them!

2h ago

Travis Green excited to see top prospect Pettersson in Canucks line-up

•  

Elias Pettersson Vaxjo

Elias Pettersson Vaxjo

VANCOUVER – Travis Green remembers the moment he knew Elias Pettersson possessed a special spark. It was a year ago almost to the day following the National Hockey League combine and ahead of the draft when the Vancouver Canucks brought Pettersson to town for a look around the city and a tour of the team’s facilities. In a back room at Rogers Arena, Green, just weeks on the job after being hired as the Canucks head coach, had the opportunity to sit down with the highly-touted prospect.

It was a brief encounter, but it lasted long enough for Pettersson to leave an indelible impression.

“I talked to him for about five minutes – it was small talk because I didn’t know if we were going to draft him – and he had a real confidence to him and a real belief and that’s what stood out,” Green tells tsn1040.ca “I was like: ‘this kid – he’s going to play.’ He’s not cocky, but this guy is dialed in and has no doubt in his mind he’s going to play and he’s going to be good.”

A week after that meeting, the Canucks selected Pettersson fifth overall at the NHL Draft in Chicago and from that moment, Green has been charting his progress. Like everyone in the hockey world, the Canucks coach was captivated by Pettersson’s first season as a professional where he shredded the Swedish Hockey League leading his Vaxjo Lakers to the title.

Along the way, the 19-year-old shattered scoring records for teenagers and did so with a vast array of skills the Canucks hope will follow him, as Pettersson makes the transition to the NHL this fall. While Green concedes his duties behind the bench and the focus required to run his own team prevented him from watching Pettersson’s games overseas, the coach makes it clear that he saw plenty of the prospect’s exploits and came away impressed.

“Almost every day someone in the organization was sending me video of him scoring a goal or making a play,” Green says. “I talked to our scouts and our management about him and the one thing that stood out was his focus and his dedication. He knows what he wants and how he’s going to get there. And that’s a big part of young players succeeding in the NHL.”

As for what Pettersson’s statistics in the Swedish League mean as he climbs the hockey ladder, Green puts plenty of stock in the teen’s production against professionals last season.

“This guy had an amazing season and did things that no one had really ever done over there -- you’d be foolish to discount any of that,” he explains. “Is it a little bit of a different game? Yeah, it is. But the Swedish League is one of the best leagues in the world and there are lots of great young players who have done things over there and came over and had great careers. He was up to the task of all of those guys and even had better numbers. Me personally, I take notice of that and it means something to me, I know that.”

In 44 regular season games with Vaxjo, Pettersson scored 24 goals and registered 56 points. He added another 10 goals and 19 points in just 13 playoff games. For his efforts, he was named SHL Most Valuable Player, Playoff MVP, Rookie of the Year and Top Forward in the SHL. And just this week, Pettersson added another honour to his collection when he was named Young Player of the Year in all of European hockey.

After signing a three-year entry level contract with the Canucks last month, Pettersson should arrive in Vancouver with plenty of confidence as he prepares for his first NHL training camp this fall. Knowing his team can desperately use an injection of skill, Green is already counting down the days until he puts Pettersson to work but cautions there will likely be an adjustment for the young scoring star.

“I think it’s going to be an eye-opener -- it always is for every young guy’s first training camp,” Green says. “But I have a good feeling about this kid. He’s smart, he’s played pro hockey, he’s been around professionals. I’m confident he’s going to come to camp and be in great shape and be as strong as he can be. And that’s the first step for every guy.  And the message, even to our veterans, is that you have to be ready to put your best foot forward from the first day. I’m confident Elias will do that and that will give him the best chance to succeed. But training camp is hard and there might be some days when he’s tired. There is a lot more one-one-one battling in an NHL training camp than he’s probably seen over in Sweden. But the one thing about good players is that they figure it out.”

What Green hasn’t yet figured out is where he’ll use Pettersson at least to start his NHL career. Drafted as a centre and projected to eventually line-up in the middle for the Canucks - the Sundsvall, Sweden native spent much of this past season on the right side both at even strength and while running the Vaxjo power-play.

Green figures he’ll experiment with Pettersson and get a long look at him in both positions through camp and the pre-season.

“I think it’s a bit of a wait and see,” the coach explains. “He could end up coming in and playing centre right away. We know he’s capable of playing both. We want to put this guy in a position to succeed. Even though sometimes people don’t always agree with it, we’re always trying to put players in positions to succeed – not just for that day and that week, but long term. We want to give him power play time. We want to give him areas of the ice he can produce. But it’s one step at a time. Obviously, he’s got to come to camp and we’ll get him plenty of ice time and we’ll figure it out as we go.”

There are already questions about Pettersson’s ability to adjust and adapt to North American life and whether his skill set will translate to smaller ice surfaces over here. To that end, he has played in a pair of World Junior Championships on this side of the Atlantic and spent a week at Canucks Development Camp after last year’s draft so he been exposed to NHL rinks.

Green figures Pettersson’s high hockey IQ will allow him to make the transition seamlessly. The coach also downplays any discussion about Pettersson’s slight frame – he was drafted at 168 pounds but is now listed closer to 180 – pointing to a growing list of smaller players coming up big for their respective NHL teams.

From Patrick Kane to Johnny Gaudreau to Jonathan Marchessault to Clayton Keller, all have shown an ability to excel and produce despite facing concerns about their size.

“They read the game, anticipate plays better than guys and use their hockey sense to their advantage,” Green says. “Look at Kane or Gaudreau, they might not be the biggest guys, but they have plenty of strength and win their share of loose puck battles. And I believe Pettersson will be alright. But there will be sometimes when he might look a little weaker, but that’s okay. It’s up to us to make sure we do right by this guy. He has a chance to be a real special player and a guy we can have in our organization for a long, long time.”

With a year on the job giving him a better understanding of the demands of the Vancouver hockey market, Green knows expectations in this city will be lofty for Pettersson. The coach watched the way the fanbase embraced Brock Boeser during his remarkable rookie season and feels strongly that Pettersson will be treated the same way.

With 29 goals and a Rookie of the Year nomination, Boeser proved the impact a young player can have on a franchise in his first year in the league. Perhaps that makes life easier for Pettersson coming into a setting where he can use Boeser as a sounding board for everything he’ll face in his first trip around the league. The counter to that argument though is that Boeser has set the bar remarkably high for those who follow in his footsteps.

Pettersson could produce 40 points, which would qualify as a highly-successful first NHL season and yet it wouldn’t compare to the 55 points Boeser amassed in just 62 games before his rookie campaign was cut short by a back injury.

Green understands that, through no fault of his own, Pettersson will be subjected to comparisons to Boeser.

“I think it’s good talking material among fans and rightly so, but once a player gets into the action they’re worried about themselves and what they can do,” Green says of wanting Pettersson to play his own game. “He’s not going to feel the heat that he has to do what Brock did. He doesn’t need to be our saviour right away. There is a lot of hype on this guy and even though I think he’s very mature, that’s a lot for a young guy and we have to be sure we handle that well and help him through that. But it’s hard not to get excited about a guy that had the season he did.”

Green’s excitement grows by the day as he works on plans for training camp in September. Getting the chance to slot Pettersson into the line-up would bring a smile to any coach’s face. Green will join the Canucks entourage at the draft in Dallas next week and after that he’ll try to squeeze in some summer downtime with his family before ramping up his workload for his second season behind the bench.

And he’s also looking to chat with Pettersson at some point soon. However, Green is discovering what Swedish Hockey League defenders discovered on the ice this season, the youngster is not an easy guy to track down.

“We’ve been texting back and forth,” Green laughs. “We planned on catching up after the season and then he made the World Championship team. And when he got hurt (broken thumb), I texted him and told him to get his surgery and heal up. We just haven’t connected yet, but I’m sure we will this week. I tried calling him, but those European phone numbers...I dialled, and it wouldn’t go through.”

Soon enough Travis Green figures he’ll get Elias Pettersson on the line. After that, it’s all about the coach getting the prize prospect on a line to showcase his abundant skills as he begins his career as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. The fan base can’t wait. Neither can Green.

DId any of you all notice closer to 180 lbs? From a valid source Travis Green interview.

Edited by cory40
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, richado said:

Whenever I see Aquilini drooling over Pettersson on Twitter I imagine him seeing Elias as millions of dollar bills zooming around on skates

FTFY

Edit: I love how Benning, Green, and the organization are straight up acknowledging that he'll be on the roster to start the season. Normally, even with almost-sure things, the approach is extreme, mind-numbing caution, "We'll see where he's at in camp", etc. Very refreshing interview from Green, who is a nice break from the typical hockey cliché junk that typically gets spewed.

Edited by Guile
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Guile said:

FTFY

Edit: I love how Benning, Green, and the organization are straight up acknowledging that he'll be on the roster to start the season. Normally, even with almost-sure things, the approach is extreme, mind-numbing caution, "We'll see where he's at in camp", etc. Very refreshing interview from Green, who is a nice break from the typical hockey cliché junk that typically gets spewed.

Could this optimism about Pettersson have to do with no more WD, and Green now being the coach?