The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2018 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

It is that time of the year to look forward to the next NHL Entry Draft once this one is complete.
And ooo boy this one is a special one.
I'll try to keep this updated and organized.
Maybe i'll bring good luck to the Canucks come 2018 :)

PAST DRAFT - 2017

Nico Hischier takes the top spot as Nolan Patrick's injury issues raised enough doubt to knock him off the top spot.
Neither player is projected to be much better than a good top center. The span from 2013-2019 has yielded at least one player that has been projected franchise at the top of the draft with 2015 having one generational talent to boot. 2017 is the only draft not expected to have a franchise player come out near the top,

Nico rose up the list over the year leading up to the 2017 NHL Draft and Patrick showed what was expected minus an unfortunate herniated disk.

Elias Pettersson was selected by the Canucks at 5. Given the ceiling of high end talent in this draft, it is not preposterous to see Elias become better than one of the top two selections. That however has yet to be seen.

Z Ranking Player POS Summary Comparable
1 Rasmus Dahlin D Elite on both sides of the puck. Top defender. Hedman
2 Andrei Svechnikov RW Scorer with big game style. Most exciting forward. Malkin
3 Filip Zadina LW Scoring winger with drive. Will be consistent scorer. Pacioretty
4 Brady Tkachuk LW Powerful. Hard to play against with will and skill. Perry
5 Noah Dobson D All around secure defender at both ends E. Johnson
6 Oliver Wahlstrom LW/C Plays an East-West game. Works hard to be effective Zetterberg
7 Adam Boqvist D Plays with skill and precision. High ceiling J. Klingberg
8 Quinton Hughes D Skilled and agile. Will be successful with seasoning Gostisbehere
9 Evan Bouchard D Great OHL play. Must work hard to prevent average Suter
10 Jakob Lauko LW Fast. Deceptive. Needs to round out game to acheive Larkin

NEXT DRAFT - 2019

Early to project but Jack Hughes(C) looks to be the number one selection ahead of time. He looks to rival Eichel in skill.
He has the ability to absolutely dominate the league and if he continues to develop well, there will be lots of buzz for the 2019 draft.
He plays a power game and some would argue he is a more special talent than the two top players in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

going back to the 2016 draft, the canucks have picked a good time to bottom scrape.  too bad the management team is fighting it so hard.  in spite of our lottery luck, we could have picked higher with a little, crafty gamesmanship.  hopefully the laws of gravity will see us get some deserved (we are a bad team right now) top picks in the next couple drafts.  these will be our defining drafts.  i gotta say after 5 decades, it is time we get to pickup some elite talent and set ourselves up for the next decade.  i just wish management would get on board and grease the skids a bit

Despite the strong hype everywhere and especially CDC for Dahlin, I would say there is a strong lean for Svechnikov to be the first selection at this moment of time.

Will be an interesting year ahead.

Cannot wait to draft 4th or 5th overall next year after a historically bad finish for the team

OMG we're the 31st team!

Oh....

We're slipping to 4th and LA won the draft at 1st, Boston moved up to 2nd and Oh FFS are you serious Chicago is drafting 3rd!

:P

Archived