The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hughes does not look small at all. He's not the biggest guy I've ever seen, but he doesn't even look as small as Ellis out there. With his speed, skating, agility and escape ability, he should be more than fine in the NHL.

Ugh this is just setting us up for heartbreak when he gets selected before us.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

According to TSN the fix for the Canucks is to "learn how to lose strategically" aka tank, and win the 2019 draft for Jack Hughes.

Thanks TSN! I'm sure Benning and Linden are working on a strategy to pay off Bettman right now!

Tf does that mean? 

I feel like at 7 we are in a safe range where whoever falls to us will be a quality player, go back to 2001 and only 3 or 4 years the player selected at 7th overall hasn't been all-star calibre 

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

According to TSN the fix for the Canucks is to "learn how to lose strategically" aka tank, and win the 2019 draft for Jack Hughes.

Thanks TSN! I'm sure Benning and Linden are working on a strategy to pay off Bettman right now!

Oh yeah. Just tank your watch with players like me. Woohoo. #finally living the dream.

38 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Tf does that mean? 

It means the jokers at TSN think the Leafs rebuild was successful because of "strategic losing", not because they lucked out in the draft lottery.

Meanwhile the Jets are going to the conference finals after finishing the same position we did this year in 2016, and jumping up to number 2 to select Laine.

But clearly if we had lost a few more games we would have won the lottery right?

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It means the jokers at TSN think the Leafs rebuild was successful because of "strategic losing", not because they lucked out in the draft lottery.

Meanwhile the Jets are going to the conference finals after finishing the same position we did this year in 2016, and jumping up to number 2 to select Laine.

But clearly if we had lost a few more games we would have won the lottery right?

TSN

the same ass wipes who were accusing us of purposely tanking and calling it a crime when we had those long ass losing streaks, same ass wipes calling our team stupid for winning meaningless games near the end, now they propose a tank go &^@# yourself s tsn.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Likely, but what if the Oilers offer #10 and Poolparty, or the Islanders offer #11 and #12? 

hmm that would be intriguing , I'd say go for the islanders two picks.. why cuz NyR will go off board and take Rasmus Sandin thinking they got the better Rasmus or Ty Smith and the Oilers well they are the Oilers so they'll take a forward and maybe someone that they think can play with McD so they'll take Farabee or Veleno, leaving at 11 and 12 Dobson and Kotkaniemi

I’m not huge on Tkachuk because I feel there’s more offensively skillful players available but at 7th Tkachuk would be a good pick. Kid will be a force in the playoffs. It looks like every prospect is picking up steam at the right time and he’s less talked about. He very well could be there. Still holding out hope for Boqvist and Hughes though.

If Wahlstrom really can play center I think we need to take him. Still not sold on us having a number one center considering Pettersson is being played as a winger almost everywhere he plays.

Unless Hughes is available, I'd take Wahlstrom over Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson.

Dahlen Wahlstrom Pettersson

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

We'd still have huge holes on D but that offense would be insane. It would be up to Benning to fill the holes on D in other creative ways.

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Both. Personally I hate the bantam draft. Basically they take any kid over 6’ at the age of 14.  

But I’m mostly talking about the NHL

Wouldn’t any kid who’s been passed over in the NHL draft be ineligible for NCAA hockey? Unless you were talking about Canadian college hockey- Usports or whatever they call it these days. 

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Wahlstrom really can play center I think we need to take him. Still not sold on us having a number one center considering Pettersson is being played as a winger almost everywhere he plays.

Unless Hughes is available, I'd take Wahlstrom over Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson.

Dahlen Wahlstrom Pettersson

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

We'd still have huge holes on D but that offense would insane. It would be up to Benning to fill the holes on D in other creative ways.

I was just searching for old video of Wahlstrom. I’m thinking maybe we should draft him because at friggin 9 years old he could do this:

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I have Hughes at 4 and Wahlstrom at 5, so my preferences align with yours. If either are available at 7, they’re no brainers for me, with my preference being Hughes but Wahlstorm being my next favourite (obviously I’m ruling out the top-3 being available). 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes has to be our guy. His WC performance is showing me that he can quite possibly step into the NHL next season. 

He's actually quite stocky and he's showing that strength isn't going to an issue. His speed and skating will get him out of trouble and he can use his agility and assertiveness that he has to dodge hits. 

In the USA-CAN game there was this one instance where he outmuscled Horvat who had a breakaway and another where he completely manhandled Brady Schenn, stripped him off the puck and began to skate down the ice where he used the give and go which almost resulted in a breakaway for him

What I've mostly been impressed with is his confidence. He doesn't seem fazed at all, he's come into that tournament playing against NHL'ers and seasoned men from various leagues and he's fit just right in with them. 

If Hughes was 2 inches taller and maybe 5-10 more lbs heavier he would have challenged Dahlin for top defenseman in this draft, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Wouldn’t any kid who’s been passed over in the NHL draft be ineligible for NCAA hockey? Unless you were talking about Canadian college hockey- Usports or whatever they call it these days. 

No, what I'm saying is kids will less likely choose the CHL route as opposed to going to NCAA if they move the draft age to 20.

As a kid, if you choose the CHL, you will spend 2 years post high school graduation strictly pursuing an hockey career,  if you don't get draft and/or aren't able to continue with a hockey career, those years becomes wasted years.

Where if you choose the NCAA, you can still pursue a hockey career, but even if you don't get drafted, those 2 years go towards a degree.

The WHL has already been having issues with luring kids, you've been seeing a lot more kids head down the Junior A/BCHL route so they can jump right into NCAA post graduation.  

Archived