The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

50 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

They're not, it was discussed in another thread the other day. IIRC the same rules apply to them as everybody else but @Toews is the man to ask.

Yup that's right. What happened was that the article that came out that first broke the Vegas expansion stated all the stipulations which included Vegas having the lottery odds for the 3rd worst team for 3 (or 4 years I can't remember exactly). It was later debunked by Bill Daly. I think this probably started out as a proposal but I am guessing most teams were against something like this and rightfully so. 

16 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yup that's right. What happened was that the article that came out that first broke the Vegas expansion stated all the stipulations which included Vegas having the lottery odds for the 3rd worst team for 3 (or 4 years I can't remember exactly). It was later debunked by Bill Daly. I think this probably started out as a proposal but I am guessing most teams were against something like this and rightfully so. 

So they just get their regular draft pick from now On?

Good news if true.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Well if we finish last we will get the 5th pick this year with Vegas sneaking in there. 

Could happen.

lol oh god - could you imagine the bad luck it would take year after year to fall in the lotto that bad..

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Lotto picks aside, a Tkachuk - Horvat - Virtanen line would wreck the opposition.

it would... but I'm hoping Jim goes for another Euro kid that we can develop outside of the CHL system. 

This kid has a short highlight film every game against men. Always at least once or twice he dangles through 2-3 players and sets up a chance. It's absolutely ridiculous. With the effect Mathews has had in Toronto and our declining attendance/revenue, landing this kid would fix almost all our problems. He's absolutely insane. 

On 2017-10-20 at 8:04 AM, Toews said:

how ridiculous would that be. Vegas already has a jump start to their franchise than most other expansion teams. for them to get lottery picks on top of an already strong team is absurd. it's like the Orlando Magic all over again. LMAO. no thank you to that. 

21 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This kid has a short highlight film every game against men. Always at least once or twice he dangles through 2-3 players and sets up a chance. It's absolutely ridiculous. With the effect Mathews has had in Toronto and our declining attendance/revenue, landing this kid would fix almost all our problems. He's absolutely insane. 

with this being said. we ain't getting him. watch an American team land him. such is the luck of being a Canucks fan. 

This year will be a very exciting draft for us.  Regardless of who we take in the top 6 or 7 picks, they likely become one of our top 3 prospects.  My guess is that we take Boqvist or Zadina at 5.  We will then have a high second, along with any additional picks that Benning can get from flipping Hutton, Burmistrov, or Vanek.  In terms of adding these young guys to the roster, it should come in 3 waves:

2018:

Goldobin

Gaudette

2019:

Demko

Joulevi

Petterson

Dahlen

2020:

This year's first

Tryamkin

Lind

Gadjovich

Obvioulsy not all of these guys will make it, or they will make it with another team.  We also have a few wild cards that could surprise in: Chatfield, Lockwood, Palmu, Di Pietro and Brisebois, along with any future lower round picks.

2 or 3 more years after this one and the rebuild should  be mostly done, hopefully it yields a competitive team, and not another rebuild cycle. 

Chances are we won't win the lottery, hopefully Zadina falls to us but I seriously doubt it. Now that we have Chatfield there's no point of taking a chance on a defensemen with a high pick. Veleno is probably who we end up with, but Kotkaniemi might be worth looking at too. Of course the goal this draft should be to stockpile first round picks but I doubt that happens.

Another highly touted prospect from this draft is Swedish LW Isac Lundestrom. He was 15 years old when he debuted for his first SHL game way back in 2014/2015. Last season as a 16-17 year old he put up 6 points in 45 SHL games and this season so far he has 6 points in 12 games. He's listed quite low right now but I imagine after the WJ he might be a top 15 pick.

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

Another highly touted prospect from this draft is Swedish LW Isac Lundestrom. He was 15 years old when he debuted for his first SHL game way back in 2014/2015. Last season as a 16-17 year old he put up 6 points in 45 SHL games and this season so far he has 6 points in 12 games. He's listed quite low right now but I imagine after the WJ he might be a top 15 pick.

He played in the SHL when he was 15? 

That's pretty insane. 

Archived