The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I do to, he's not my first choice.

However if he's available that likely means my other top choices have already been taken. 

If he's the worst we end up doing, I'd consider us pretty lucky.

no argument here........if he's still thereat #7, it's likely that two of Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom or Tkachuk are there two.  So wide open, I love it 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they were anyway.  Size is the issue with Hughes.  Stetcher is an excellent dman, but he gets out muscled multiple times every game.  Size does matter fellas.

Stecher is a very solid skater, but his ability to move the puck is nowhere near that of Hughes.

Hughes will not have to worry about getting out-muscled as much because he's often first to the puck and moving it up the ice before the forechecker gets to him.

He reminds me of a young Brian Rafalski, which the Canucks could definitely use.

Looking at the amount of activity in this thread now compared to the start of the year is pretty funny. It felt like there were like 5 people posting in this thread regularly in October :lol:

I really like reading everyone's opinions though. Some people's lists look the exact opposite of mine and I can still see where they're coming from. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Stecher is a very solid skater, but his ability to move the puck is nowhere near that of Hughes.

Hughes will not have to worry about getting out-muscled as much because he's often first to the puck and moving it up the ice before the forechecker gets to him.

He reminds me of a young Brian Rafalski, which the Canucks could definitely use.

I see a lot of Duncan Keith in Hughes.  I don’t know if he’s got the mean streak like Keith does though. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see a lot of Duncan Keith in Hughes.  I don’t know if he’s got the mean streak like Keith does though. 

I'm scared Hughes is going to be the next Noah Hanifin. Great skater. Good puck skills but lack a shot and nothing more than a 30 point guy.  :/ I dont know enough about these guys to really gauge their future tho.  Boqvist if he is gonna be a good player I want him.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm scared Hughes is going to be the next Noah Hanifin. Great skater. Good puck skills but lack a shot and nothing more than a 30 point guy.  :/ I dont know enough about these guys to really gauge their future tho.  Boqvist if he is gonna be a good player I want him.

From what I understand, Boqvist has the highest ceiling, but the lowest floor.  I say draft the guy with the highest ceiling.  He gives us a chance at a Cup.  The other guys, who are more sure things, but likely not special in any way(like Boqvist could be) make us mediocre.  We don’t want to be mediocre, do we?

Trying to piece together some of the information here:

Montreal - At 3rd, the Canadiens have been connected to Kotkaniemi mostly as well as Dobson. Zadina himself said they're probably going to pass on a winger, so I think that means Kotkaniemi goes 3rd given their incredible lack of centers. He could possibly step into the NHL next year (I don't think that's what's best for him, but it's Montreal so who knows).

Ottawa - I think Ottawa is leaning towards Tkachuk here. He can play in the NHL next year and not need too much development. He'd be a nice piece to put with Brown or White as well. They could also easily take Zadina. 

Arizona - At 5th overall, I think Dobson goes to the Coyotes. They have a bunch of talent up front and he would compliment their group perfectly. I could also see Bouchard being an option for them, but I would guess that their preference is Dobson. 

Detroit - Based on earlier reports, I think it's fairly likely that Detroit takes one of Bouchard or Hughes, with Bouchard being the preference. However, most of those reports were before Zadina fell out of the consensus top-5. I think Detroit will take him if he's there. 

Vancouver - From there, it looks like we'll be choosing from Bouchard, Hughes or Boqvist. I think the Canucks would prefer the right handed player and I think Gradin pushes for Boqvist. He's the right handed powerplay defenseman that Benning has been quoted as wanting since last year. If not Boqvist, then probably Bouchard. 

1) Dahlin 

2) Svechnikov

3) Kotkaniemi

4) Tkachuk

5) Dobson

6) Zadina

7) Boqvist

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From what I understand, Boqvist has the highest ceiling, but the lowest floor.  I say draft the guy with the highest ceiling.  He gives us a chance at a Cup.  The other guys, who are more sure things, but likely not special in any way(like Boqvist could be) make us mediocre.  We don’t want to be mediocre, do we?

I've heard the lower end projections for Boqvist he would project to b like a Sami Vatanen. Definitely not a bad low-end projection.  The kid clearly has talent. It's whether he feels comfortable enough to use it with the limited time/space at the nhl level. he would probably follow a similar timeline to Juolevi.  2-3 years post draft. 

Bouchard would be possible in the lineup next year 

Hughes probably could play next year but is committed to his college for next year

Dobson is extremely raw, experts predict a 2-3 year timeline for him.

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trying to piece together some of the information here:

Montreal - At 3rd, the Canadiens have been connected to Kotkaniemi mostly as well as Dobson. Zadina himself said they're probably going to pass on a winger, so I think that means Kotkaniemi goes 3rd given their incredible lack of centers. He could possibly step into the NHL next year (I don't think that's what's best for him, but it's Montreal so who knows).

Ottawa - I think Ottawa is leaning towards Tkachuk here. He can play in the NHL next year and not need too much development. He'd be a nice piece to put with Brown or White as well. They could also easily take Zadina. 

Arizona - At 5th overall, I think Dobson goes to the Coyotes. They have a bunch of talent up front and he would compliment their group perfectly. I could also see Bouchard being an option for them, but I would guess that their preference is Dobson. 

Detroit - Based on earlier reports, I think it's fairly likely that Detroit takes one of Bouchard or Hughes, with Bouchard being the preference. However, most of those reports were before Zadina fell out of the consensus top-5. I think Detroit will take him if he's there. 

Vancouver - From there, it looks like we'll be choosing from Bouchard, Hughes or Boqvist. I think the Canucks would prefer the right handed player and I think Gradin pushes for Boqvist. He's the right handed powerplay defenseman that Benning has been quoted as wanting since last year. If not Boqvist, then probably Bouchard. 

1) Dahlin 

2) Svechnikov

3) Kotkaniemi

4) Tkachuk

5) Dobson

6) Zadina

7) Boqvist

My gosh, I had totally forgotten about Ottawa owning both these guys; I've just never seen them mentioned together. Please tell me this draft has some 3rd rounder named Owen Gray, and that there's an unsigned college FA eligible to be signed after next season by the name of Tucker Green... please? Ottawa needs something positive right now, let's find these guys and let them know!

Just now, Rush17 said:

@Alf will like this. I am in the process of holding a poll on twitter on the Boqvist front.  here it is.

I think its safe to say there is some interest in him lol. I posted a few pro boqvist tweets along with it. 

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We all had that dream and Dahlin won’t be around when we pick. 

But to keep that that dream alive, does JB offer Boeser, OJ and our 7th for Dahlin?  That would be what it would take at least. Anyone up for it?  

God no. 

29 minutes ago, Guile said:

My gosh, I had totally forgotten about Ottawa owning both these guys; I've just never seen them mentioned together. Please tell me this draft has some 3rd rounder named Owen Gray, and that there's an unsigned college FA eligible to be signed after next season by the name of Tucker Green... please? Ottawa needs something positive right now, let's find these guys and let them know!

Melnyk will just make whoever they draft in the 6th round legally change their name to Mr. Pink.

"...but why can't I be Mr. Purple?"

"You're not Mr. Purple, some guy on some other team is Mr. Purple, you're Mr. Pink, got it?"

We can’t really go wrong, this is a deep draft for the first 10-12 picks. The only guy I would be kind of disappointed in taking ranked in the top 10, would be Boqvist. Not that he’s a bad pick, I’d just prefer other players in the top 10. I have my heart set on Bouchard. He’s not the fastest player out there but he’s a big right D and has A++ hockey iq. We never take who I personally want though, so we are probably taking Boqvist. 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

How many played none in the first 2 seasons that they were eligible? 

sam constantino was on Elliots podcast last week and they all agreed that a 1st round pick (not just top 10) should be a top 6 forward/top4 D and they should be a full time NHLer by year three.  Anything less than that is a miss.

Archived