The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Listening to the Bobcast, and I just found out that Boqvist is dyslexic, and Merkley has attitude issues. How much weight would you guys put into such issues?

Dyslexia can be a blessing in that you can see/ perceive things in ways others can't, and come up with a creative solution. 

I highly doubt it will impact on ice performance in a negative manner 

Attitude issues are a blessing 0% of the time

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Listening to the Bobcast, and I just found out that Boqvist is dyslexic, and Merkley has attitude issues. How much weight would you guys put into such issues?

Don’t think Dyslexia is an issue.  Attitude problems will cause Merkley to fall.  Maybe with our second rounder if he’s there?  

45 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah Boqvist has struggled especially at higher levels of competition. Some believe this is due to substantially less minutes reducing his comfort and confidence.  

Some scouts believe Boqvist is better defensively then Hughes. Issue is Hughes always had the puck so he rarely gets to play defense. Apparently he's pretty weak there.

Hughes has maybe slightly better skating the Boqvist but his shot can't really compare.  I'm all in on Boqvist or Bouchard. If we get Dobson that's fine too. Hughes could be good but we got Tryamkin possibly returning. Probably shouldn't bank on it tho.

Ya man I have gone either way on the 2 all season. Boqvist is super young and having a growth spurt he's nearly 6' and he's 17 he could end up 6'1'/6'2" Hughes will never be 6'. And he will never possess the shot of Boqvist . However I haven't seen a D carry the puck like Hughes at his age ever. EVER!

I also thought Shinkaruk had the secret sauce too so.See the source image

6 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

this kid is 17?  he looks like he is 21 years old!!  kid looks like a hockey heavyweight though, would be happy if we nabbed him

Yeah, he is a full 10 months younger than Bouchard.  That means Boqvist is barely eligible for this draft and could have easily been a 2019 pick instead. I'm sure he'd be top 3 in that one.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Dmen that skate with the puck get caught out of position, especially in the NHL.  I'd rather have a dman that is positionally sound and is an elite passer, rather than a skater.  A good pass gets out of the zone much faster and much more effectively than a dman skating it out.

Thing is, Hughes always has options -- carry the puck out, pass it out, or ring it out.  Bouchard typically has only the latter two.  What Hughes does in 1-2 strides Dobson does in 2-3 and Bouchard does in 4-5.  Top speed-wise they are comparable, but the first few strides are a killer for a dman if he can't get moving quickly.  Even if Hughes is covered tightly he is 1-2 strides and a quick turn from losing his man and turning transition.  There are very VERY few dmen out there with that natural ability.

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

However I haven't seen a D carry the puck like Hughes at his age ever. EVER!

While some have dropped the B-Orr comparison (and rightly so), he's also very reminiscent of Coffey.  There were the allegations of him being a rover and getting caught, but watch what happens when they do.  In most cases, they catch up with the rush by the red line, similar to Jake who often even catches up to the puck carrier himself, or funny enough, even glides past them.

There are very good skaters then there are the sublime.  Bartkowski was a very good skater but once he crossed the red line his hockey IQ cratered and the show was over.  Quinn Hughes can not only carry the puck and gain the zone, not just know what to do with it, but can make not just good but great plays.  His shot is a relative muffin so who knows if it'll improve but he can control the ozone.  Tanev has been working on his shot every year but it still bounces off wet paper bags.  Hughes was the youngest college player yet finished with a higher PPG than Tkachuk.

There's no doubt he's a unique talent and could be boom or bust, but no more so than someone like Boqvist.  He may not even reach average size as a dman but his skating and hockey sense are not something that can be ignored or that won't make an impact at the next level.  Hughes, Dobson, or Wahlstrom are who I'd like to see us take, but it could well come down to how the Canucks found the interviews.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Boqvist interview at combine

newer interview:

Older interview

his English seems improved.

Man I hope we get this kid.  

Skates like Karlsson, wrist shot like Boeser, and wicked dangles.   

Hes almost 6’ now and one of the youngest in the draft.

#1 potential for sure.       

I really do think one of Hughes or Boqvist are there at 7... 

Either would be great for us. 

I don’t necessarily want to add to the narrative that we’re ‘small and weak’, but I’d take smart, skilled hockey over brute force in today’s NHL, and our current prospect pool is definitely geared for that.

Totally fine with Dobson and Bouchard too, I just think Hughes or Boqvist would be absolutely sick with Pettersson, Brock, and Olli on the PP. The creativity level would be absurd.

Jim wanted Makar last year. How is Boqvist any less proven going into the draft? Hughes is even further along in development. 

Leaving Wahlstrom on the board scares me though, he’s practically guaranteed a Jason Spezza career at minimum.

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I really do think one of Hughes or Boqvist are there at 7... 

Either would be great for us. 

I don’t necessarily want to add to the narrative that we’re ‘small and weak’, but I’d take smart, skilled hockey over brute force in today’s NHL, and our current prospect pool is definitely geared for that.

Totally fine with Dobson and Bouchard too, I just think Hughes or Boqvist would be absolutely sick with Pettersson, Brock, and Olli on the PP. The creativity level would be absurd.

Jim wanted Makar last year. How is Boqvist any less proven going into the draft? Hughes is even further along in development. 

Leaving Wahlstrom on the board scares me though, he’s practically guaranteed a Jason Spezza career at minimum.

I'm very intrigued with Boqvist. My list would be (Zadina if available) Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Hughes and then Bouchard. It's constantly evolving, but generally Boqvist has been at the top of my list for some time.

I'm curious to why you think Wahlstrom will carve out a Spezza career as this is the first I've heard someone make that comparison.

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

3 hours ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Dyslexia can be a blessing in that you can see/ perceive things in ways others can't, and come up with a creative solution. 

I highly doubt it will impact on ice performance in a negative manner 

Attitude issues are a blessing 0% of the time

Yeah I was also pretty fascinated to learn about the dyslexia and had some similar thoughts wondering if it translated to 'seeing the game' a unique way. fwiw his coach was asked about it after that came out a week or two back and he said it wasn't an issue from a coaching standpoint, although it did occasionally require creative ways of laying out set plays and systems.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thing is, Hughes always has options -- carry the puck out, pass it out, or ring it out.  Bouchard typically has only the latter two.  What Hughes does in 1-2 strides Dobson does in 2-3 and Bouchard does in 4-5.  Top speed-wise they are comparable, but the first few strides are a killer for a dman if he can't get moving quickly.  

YES. And we should know this, we watched Luca Sbisa for, what was it, 3 seasons? He would occasionally get going and jump into the rush and look like the long lost 3rd Sedin. But what happened more often? He would have time and space while the other team made a line change and still manage to get caught flat footed, trip on the puck, do a backflip, get scored on and somehow injure his d-partner in the process.

I'm not saying Bouchard is gonna be that level of tire fire because, well, again we all know, Sbisa is a special case, but just ... at 7th, we should be aiming higher. If MTL is really looking to take JK at 3, we are guaranteed to have at least one of 

Hughes 

Boqvist

Zadina

Tkachuck

on the board, with Dobson or Wahlstrom as consolation prizes.

True Game Breakers. 

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Zero, and a ton.

I don't think boqvist would be negatively effected by a learning disability and he is my number one choice this year at the draft. I have a minor form of dyslexia. It forces me to really understand a concept I'm trying to learn, because information doesn't process smoothly into my brain all the time. I can't just hear or read something once and run with it. It needs to be understood at a more fundamental level or it won't stick. Other people I have spoken to about learning disabilities have explained similar things to me. Just because somebody doesn't understand something quickly, doesn't mean they won't understand it thoroughly. (Though in my case it does make trying to proof read things I write a nightmare. My brain interrupts writing with what it wants to see, not always with what it actually reads)

Now on the other hand with Merkley.. being a little entitled primma donna doesn't seem to have any positives.. I would be very cautious drafting a player like him.

Someone did this last year, I think it was ForsbergTheGreat (apology if it was someone else). 

Name your top 3 wants, okay with, and do not want players for the 7th spot in this upcoming draft.

Want:

1. Hughes - Had Boqvist number one, but changed my mind these past few months after seeing him compete with NHL'er at the Worlds. Didn't look out of place amongst NHL competition and it look like he could play right away. Whether he does or not is debatable.

2. Veleno - I think he's pretty unappreciated, when it comes down to being in the top 10. I watched him on a regular basis ever since last year's Mem. Cup. He's not the flashiest player nor is he an elite goal scorer amongst the players around him, but this guy is a workhorse. Does whatever it takes to win a game. He's an elite distributor of the puck, something we need for the likes of Pettersson and Boeser on this team.

3. Boqvist - Had Bouchard in my top three, but with the emergence of Hughes. Someone had to be bumped off. I was very high on Veleno from the beginning. So I kind of need to stand my ground on him. Which means, Bouchard is the odd man out. 

Okay with:

1. Bouchard - Again, had him in my top 3 mid-season. Already played with Juolevi, so the chemistry should be there with him. His skating, is a non-issue. He could always work on being a better skater during the off-season. Hook him up with Horvat's skating coach and all should be good.

2. Farabee - Another player that I would consider should be in the same tier as the consensus top 10. Played with Wahlstrom and in my opinion he was consistently better than him. I would say he is probably in the  top 5 best skaters in the draft, along with Veleno. Like Veleno, he's a workhorse. Always applying pressure on the opponent to make a good play. 

3. Tkachuk - Doubt he falls this far down.

Do not want:

1. Wahlstrom - If you look pass his offensive skills, there's really nothing that impress me much about him. His compete level without the puck is pretty low. He'll throw a hit or two at times, but nothing really comes out of it. Doesn't really engage in puck battles either. He kind of reminds me of Dal Colle in his draft year. All the offensive tools , but if you look pass that.....there's really nothing much to like about him.

2. Kotkaniemi - Not sure why I don't want him. I just don't believe the hype around him because of the U-18. I know he had a stellar season before the U-18, but why wasn't he considered in the top 10 before that, despite putting great numbers in his regular season? He was always hoovering around 11-18, before the U-18. He's the flavour of the month, and I don't really like hopping on the bandwagon.  

3. Dobson - Another flavour of the month, although he was ranked in the top 10 for most part of the season. I just don't see any of his traits any better than what we already have in the system. I would say he's practically a right-handed Olli Juolevi. If I'm picking a defensemen in the top 10, I would want one with the highest ceiling. Dobson screams another safe bet, which we don't exactly need, despite being right-handed.

39 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Someone did this last year, I think it was ForsbergTheGreat (apology if it was someone else). 

Name your top 3 wants, okay with, and do not want players for the 7th spot in this upcoming draft.

Want:

1. Hughes - Had Boqvist number one, but changed my mind these past few months after seeing him compete with NHL'er at the Worlds. Didn't look out of place amongst NHL competition and it look like he could play right away. Whether he does or not is debatable.

2. Veleno - I think he's pretty unappreciated, when it comes down to being in the top 10. I watched him on a regular basis ever since  since last year's Mem. Cup. He's not the flashiest player nor is he an elite goal scorer amongst the players around him, but this guy is a workhorse. Does whatever it takes to win a game. He's an elite distributor of the puck, something we need for the likes of Pettersson and Boeser on this team.

3. Boqvist - Had Bouchard in my top three, but with the emergence of Hughes. Someone had to be bumped off. I was very high on Veleno from the beginning. So I kind of need to stand my ground on him. Which means, Bouchard is the odd man out. 

Okay with:

1. Bouchard - Again, had him in my top 3 mid-season. Already played with Juolevi, so the chemistry should be there with him. His skating, is a non-issue. He could always work on being a better skater during the off-season. Hook him up with Horvat's skating coach and all should be good.

2. Farabee - Another player that I would consider should be in the same tier as the consensus top 10. Played with Wahlstrom and in my opinion he was consistently better than him. I would say he is probably in the  top 5 best skaters in the draft, along with Veleno. Like Veleno, he's a workhorse. Always applying pressure on the opponent to make a good play. 

3. Tkachuk - Doubt he falls this far down.

Do not want:

1. Wahlstrom - If you look pass his offensive skills, there's really nothing that impress me much about him. His compete level without the puck is pretty low. He'll throw a hit or two at times, but nothing really comes out of it. Doesn't really engage in puck battles either. He kind of reminds me of Dal Colle in his draft year. All the offensive tools , but if you look pass that.....there's really nothing much to like about him.

2. Kotkaniemi - Not sure why I don't want him. I just don't believe the hype around him because of the U-18. I know he had a stellar season before the U-18, but why wasn't he considered in the top 10 before that, despite putting great numbers in his regular season? He was always hoovering around 11-18, before the U-18. He's the flavour of the month, and I don't really like hopping on the bandwagon.  

3. Dobson - Another flavour of the month, although he was ranked in the top 10 for most part of the season. I just don't see any of his traits any better than what we already have in the system. I would say he's practically a right-handed defensemen Olli Juolevi. If I'm picking a defensemen in the top 10, I would want one with the highest ceiling. Dobson screams another safe bet, which we don't exactly need, despite being right-handed.

I have a different view and this looks fun so I'll play!

WANT

1. Hughes - My favorite dman after Dahlin, slowly convinced me all year that he can be an NHL dman. League is all about transitioning the puck, breaking out of your zone quick, skating and puck retrieval. All Hughes strengths. He might not have a howitzer from the point but he will be our number 1 offensive d man we have always needed control the play, make things happen and get the puck to our star snipers: Boeser and Pettersson 

2. Wahlstrom - I think he's the second best forward in the draft with Zadina very close behind him. Just think he's the total offensive package and think he's going to be a star. 

3. Zadina - I've said it for months and it's nice to potentially be right about him sliding down team draft boards due to others rising. He could really be available at our pick and his skill set at LW would be very hard to pass on I am sure. 

OKAY WITH

1. Dobson - He's a safe pick IMO to be a top 4 NHL dman and is probably the best all around dman in the draft after Dahlin. He has the frame, the physical tools, the attitude, is a winner and is continually improving.. so there's lots to like. I know it's not the flashy toy pick, but if he's avaible and we take him I will understand because hes the lowest risk dman with top pairing potential of the second tier of dmen.

Tkachuk - he won me over over the course of the year similiar to Hughes. But for different reasons. He was very impressive at the world Jrs. Him and Zadina probably impressed me the most actually at the world Jrs. He's not a dman, and he's not going to ever be a 40 goal scorer like Wahlstrom and Zadina have the potential to be. But his complimentary toolbox with his intangibles and physical assets would look great with the kids we already have now. He would compliment both Pettersson and Horvat very well imo on the left side and give us lots of options, while adding more skill and toughness to our top 6.

3. Boqvist - he checks so many boxes of what we need most. He really does. A top future pairing of Juolevi-Boqvist, could be very exciting.

I will leave this one to our Swedish scouts, if he's there and we pass on him I'll be happy trusting their judgement, if we take him I'll be stoked because that means to me he's got a realistic shot and becoming a superstar dman and he will be worth every minute we wait for him.

Is almost draft eligible for next years draft, height and size not an issue at all by the time he's fully grown and ready for the NHL. He has the best point shot in the entire draft, great skater, great passer, great offensive IQ, he's going to have a really important year next year. Main thing with him would be patience if we picked him. But our future pp would be scary with Shots coming from: Boeser-Boqvist-Pettersson

HM: Kotkaniemi

DONT WANT

1. Bouchard - I'm just not convinced by him that he will be a top line blueliner in the NHL. If we pick him I'll accept it, get on board and hope his game translates, his low compete level and poor defensive play in Ohl was just due to being on a crap team and playing too many minutes. And of course that his skating wouldn't be an issue. 

2 - Kupari - i have zero interest in this player and do not think he will be an NHler of importance /impact

3 - Merkley - hope he's not there at 37 so we don't have to hear about passing on him. I think our team will stay away from players like merkley, and his defensive play will not cut it in the NHL so he has lots of developing and growing to do. I think there will be better options at 37 then him even if he's available. Unless he interviewed amazingly, and our scouts believe he will grow as a person and a player to a level that matches his skill level. 

But really there's so many players I like this draft - wish we had more picks!!!

Finally caught up in this thread! Lots of interesting discussion and information to read through

10 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'm scared Hughes is going to be the next Noah Hanifin. Great skater. Good puck skills but lack a shot and nothing more than a 30 point guy.  :/ I dont know enough about these guys to really gauge their future tho.  Boqvist if he is gonna be a good player I want him.

Hanifin is only 21 and is already a 30 point guy. He has #1 dman potential. Why would that be a bad thing? I also prefer to compare prospects to fully developed players.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Assuming Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina aren't options:

Want:

1. Hughes - I see him as a #1 dman, and his play at the World Championships convinced me that he won't bust

2. Boqvist - More bust potential than Hughes, but I think he's just too talented to pass up. I also see him as a #1 dman

3. Kotkaniemi - His production in Finland was decent compared to other Finns who are succeeding in the NHL right now, his production in the U18s was great, and he's a really well-rounded player who plays an important position 

Okay with:

1. Smith - The most underrated top prospect in this draft IMO. I see nothing wrong with him, his production is great and his style of play stands out to me as the style I like best

2. Tkachuk - Not the highest upside but every team wants a player like him

3. Dobson - The fact that he doesn't run his team's powerplay suggests that his offensive game is limited compared to the other top D prospects. But I like everything else about him.

Do not want:

1. Bouchard - If someone's going to bust, it's him. I just don't see his game translating.

2. Wahlstrom - I wouldn't actually hate picking him, but I think he's overrated. He doesn't play with intensity and I don't like his attitude

Archived