Zfetch

2018 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm with you Alfy Buddy. He's the passion pick for me. Id gladly Bouchard to if they feel he's better. I can trust Jim and crew know who's got better chance. I just hope they don't take the safe pick to be safe.  I am on the Boqvist hype train skill, skill, skill

Like you, I will 100% support JB’s pick.  He’s forgotten more about hockey than I know. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The red flag for me on Boqvist is he is a bit of a shrinking violet. Don't get me wrong I would throw my full support behind the pick if he is who we end up with there is so much to like. Hughes though smaller has more of the stuff you find in the basement when it's time to move, Boqvist tends to play hot potato when the pressure is on.  

Yeah Boqvist has struggled especially at higher levels of competition. Some believe this is due to substantially less minutes reducing his comfort and confidence.  

Some scouts believe Boqvist is better defensively then Hughes. Issue is Hughes always had the puck so he rarely gets to play defense. Apparently he's pretty weak there.

Hughes has maybe slightly better skating the Boqvist but his shot can't really compare.  I'm all in on Boqvist or Bouchard. If we get Dobson that's fine too. Hughes could be good but we got Tryamkin possibly returning. Probably shouldn't bank on it tho.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like you, I will 100% support JB’s pick.  He’s forgotten more about hockey than I know. 

eh?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Same lol.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

eh?

It’s a figure of speech.  JB knows a lot more about hockey than I do.  I will support his pick based on his knowledge.  

Just now, DontMessMe said:

I feel im a small minority that really really wants Wahlstrom 

I'd be pretty happy with him being taken by the Canucks, we need scoring and badly, same with offense minded dmen, but Wahlstrom is already passed Boeser development wise than when Boeser was in his draft year, (not now), and I don't want him going to Chicago or Edmonton.  I can just hear Shorty and Cheech calling, 'and Petterson passes the puck to Wahlstrom, back to Petterson, back to Wahlstrom, he shoots he scores!!!'

Just looking over at the Blackhawks HF boards, and they want Wahlstrom at 8 nooooooooooooo, put him with Schmaltz and Debrincat and that line will be deadly

Listening to the Bobcast, and I just found out that Boqvist is dyslexic, and Merkley has attitude issues. How much weight would you guys put into such issues?

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Listening to the Bobcast, and I just found out that Boqvist is dyslexic, and Merkley has attitude issues. How much weight would you guys put into such issues?

Don’t think Dyslexia is an issue.  Attitude problems will cause Merkley to fall.  Maybe with our second rounder if he’s there?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Boqvist interview at combine

newer interview:

Older interview

his English seems improved.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I feel im a small minority that really really wants Wahlstrom 

I'm with you. I can never say no to more high scoring forwards.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Boqvist interview at combine

newer interview:

Older interview

his English seems improved.

this kid is 17?  he looks like he is 21 years old!!  kid looks like a hockey heavyweight though, would be happy if we nabbed him

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah Boqvist has struggled especially at higher levels of competition. Some believe this is due to substantially less minutes reducing his comfort and confidence.  

Some scouts believe Boqvist is better defensively then Hughes. Issue is Hughes always had the puck so he rarely gets to play defense. Apparently he's pretty weak there.

Hughes has maybe slightly better skating the Boqvist but his shot can't really compare.  I'm all in on Boqvist or Bouchard. If we get Dobson that's fine too. Hughes could be good but we got Tryamkin possibly returning. Probably shouldn't bank on it tho.

Ya man I have gone either way on the 2 all season. Boqvist is super young and having a growth spurt he's nearly 6' and he's 17 he could end up 6'1'/6'2" Hughes will never be 6'. And he will never possess the shot of Boqvist . However I haven't seen a D carry the puck like Hughes at his age ever. EVER!

I also thought Shinkaruk had the secret sauce too so.See the source image

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

this kid is 17?  he looks like he is 21 years old!!  kid looks like a hockey heavyweight though, would be happy if we nabbed him

Yeah, he is a full 10 months younger than Bouchard.  That means Boqvist is barely eligible for this draft and could have easily been a 2019 pick instead. I'm sure he'd be top 3 in that one.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Dmen that skate with the puck get caught out of position, especially in the NHL.  I'd rather have a dman that is positionally sound and is an elite passer, rather than a skater.  A good pass gets out of the zone much faster and much more effectively than a dman skating it out.

Thing is, Hughes always has options -- carry the puck out, pass it out, or ring it out.  Bouchard typically has only the latter two.  What Hughes does in 1-2 strides Dobson does in 2-3 and Bouchard does in 4-5.  Top speed-wise they are comparable, but the first few strides are a killer for a dman if he can't get moving quickly.  Even if Hughes is covered tightly he is 1-2 strides and a quick turn from losing his man and turning transition.  There are very VERY few dmen out there with that natural ability.

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

However I haven't seen a D carry the puck like Hughes at his age ever. EVER!

While some have dropped the B-Orr comparison (and rightly so), he's also very reminiscent of Coffey.  There were the allegations of him being a rover and getting caught, but watch what happens when they do.  In most cases, they catch up with the rush by the red line, similar to Jake who often even catches up to the puck carrier himself, or funny enough, even glides past them.

There are very good skaters then there are the sublime.  Bartkowski was a very good skater but once he crossed the red line his hockey IQ cratered and the show was over.  Quinn Hughes can not only carry the puck and gain the zone, not just know what to do with it, but can make not just good but great plays.  His shot is a relative muffin so who knows if it'll improve but he can control the ozone.  Tanev has been working on his shot every year but it still bounces off wet paper bags.  Hughes was the youngest college player yet finished with a higher PPG than Tkachuk.

There's no doubt he's a unique talent and could be boom or bust, but no more so than someone like Boqvist.  He may not even reach average size as a dman but his skating and hockey sense are not something that can be ignored or that won't make an impact at the next level.  Hughes, Dobson, or Wahlstrom are who I'd like to see us take, but it could well come down to how the Canucks found the interviews.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

ok I just learned Boqvist has had 2 concussions this season alone... oh boy

Bouchard has a hell of a shot eh?

Lol.  Why cant it be Friday already? this wait is killing me.