The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah Boqvist has struggled especially at higher levels of competition. Some believe this is due to substantially less minutes reducing his comfort and confidence.  

Some scouts believe Boqvist is better defensively then Hughes. Issue is Hughes always had the puck so he rarely gets to play defense. Apparently he's pretty weak there.

Hughes has maybe slightly better skating the Boqvist but his shot can't really compare.  I'm all in on Boqvist or Bouchard. If we get Dobson that's fine too. Hughes could be good but we got Tryamkin possibly returning. Probably shouldn't bank on it tho.

My own personal list?

Zadina in the unlikely event he is available. But;

Boqvist

Dobson

Hughes

Wahlstrom

Bouchard

I'm hoping we don't have the dilemma of picking Tkachuk? I hated his dad. But he would be in the mix.

A few posters are wary of Boqvist because of a 2 concussion history.

Can anyone supply a link to the 2nd concussion ? I recall Boqvist being sent to the 'quiet room', but am totally unaware of the outcome of that situation. Maybe I missed something. Have people jumped to an incorrect conclusion ?

Dobson Hughes Kotkanieme Wahlstrom Tkachuk Zadina Bouchard (no particular order) 

That's 7 players that I would personally love to draft and wouldn't have a problem with any of them. Picking at #7, after Dahlin and svech are gone, at least 3/7 will be available for us to choose from! I can't wait til Friday!! 

Imagine if tkachuk somehow falls to the oilers... he’d inmediatly be put on McDavids left wing and would basically be a smarter, faster version of Maroon but with nicer hands. 

Battle of Alberta would be fun but the Canucks would get beaten up by both those teams for the next 15 years

According to Judd Bracket the Canucks are rating players in terms of:  in order,

1. player type
  2. future potential (upside)
  3. hockey sense
  4. character/compete level
  5. skating
  6. skill

Benning has also said that he wants a PP Quarterback, Puck Mover

If Dobson and Bouchard are closest to this, does the upside sway Benning towards Dobson?

But does the upside factor also sway Benning towards Boqvist  who has a cannon of a shot and is more dynamic offensively.  I wonder what they are thinking about these offense only D men in the light of how they regarded Subban in the past.  Hughes would have the least information on defensive play but the best skater and a muffin of a shot.

I think we're looking at Bennings ranking of the D men as:

1. Dobson (6)
  2. Bouchard (7)
  3. Boqvist (10)
  4. Hughes (8)

According to McKenzie's latest list (brackets above), Dobson may be gone by 7 so Bouchard would be most likely

Top three and why. 

My choices are based on expected picks with Zadina, Svechnikov Tkachuk and Dahlin all being drafted already.  If any of those guys fall, then things change. 

I want 

1. Dobson. He is the second most complete d man available.  Has plenty of room to grow, possess great skating, shot and awareness.

The lastest knock on him is that he currently doesn’t run a PP, yet scored 17g and 69pts, played great in the Mem cup.  So to me his offence is as solid as they come, he is only 2 years into the CHL, I don’t expect the lack of PP to hinder him in anyway. Plus he can actually play defence, something in doubt of the other three guys in context.  

2. Kotkaniemi, getting Horvat 2.0 as a 17y/o who can come over as early as next year to the AHL can’t be overlooked. You can never have enough centres in your system.  He is already playing against men.  Horvat and Kot would be excellent centers to offset Pettersson and Gaudette. 

3.  Bouchard. Can’t overlook this guy and his offensive talent. Condsidered the best passer of the draft, play maker, great shot, IQ offensively.  Lacks defensive awareness not an uncommon thing in young offensive d

men.  Skating is the other weakness and yes this does need to be addressed. As for the lack of compete, I think this is a red herring.  No way DALE Hunter endorses a team Captian that doesn’t compete.  

HM Bomqvist and Hughes. 

We need top end d men more than anything. JB has earned my trust and if he has a choice of d

men and takes either of these excellent prospects, fine by me. 

As for other forwards, they are all great prospects, but the team

need should be fulfilled without having bypass the best player available. This is a deep draft year and if anything, add picks into the top 50 would be a good move IMO. 

The only DNW player for me is Farabee. He isn’t worth the top ten pick and his size is a draw back. Johnny Hockey was a free lotto ticket that paid off, expecting the same thing with Farabee is okay, but only if better blue chip guys are not available.

EmW

13 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Top three and why. 

My choices are based on expected picks with Zadina, Svechnikov Tkachuk and Dahlin all being drafted already.  If any of those guys fall, then things change. 

I want 

1. Dobson. He is the second most complete d man available.  Has plenty of room to grow, possess great skating, shot and awareness.

The lastest knock on him is that he currently doesn’t run a PP, yet scored 17g and 69pts, played great in the Mem cup.  So to me his offence is as solid as they come, he is only 2 years into the CHL, I don’t expect the lack of PP to hinder him in anyway. Plus he can actually play defence, something in doubt of the other three guys in context.  

2. Kotkaniemi, getting Horvat 2.0 as a 17y/o who can come over as early as next year to the AHL can’t be overlooked. You can never have enough centres in your system.  He is already playing against men.  Horvat and Kot would be excellent centers to offset Pettersson and Gaudette. 

3.  Bouchard. Can’t overlook this guy and his offensive talent. Condsidered the best passer of the draft, play maker, great shot, IQ offensively.  Lacks defensive awareness not an uncommon thing in young offensive d

men.  Skating is the other weakness and yes this does need to be addressed. As for the lack of compete, I think this is a red herring.  No way DALE Hunter endorses a team Captian that doesn’t compete.  

HM Bomqvist and Hughes. 

We need top end d men more than anything. JB has earned my trust and if he has a choice of d

men and takes either of these excellent prospects, fine by me. 

As for other forwards, they are all great prospects, but the team

need should be fulfilled without having bypass the best player available. This is a deep draft year and if anything, add picks into the top 50 would be a good move IMO. 

The only DNW player for me is Farabee. He isn’t worth the top ten pick and his size is a draw back. Johnny Hockey was a free lotto ticket that paid off, expecting the same thing with Farabee is okay, but only if better blue chip guys are not available.

EmW

It's not BoMqvist.  There is no M in his name.  It's Boqvist.  I see that you always spell it wrong.  It's his name and deserves to be spelled correctly.

Top 3 assuming Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are gone

Want

Quinn Hughes: Best skater in the draft and brings us exactly what our team is lacking. Also when we finally win the lottery next year we'll have the Hughes brothers to lead us to a cup.

Oliver Wahlstrom: Best shooter in the draft, I see him as likely being the BPA when we pick (my opinion)

Noah Dobson: Curious to see if people have him rated as highly as Bob Mckenzie suggests. If he's available I think he's likely our smartest pick

Okay with

Jesperi Kotkaniemi: I wouldn't have any problem with this pick in all fairness, just not excited about learning how to pronounce his last name. Beyond that I think drafting this guy would suggest that the front office does not see Pettersson as a center moving forward.

Brady Tkachuk: Size and skill, although this pick does make me nervous due to his lack of production. I think he is a solid pick that will play in the middle 6 and provide some toughness to the lineup. People say that isn't relevant in todays NHL should look at what Ryan Reaves and Tom Wilson just did in the playoffs. (Also want to see him in the same division as his brother)

Ty Smith: This pick would be off the board and would likely upset a few people. I just couldn't honestly convince myself that I want Bouchard more than this guy. Big time character player, will likely end up captaining team Canada in the Juniors in the next couple years.

Do not want

Evan Bouchard: If it happens that we end up drafting this guy I'll be able to live with it. If he sorts out his skating issues he could be an elite player in the NHL. I just don't know if he's the kind of person with the drive to fix those issues (not that I have ever met or actually know anything about him).

Adam Boqvist: Having this kid on this part of the list says a lot about this draft. His upside is undeniable, I just feel like there are better picks available at this spot. He played against low level competition this year and couldn't manage to stay in the Allsvenskan. If the only excuse is his youth (1 month younger than Kotkaniemi) then I would prefer to go a different direction with our pick.

2 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Imagine if tkachuk somehow falls to the oilers... he’d inmediatly be put on McDavids left wing and would basically be a smarter, faster version of Maroon but with nicer hands. 

Battle of Alberta would be fun but the Canucks would get beaten up by both those teams for the next 15 years

Tkachuk is going top five for sure.  Zadina will be the one who falls. 

Rank
[Mid]
Player Pos. Primary Team ISS McKenzie Button HP FC THN
1 [1] Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL) 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 [2] Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie (OHL) 2 2 2 2 2 2
3 [4] Filip Zadina LW Halifax (QMJHL) 3 4 3 4 3 4
4 [3] Brady Tkachuk C Boston University (NCAA) 4 3 4 3 4 3
5 [7] Quinn Hughes D U of Michigan (NCAA) 7 8 6 9 6 6
6 [6] Oliver Wahlstrom C U.S. National Dev. (USHL) 5 9 10 7 5 8
7 [9] Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL) 8 6 8 5 10 9
8 [8] Evan Bouchard D London (OHL) 6 7 9 10 8 7
9 [5] Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF (SuperElit) 9 10 12 11 7 5
10 [19] Jesperi Kotkaniemi C Assat (SM-Liiga) 16 5 5 8 13 18

The hockey writers just posted a consensus of list using six of the top scouting services 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-draft-final-consensus-rankings/

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:
Rank
[Mid]
Player Pos. Primary Team ISS McKenzie Button HP FC THN
1 [1] Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL) 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 [2] Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie (OHL) 2 2 2 2 2 2
3 [4] Filip Zadina LW Halifax (QMJHL) 3 4 3 4 3 4
4 [3] Brady Tkachuk C Boston University (NCAA) 4 3 4 3 4 3
5 [7] Quinn Hughes D U of Michigan (NCAA) 7 8 6 9 6 6
6 [6] Oliver Wahlstrom C U.S. National Dev. (USHL) 5 9 10 7 5 8
7 [9] Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL) 8 6 8 5 10 9
8 [8] Evan Bouchard D London (OHL) 6 7 9 10 8 7
9 [5] Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF (SuperElit) 9 10 12 11 7 5
10 [19] Jesperi Kotkaniemi C Assat (SM-Liiga) 16 5 5 8 13 18

The hockey writers just posted a consensus of list using six of the top scouting services 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-draft-final-consensus-rankings/

That looks right...it gives us Dobson or Bouchard or maybe Wahlstrom...all would be great...!

Just speculating here, but based on the little quotes I've heard from Benning, I think he ranks the D who could be available at #7 as:

#1 Dobson

#2 Hughes

#3 Bouchard

#4 Boqvist

I think he will pick whichever is still available, based on that order.

I could also be completely wrong, but I think he's really high on Dobson.

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

TSN just did a mock draft ....

...we ended up with Boqvist .....even though all 3 of my favourites were still on the board...Dobson, Wahlstrom and Bouchard

If we end up with Boqvist...you can count on him having 3rd concussion ...probably stepping up to the draft podium...with our luck....

I accept Boqvist has the lowest floor (bust potential, like Timothy Liljegrin) of these guys, but he also has the highest ceiling.  

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

If Dobson is there at #7, I think he's a Canuck. However, Kotkaniemi would be an option, big center to play in the West. Only question I have is he quick enough?

My question:  is Dobson quick enough?  He's got slow feet.  I'm hoping he goes before our pick, so JB isn't tempted. 

Archived