The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

John Wiesbrod said that the Canucks were a team that are in a rebuild. They are starting to use that more and more. It's a shame they didn't start 4 years ago. Not just saying it but acting like it. Now we get to see if they will act like it this year.

Rebuild started at TDL of 2017.  I agree it should have started after the Calgary playoff loss.  

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think he'll be gone as well, I thing he's lower down on Bennings list because he's looking for really mobile skaters and wants to build team with as much speed as possible.

Only reason I think Boqvist is as low as I think he is, is questions about strength and concussions.

Yea, I think Benning is more of a high risk high reward guy. I think Bouchard jumped on a lot of teams lists when he had a 4 point game in the prospects game and showed that he can control a PP and make great passes against the best of players his age. He’ll be like Horvat, where skating was a major knock but their IQ alone and play making alone can make them very good NHL players. 

I think the top 2 picks are clear cut, then if a team needs a forward Zadina is the guy to get. Bouchard is probably the most likely guarantee a top 2/3 d-man beyond Dahlin. But other teams might go for the quicker play making D-men that have potential to be a 1/2 guy.

When I see Bouchard play he reminds me very much of Pietrangelo. If he works on skating he may be the guy team’s regret on passing in 3-5 years when he’s a 50+ point guy in the NHL.

Just now, cyoung said:

Thinking those are his rankings. 

Every time I see your posts, I wish we could draft the next Chris Pronger.  He would be perfect for us!  I just don’t see a guy, who even comes close to him in this draft.  And this is supposed to be a great draft for D too. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Every time I see your posts, I wish we could draft the next Chris Pronger.  He would be perfect for us!  I just don’t see a guy, who even comes close to him in this draft.  And this is supposed to be a great draft for D too. 

Ya, not many D like him now days. Tough to be that big and still be able to skate and control the pace of the game. Hedman reminds me of him in many ways. 

On June 16, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Guntrix,

I did not say that Buttons word is gospel, I just relayed his opinion and others that are or were NHL scouts. The pros that pick players at the draft seem to give Bouchard high ratings on most categories and believe his skating can be fixed. 

Your excellent review of the weak players Bouchard played with also highlight his season and his abilities considering he had no support. You make my point better than I did.  I have I watched Bouchards low lights and highlights.  

I do think his skating looks awkward. But I am not a skating coach, hockey coach or otherwise. So when pro hockey guys say that Bouchards skating is not an issue moving forward, that coaching AND development can really improve it, then I listen. 

Bouchard plays a lot of minutes with no support according to you.   Is it unreasonable to speculate that he dealt with fatigue and likely played thru injuries this season?

Looking forward to you reply.  

EmW

We're both looking at this from different sides of the coin. While you see this as Bouchard succeeding with little support, I see this as Bouchard getting the golden ticket to pad stats by playing roughly 30 minutes a game (with PP time) in the high-scoring OHL. It's almost impossible to not put up big numbers. Although it's no fault of his own, I'm sure many draft elegible defenders would pounce at the opportunity to slot into Bouchard's situation. 

It's nice to watch his low lights and highlights, but I believe it's much easier to form an opinion by watching some of his games in order to have a better understanding as to what people mean when they say that his skating is awkward, as well as his teammate and deployment situation. Regarding his health, sure, he probably endured some fatigue, although I'm not a fan of speculating about unconfirmed injuries as it gives players an excuse for certain shortcomings. And finally, of course it's a possibility that he improves his skating. All of these players that we're talking about also have the possibility of improving their weaknesses as we're ultimately talking about teenagers. At the end of the day, it's about who ends up being a better player down the line, and I think there are other candidates in our draft area with much higher ceilings. 

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

TSN just did a mock draft ....

...we ended up with Boqvist .....even though all 3 of my favourites were still on the board...Dobson, Wahlstrom and Bouchard

If we end up with Boqvist...you can count on him having 3rd concussion ...probably stepping up to the draft podium...with our luck....

If we take Boqvist when Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Bouchard are still available I won't be happy. Don't want the smaller D with previous concussions as stated before. However, I also know I don't get paid to know which is better...I just like to speculate :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, appleboy said:

John Wiesbrod said that the Canucks were a team that are in a rebuild. They are starting to use that more and more. It's a shame they didn't start 4 years ago. Not just saying it but acting like it. Now we get to see if they will act like it this year.

Accidental rebuilding lol

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rebuild started at TDL of 2017.  I agree it should have started after the Calgary playoff loss.  

How many teams start a rebuild after losing in the playoffs that season? Usually it takes at least a couple of seasons of missing out on the playoffs before management even admit to the possibility. Given the age of the twins (33) at the start of the 2014/15, it wasn't unreasonable for management to try to make the playoffs again that season. But they were trying a "retool", and a first big step was to try and reduce that bunch of NTC's and NMC's. Regardless of when any rebuild starts, it was essential to move those NTC's and NMC's. Ken Holland once said that no GM wants to go into a "rebuild", per se, because they often take 10 years! And, given the life span of GM's with any team, usually they do not get to see the results of their efforts. And, of course, for owners, that usually means reduced revenues! Heaven forbid. The question then becomes, will Linden/ Benning be around when this team starts to contend again?

3 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

My wish list is always BPA, no matter what.

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Zadina

Wahlstrom

Hughes

Tkachuk

Kotkaniemi

Dobson

Bouchard

Boqvist

Friday is going to be fun!

To be fair, the Canucks and I'm sure every team will and should be drafting BPA according to their scouting. Everyone's BPA could be different so what might seem like a reach to some could be the BPA for that team. Just have to hope the Canucks get their list right.

Thinking OTT will give COL their 1st (#4) this year, as opposed to next year. They owe COL a 1st rounder from the Duchene trade, I believe. I think they'll draft Zadina. Would be a nice one-two punch with Landeskog and Zadina at LW).

Assuming Dahlin, Svech, and Zadina are gone, I'm hoping for:

1. Tkachuk (Canucks need a #1LW and Tkachuk brings a skillset they need IMO. Would be a good winger on Pettersson's line one day, maybe with Jake on the other wing?)

2. Hughes (He would be the perfect puck moving D, who would run the PP. Only issue for me is the Canucks need more right-shot Ds)

3. Dobson (Has size, good shot, skates well, smart, and safe. And he's a right-shot D, who would probably pair with Juolevi for years)

4. Boqvist (Honourable mention. He could be great one day, but that could take years to find out. A bit risky, but maybe it would be worth it?)

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He has said PP QB, puck mover.  I like how you lean to Dobson based on upside though?

Acadia B did not use him to QB their power play, true? But, like Shea Weber, or Seabrook, he's still an absolute weapon based on his shot.

I personally equate him to a much more nimble Alex Edler. He has the shot, but also, which Alex, nor Shea, has the ability to step around forwards as they press the point. He's pretty good with the puck & also has very good agility. With which steps into the slot to create better shooting & passing positions instead of just unloading from the point. My point is, he is still very dangerous on the PP

And I would think he rates higher than Bouchard on upside. Based on athletic ability. Allthough that's debateable, just my take, with Bouchards superior passing & puck skills.  Player type, based on his defensive zone play. Compete level as displayed to date. I call hockey sense a draw, one is better offensively, the other defensively. Skating Dobson wins hands down. If you define skill as puck skills Bouchard wins hands down. But if you take in the ability to close out oncoming forwards, cut down angles, defensive stuff, again there are items Dobson has many items where he is more advanced. And both are elite at moving the puck, zone exits, entries, joining and productivity on the rush.

I, just my opinion, still rate Dobson higher than Bouchard on an aggregate of these items. And there have been reports the Canucks are very high on Dobson.

But I do specifically rate Boqvist even higher, and even more specifically based on upside.

:P You sure like Bomqvist

Its like Don Cherry always found something cute about Bieska?  He said it was his fists, but I reckon it was something else... :lol:

If I'm understanding Brackett's comments properly, he has future upside as the most important consideration.  Next IQ, character, skating and last skills.  Not sure if I was clear on this.  I think the rationale being that the the higher priority considerations are less teachable.  This was the point that I wanted to make.

I tried to extrapolate and predict Bennings likely draft choice. 

Want:

Dobson - McKenzie said scouts think we've seen only the tip of the iceberg with Dobson and I agree completely. Could easily see him as a top pair all situations D in the NHL & we could use that. 

Kotkaniemi - Don't think he will be there for us and a defenseman makes alot more sense, but he's a really good offensive player with size. Kopitar/Barkov-lite are better style comps than Horvat 2.0 IMO. 

** Zadina - If he falls.

** Kravtsov - I really like this guy, he's very talented. Perhaps he could be the next 1st line Russian scoring winger. Not sure I would take him at #7 but if we were to pick up another pick in the 10-15 range. Also wouldn't be entirely surprised if he goes top 10. 

Would be fine with:  ('would be fine with' doesn't do justice, all would be good picks, but Dobson & Kotk are the D & F I like the most)

Hughes - The ceiling here is high. defensive play has been a concern but from the shift by shift's I saw, he's really smart all over the ice and he does know how to play defense. In the NHL, Size might hurt him in that regard but when you can skate like that and have those smarts its less a concern. At the least, I think he should be a good #2-3 puck moving OFD. 

Bouchard - I like Bouchard, skating doesn't worry me at all. Talk of his sometimes lacking effort defensively is the only concern for me. I love his ability in making plays with the puck. Offensive IQ, passing, & shot are top notch. If he's our pick I would be more than fine with that.

Tkachuk - He would be a fan favourite here. I think he's got definite top 6 upside. 1st line?? Not as sure. But he'll be able to make an impact for a long time for whichever team gets him. He would be a nice fit on the left side with Bo & Brock. (That thought almost makes me really want him) 

Dont want: (or Don't want as much*)

Wahlstrom - Not as sold on him as some. 1 dimensional. Not sure he's a center in the NHL either. Seems like more of a complementary player than a driver of the play. His shot is game breaking but that's only usable when he's in a shooting position. 

Boqvist - He's got a high ceiling if everything goes right but I think he's more of a 2nd pair guy than a 1st. He tries defensively but I find it hard seeing him as the guy going up against the top lines. No complaints offensively that's for sure. I think there's a solid chance he might be our guy too. Jim thinks as he gets stronger his defensive game will be fine, which is reassuring, but I'd hate to pass on Dobson to take him if it shakes down like that. (Might not) 

Ty Smith - Seems very unlikely we' take him in our range, but he seems pretty unspectacular to me. Thought he struggled at the U18 (from what I saw). Best case I think your getting a good/solid jack of all trades 2nd pair guy. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kotkaniemi - Don't think he will be there for us and a defenseman makes alot more sense, but he's a really good offensive player with size. Kopitar/Barkov-lite are better style comps than Horvat 2.0 IMO. 

Plus one for this comment.  Not sure he quite has Kopitar or Barkov's speed?  But he has their command for making plays, handling, distributing, shooting the puck.

32 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Plus one for this comment.  Not sure he quite has Kopitar or Barkov's speed?  But he has their command for making plays, handling, distributing, shooting the puck.

Yes! I absolutely 100% Agree! He's the full package offensively, he can score/make plays anywhere in the zone. Talking the far-out snipes or the greasy garbage. Really good playmaker/passer too. His straight ahead speed actually seems pretty good I think its other areas of his skating that could use some work. Wouldn't be a concern for me in the slightest. 

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking OTT will give COL their 1st (#4) this year, as opposed to next year. They owe COL a 1st rounder from the Duchene trade, I believe. I think they'll draft Zadina. Would be a nice one-two punch with Landeskog and Zadina at LW).

Assuming Dahlin, Svech, and Zadina are gone, I'm hoping for:

1. Tkachuk (Canucks need a #1LW and Tkachuk brings a skillset they need IMO. Would be a good winger on Pettersson's line one day, maybe with Jake on the other wing?)

2. Hughes (He would be the perfect puck moving D, who would run the PP. Only issue for me is the Canucks need more right-shot Ds)

3. Dobson (Has size, good shot, skates well, smart, and safe. And he's a right-shot D, who would probably pair with Juolevi for years)

4. Boqvist (Honourable mention. He could be great one day, but that could take years to find out. A bit risky, but maybe it would be worth it?)

No way Ottawa gives up that pick when they don't have to.

I like your list and reasoning though but I'm kind of hoping Tkachuk is gone. I think I would rather grab Wahlstrom if we're getting a winger. He can play both can't he?

I'm a little concerned that Tkachuk hasn't scored a ppg in any of his last 3 years, and has 4,12, and 8 goals repectively.

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wahlstrom - Not as sold on him as some. 1 dimensional. Not sure he's a center in the NHL either. Seems like more of a complementary player than a driver of the play. His shot is game breaking but that's only usable when he's in a shooting position. 

Boqvist - He's got a high ceiling if everything goes right but I think he's more of a 2nd pair guy than a 1st. He tries defensively but I find it hard seeing him as the guy going up against the top lines. No complaints offensively that's for sure. I think there's a solid chance he might be our guy too. Jim thinks as he gets stronger his defensive game will be fine, which is reassuring, but I'd hate to pass on Dobson to take him if it shakes down like that. (Might not) 

Not as high on these outlooks?

Benning is quoted as Boqvist will become a better defender as he gets stronger. Its also easier to teach the subtleties of D to a guy who has dexterity, close out speed, balance to turn with nimble forwards, few more nimble than he. The power to get to pucks. The puck skill when he gets to those pucks, agility to break away with it so we are not defending.  Then there is only one guy, Hughes, who can handle the puck like him. And another, Bouchard, who can shoot it like him. But neither can do both. He's an exciting prospect in my books.

My take on Wahlstrom is Voracek. Not bad either... 

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sounds like there's a real possibility we could be adding some high picks this weekend. Targets for the mid 1st could include Smith, Lundestrom, Kravstov, Veleno, Hayton, etc. 

Wow!! Cannot wait till the weekend to see what happens!!

Archived