The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

18 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

If they can pull a 1st rounder I think they would do it in a draft like this.

They likely realize a guy can’t mentor when he’s on crutches half the year and we have other players that can mentor OJ

If they can pull a high first. Top 15 then yes but even I am not for trading a solid D man for peanuts . There is no rush to move good players. Wait until trade deadline or just keep him. If our players have no value or not much value then its business as usual.

11th or 12th is too big a price for Tanev. If Benning could swing that trade I’d be very impressed. The Toronto package is probably the outcome. Toronto will push for this years first in any sort of deal. I’d make the trade if any of K’Andre Miller or Bokk or Kravtsov are there at 25.

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would be very surprised if Tanev was traded at the Draft. Pretty sure the Canucks intend for him to play with/mentor Juolevi. The offer would need to be outstanding, but I'm afraid Tanev won't get as much as some of us hope. Could Benning justify trading him for, say: a mid-late 2nd {2019}, a bottom 6 prospect who may not stick in the NHL and maybe another late (6th or 7th) pick? I know I wouldn't be too happy about that. Rather keep him. He has a lot more value to the development of Juolevi. 

Tanev's demeanour strike me as a guy who wouldn't be a good mentor. As in, his personality is too calm and robotic for being a mentor. Besides, we have Edler and Gudbranson who can be mentors for the guys on the backend. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Something about Kravstov that sticks out to me. Didn’t put up a whole lot of points but scouting reports say he’s highly skilled. Definitely an intriguing prospect. 

During his interview on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast, Teddy Purcell said Kravtsov was the young player that stood out to him the most in the KHL. Said he’s incredibly skilled. 

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Tanev is health next TDL we'll get a 1st for him from a contender, it would be great to have multiple 1st rounders for our draft hosting. 

Sounds like Jim has done all his due diligence on trades, but I won't be surprised if we don't move anyone. 

What if he’s hurt? If you’re getting a good offer on him now I’d take it. If Toronto is offering up the 25th+ I’d probably accept and end all this Tanev trade madness.

59 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

11th or 12th is too big a price for Tanev. If Benning could swing that trade I’d be very impressed. The Toronto package is probably the outcome. Toronto will push for this years first in any sort of deal. I’d make the trade if any of K’Andre Miller or Bokk or Kravtsov are there at 25.

Aw man, imagine Miller and whomever we take at 7 if a dman, that would leave us a pretty good top 3 for defence with Juolevi.....  Bokk has history with Petterson, and Kravstov has such upside

3 hours ago, 867-five-309 said:

No way Ottawa gives up that pick when they don't have to.

I could easily see them doing it, Next year they aren't going to get any better, they will likely be even worse than this year so they should be looking at another top 5 pick.   Add in the possibility of them winning the draft lottery and passing up on Jack Hughes.  They also have the 22nd overall this year so they still get a pick in the first round.

Karlsson likely isn't back so they might as well start piling up assets.  Move Karlsson, Stone and even consider taking on IR players (Horton/Hossa) to reach the cap floor without having to pay the salary

I was just looking at Craig Button's Mock Draft released today and he scores the prospects on various attributes.  Let's see how the top D rate on Judd Brackets template.  Remember, they are listed in order of importance.  Scores out of 5 (2.5 would be average)

Dobson    Bouchard     Hughes     Boqvist

Player type                          2-way       2-way        dynamic    dynamic

Future potential                    top 2         top 2           top 2         top 2

Hockey sense                        4.5            4.5              4.5             5

Compete*                               4                4                4.5           3.5                                          

skating                                    4               3.5                5            4.5

skill                                         4               4.5              3.5             5

(16.5)         (16.5)          (17.5)        (18)           unweighted total

defensive play**                     4.5              4                3.5             3

(21)           (20.5)           (21)           (21)          unweighted total

*  Button scores compete level while Brackett includes character

** Button includes this but Bracket does not

Keeping in mind that these are Button's scores and we have no idea how Benning would weight these characteristics

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I was just looking at Craig Button's Mock Draft released today and he scores the prospects on various attributes.  Let's see how the top D rate on Judd Brackets template.  Remember, they are listed in order of importance.  Scores out of 5 (2.5 would be average)

Dobson    Bouchard     Hughes     Boqvist

Player type                          2-way       2-way        dynamic    dynamic

Future potential                    top 2         top 2           top 2         top 2

Hockey sense                        4.5            4.5              4.5             5

Compete*                               4                4                4.5           3.5                                          

skating                                    4               3.5                5            4.5

skill                                         4               4.5              3.5             5

(16.5)         (16.5)          (17.5)        (18)           unweighted total

defensive play**                     4.5              4                3.5             3

(21)           (20.5)           (21)           (21)          unweighted total

*  Button scores compete level while Brackett includes character

** Button includes this but Bracket does not

Keeping in mind that these are Button's scores and we have no idea how Benning would weight these characteristics

Nice!!  How nice would it be to have a dynamic player on the back end...  If we end up with Boqvist, would alot of CDCers be pretty miffed?  almost a year younger, with elite skating and offence

12 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Nice!!  How nice would it be to have a dynamic player on the back end...  If we end up with Boqvist, would alot of CDCers be pretty miffed?  almost a year younger, with elite skating and offence

Concussions and another player we have to wait to see develop while other guys step in now.  I see him as a hard sell when Bouchard goes 3 spots later to the Oilers and steps into the NHL.  

All that supposes Button is right.  But I think he is at least close.  

4 hours ago, 867-five-309 said:

No way Ottawa gives up that pick when they don't have to.

I like your list and reasoning though but I'm kind of hoping Tkachuk is gone. I think I would rather grab Wahlstrom if we're getting a winger. He can play both can't he?

I'm a little concerned that Tkachuk hasn't scored a ppg in any of his last 3 years, and has 4,12, and 8 goals repectively.

I don't know Wahlstrom well.....only watched some highlights on YouTube.  I understand he's the best sniper out there but the highlights I watched he didn't look that fast and his passing looked really poor.  Is he better than what I saw or is he a guy who will struggle with the speed of the NHL? 

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

That’s terrible propsal alf , marky sucks 

At this point. I think I'd do something like Tanev + Markstrom for #12

Would be amazing to finish off the day with another guy like Hayton/Smith/Veleno/Wilde/Farabee

4 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Concussions and another player we have to wait to see develop while other guys step in now.  I see him as a hard sell when Bouchard goes 3 spots later to the Oilers and steps into the NHL.  

All that supposes Button is right.  But I think he is at least close.  

This is the one issue that I easily see from this draft....

however, if Boqvist in 3 years plays like Karlson, I think we all would scream with delight.

It was one of the reasons I thought Bouchard was high on JB's list. Not sure how long JB's shelf life is, but if we are still floating about in the bottom in 3 years, he may not be around to see the fruits of his labour.... It will indeed be extremely exciting. I also think the draft of either will show how much patience Owners have for a rebuild.

Very interesting indeed.... 

49 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Tanev is a first pairing D-man on most teams. He gets a good first rounder easy at the trade deadline, when teams remember what kind of players are needed in the playoffs.

Most? Let's not get ahead of yourself.

The only team I could see Tanev being a top pairing is Detroit. Then, they are teams like Vancouver, Calgary, New York, and maybe San Jose depending on if they use Burns as a forward, where he could play on the top pair, but shouldn't.

There is no way we are not taking a forward in the 1st round. I just see too much of a gamble in the likes of Dobson, Bouchard and Boqvist. (the first two lack real speed and the the third lacks power imo) If forwards like Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom or even Valeno become available to us I think Jimbo snaps one up and looks further down at Nils Lundqvist for his elite D.

"Arguably Lundqvist might have played better than Adam Boqvist, Adam Ginning, and Filip Johansson, and was a revelation." 

Hughes would be the only exception to the above but I doubt he falls to us. He reminds me a bit of of what we might have with Jack Rathbone in his speed, skating and lateral agility.

If he takes one of the D's mentioned I see him taking Jonatan Berggren in the 2nd round if he is still available.

"Undersized (5'-10"@183lbs) winger-center with quickness, hands, and an penchant for generating offense. The best player on the Swedish team in the recent World Under-18s, he creates lots of scoring looks shift after shift. A really good stickhandler with excellent lateral agility at high speed. He is a heavy traffic player who can turn a defender inside out, go wide and then cut in or simply keep backing him up. Gets separation with his carries and is willing to finish checks, or take a hit to make a play. Very fast when he gains possession in the corner on the attack. Displays a strong snap shot, and fast hands when setting up his linemates."

Some absolute crackers here and he is one of the youngest (coincidentally along with Lundqvist) in the draft. I would love for Jim to snap up both of them. No 48 and he doesn't seem that small to me.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

There is no way we are not taking a forward in the 1st round. I just see too much of a gamble in the likes of Dobson, Bouchard and Boqvist. (the first two lack real speed and the the third lacks power imo) If forwards like Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom or even Valeno become available to us I think Jimbo snaps one up and looks further down at Nils Lundqvist for his elite D.

While Bouchard has a reputation for being only an average skater relative to the NHL, Dobson's best asset is his skating.  Not just straight forward speed but more importantly to the D side of the game, his turns, edgework and explosiveness.  Yes, Boqvist is a truly elite skater and has a really good wrister. 

We may take a forward and if Zadina drops to 7 (which he won't) then yes, he needs to be picked. 

This draft really is intriguing, so many possibilities. 

Archived