The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What if he’s hurt? If you’re getting a good offer on him now I’d take it. If Toronto is offering up the 25th+ I’d probably accept and end all this Tanev trade madness.

I think the only madness is in the fan base, Jim seems cool as a cucumber over it. 

If there's the 25th and a defence prospect who has the potential to step into the league this year or maybe next on the table then yes thats probably time to do something, but just to trade him for trading's sake makes no sense.

People are all over the place on valuation too, in part because of this idea that there's pressure to move him, there really isn't. 

9 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Concussions and another player we have to wait to see develop while other guys step in now.  I see him as a hard sell when Bouchard goes 3 spots later to the Oilers and steps into the NHL.  

All that supposes Button is right.  But I think he is at least close.  

You are right.  The figures above are just an exercise.  I thought it would be fun to compile Button's ratings but they are in no way definitive.  Button is an actual scout who actually watches a lot of games.  But he is only 1 person and is located in Ontario so some players he sees more than others.  I do think his numbers are pretty good but we know that there is quite a variation amongst scouts.  The advantage (I guess) is that the ratings were all done by the same person.  They may be useful for comparison purposes.

Benning has said that he wanted a player who could be a power play quaterback.  Bouchard I think is the only one who has been in that specific role.  Does that add something to his score for Benning?

When I played contact sports, some players had a habit of putting themselves in harms way re concussions.  In the early 80's concussions were rare in local rugby.  One player who I grew up with however was forced to retire at age 19 (his first year playing in open men's leagues).  You have to wonder if Boqvist's record gives GM's pause.

21 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Would be a blessing by the Hockey Gods if Zadina fell all the way to our 7 spot. Only way that would happen is if Montreal reaches and takes Kotkaniemi at 3, Ottawa adds a defenseman in Dobson at 4, Arizona takes Tkachuk at 5, and Detroit takes Hughes or Wahlstrom at 6. A lot of ifs.

I'm starting to warm up on the idea of Kotkaniemi at 7 if he's available (but not before Dobson or Hughes). Horvat, Kotkaniemi, and Gaudette down the middle would give us crazy centre depth and a nightmare for other teams to matchup. That would allow Pettersson more free reign to generate offense on the wing. 

We do need a defenseman though...

100% agree.

There is so much to love about him:

- provided great leadership at the Czech's junior national Team at the WJC under 18

- first class character, great work ethic, tireless worker

- excellent compete level

- NHL frame already, skill, speed. some scouts/hockey analysts hold the view that he is a strong skater with great straight line speed

- natural goal scorer, he projects to be a 40+ goal scorer in his prime

- lethal shot, can score between the dots and from the top of the circles

Even though Wahlstrom might be the slightly better skater I would take Zadina ahead of him, because the Canucks need to fill the void at LW on the Top Line.

Wahlstrom is a right winger. Canucks are deep at RW. Hence, Wahlstrom would be a "nice to have", whereas Zadina as a LW is a "need to have". What really gives Zadina an edge over Wahlstrom is his attitude / character.

If he really falls to # 7 I am pretty sure that Canucks would choose him and not Wahlstrom. That's at least my projection. It will be interesting to see how things play out at draft day.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the only madness is in the fan base, Jim seems cool as a cucumber over it. 

If there's the 25th and a defence prospect who has the potential to step into the league this year or maybe next on the table then yes thats probably time to do something, but just to trade him for trading's sake makes no sense.

People are all over the place on valuation too, in part because of this idea that there's pressure to move him, there really isn't. 

Yes, the grass is not really always greener on the other side of the fence. It just looks that way to the myopic. Fortunately JB uses (metaphorical) binoculars.

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What if he’s hurt? If you’re getting a good offer on him now I’d take it. If Toronto is offering up the 25th+ I’d probably accept and end all this Tanev trade madness.

I agree. If they threw in a third or fourth I would say done.

Judd Bracket apparently said they value character and hockey sense the most, to me that means they probably have Bouchard high on their list. He has the highest Hockey IQ out of the four D men and great leadership traits/work ethic + great Canadian kid.  

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Judd Bracket apparently said they value character and hockey sense the most, to me that means they probably have Bouchard high on their list. He has the highest Hockey IQ out of the four D men and great leadership traits/work ethic + great Canadian kid.  

Ummm :wacko:

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I could easily see them doing it, Next year they aren't going to get any better, they will likely be even worse than this year so they should be looking at another top 5 pick.   Add in the possibility of them winning the draft lottery and passing up on Jack Hughes.  They also have the 22nd overall this year so they still get a pick in the first round.

Karlsson likely isn't back so they might as well start piling up assets.  Move Karlsson, Stone and even consider taking on IR players (Horton/Hossa) to reach the cap floor without having to pay the salary

I don't think any team plans on finishing dead last and would forfeit a fourth overall on the chance they win the lottery. That would be a horrible team attitude and pr move. Not only would you be admitting you were horrible you would also be symbolizing you have zero clue how to fix it nor are you going to try. I don't think any real GM would do that.

Benning said that they will take the projected BPA, not who could play in the NHL the soonest. If they feel Boqvist will become a better player in 5 years than Bouchard, then they have Boqvist ahead of Bouchard on their list. For the Canucks, it seems it's not about who's most ready, but who will have the biggest impact down the road. They are being patient with developing. We can all guess what that list looks like, I have my favourites, as most do.

1. Hughes - going to be a star

2. Tkachuk - Would instantly change the identity of the Canucks

3. Boqvist - A gamble, but could pay off huge

Safe picks: Bouchard, Dobson

So excited for the Draft in 2 days.

3 minutes ago, 867-five-309 said:

I don't think any team plans on finishing dead last and would forfeit a fourth overall on the chance they win the lottery. That would be a horrible team attitude and pr move. Not only would you be admitting you were horrible you would also be symbolizing you have zero clue how to fix it nor are you going to try. I don't think any real GM would do that.

I'm certain the players always try their hardest to win.  They are super competitive guys.  The management, however, could definitely make moves to limit their team's chances of winning.  I think the Leafs, the Sabre, the Penguins, and the Oilers were all examples of teams that tried this.  

Personally i think it'd be electric if Vancouver got 1st overall next year (assuming they are a bottom club) considering they are hosting the draft but i am sure they wont.

Wonder if Benning has got on the horn Montreal to see if they are interested in anyone. Be nice to grab a 2nd off them

Just now, 867-five-309 said:

No team plans on it but they have to be realistic. No Hoffman, likely no karlsson, they already moved brassard and dion out. There team has already been stripped and they don’t have any real replacements. It’s pretty safe to say they will be as bad if not worse next year. 

Even if karlsson is there his pending UFA status isn’t going to help the room out at all. Add in that they are a cap budget team and likely won’t be signing any help in UFA. Unless people expect rookies to step in and carry the team they are going to be a bottom feeder. 

From a smart planning perspective, they should be going full rebuild. Next years draft is a C top heavy draft with Hughes leading the charge with generational potential. That’s not a player you’d want to miss out on. 

This year they are in the 4th spot and it’s pretty clear to see there’s no real consensus between the 4-10 range. They’d be better off giving the pick to avs this year and moving out some of there remaining pieces now trying to recoups a top 10 pick. Even if they don’t they still have the 22nd this year. 

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

For what it’s worth. The TSN Mock draft has it playing out like this 

1 - Dahlin

2 - Svechnikov

3 - Kotkaniemi 

4 - Zadina

5 - Tkachuk 

6 - Hughes

7 - Boqvist 

I can see this happening, and I would be happy with this. Then we can spend the next 3-4 years discussing why Boqvist is taking so long to make the team lol  Actually, I don't mind waiting if he is progressing. I think it would be exciting having a prospect like Boqvist.  

I like Boqvist but I am not sure we have the time to wait for him to mature.

I keep coming back to Bouchard: PP QB, RHD, Offensive D, Minute-Muncher, Size, Leadership, IQ, etc.

Some rankings have him gone by #7 but...

Dahlin, Svchnikov, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina are almost assuredly gone, maybe Tkachuk too.

Teams picking #5 and #6 have many options, including Bouchard, but may not take him.

And if he's gone, Dobson may be available and we wouldn't have to wait too, too long for him either, maybe one year more than Bouchard.

Bouchard and Dobson will be becoming ready when Juolevi is reaching form and then we will have a prospective top pairing with size and talent on their natural sides.

The only way I want a forward is if Zadina somehow falls to us (or if JB picks one)!

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning said that they will take the projected BPA, not who could play in the NHL the soonest. If they feel Boqvist will become a better player in 5 years than Bouchard, then they have Boqvist ahead of Bouchard on their list. For the Canucks, it seems it's not about who's most ready, but who will have the biggest impact down the road. They are being patient with developing. We can all guess what that list looks like, I have my favourites, as most do.

1. Hughes - going to be a star

2. Tkachuk - Would instantly change the identity of the Canucks

3. Boqvist - A gamble, but could pay off huge

Safe picks: Bouchard, Dobson

So excited for the Draft in 2 days.

Looking forward to hearing Benning discussing the reasoning why he selected ( fill in the blanks): "Well we had our eyes on (fill in the blanks)  for quite some time now who we felt played well for (certain team). (First name) has all the right tools to be a real good player. He's very skilled, he has real good vision of the ice, nice hands." 

22 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looking forward to hearing Benning discussing the reasoning why he selected ( fill in the blanks): "Well we had our eyes on (fill in the blanks)  for quite some time now who we felt played well for (certain team). (First name) has all the right tools to be a real good player. He's very skilled, he has real good vision of the ice, nice hands." 

Often at this time of the year, there is a decent amount of interviews from Trevor and JB but I haven't seen any this week so far.  does anyone know if there is one coming up? 

The lastest mock draft at NHL.com have all three writers with Dahlin, Svech, Tkachuk, Zadina in top four, Then all three have Dobson going to Arizona and Hughes going to Detroit. Leaving us the choice between Boqvist or Bouchard. I think this is a very likely scenario if the Canadians dont take Jesperi.

I got a poll going on twitter. Feel free to chime in if you wish.

#Canucks fans... If the Canucks decide to add a future #1 D man at this draft.. would be you rather it be Adam Boqvist 7th overall or Erik Karlsson via trade?

1) Draft Adam Boqvist 7th OA (73%)

2) Trade for Erik Karlsson (27%)

Vote count so far: 15. Thought I'd share since that Karlsson thread to van is going again. Cheers

Archived