Zfetch

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Personally i think it'd be electric if Vancouver got 1st overall next year (assuming they are a bottom club) considering they are hosting the draft but i am sure they wont.

Wonder if Benning has got on the horn Montreal to see if they are interested in anyone. Be nice to grab a 2nd off them

Just now, 867-five-309 said:

I don't think any team plans on finishing dead last and would forfeit a fourth overall on the chance they win the lottery. That would be a horrible team attitude and pr move. Not only would you be admitting you were horrible you would also be symbolizing you have zero clue how to fix it nor are you going to try. I don't think any real GM would do that.

No team plans on it but they have to be realistic. No Hoffman, likely no karlsson, they already moved brassard and dion out. There team has already been stripped and they don’t have any real replacements. It’s pretty safe to say they will be as bad if not worse next year. 

Even if karlsson is there his pending UFA status isn’t going to help the room out at all. Add in that they are a cap budget team and likely won’t be signing any help in UFA. Unless people expect rookies to step in and carry the team they are going to be a bottom feeder. 

From a smart planning perspective, they should be going full rebuild. Next years draft is a C top heavy draft with Hughes leading the charge with generational potential. That’s not a player you’d want to miss out on. 

This year they are in the 4th spot and it’s pretty clear to see there’s no real consensus between the 4-10 range. They’d be better off giving the pick to avs this year and moving out some of there remaining pieces now trying to recoups a top 10 pick. Even if they don’t they still have the 22nd this year. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

For what it’s worth. The TSN Mock draft has it playing out like this 

1 - Dahlin

2 - Svechnikov

3 - Kotkaniemi 

4 - Zadina

5 - Tkachuk 

6 - Hughes

7 - Boqvist 

I can see this happening, and I would be happy with this. Then we can spend the next 3-4 years discussing why Boqvist is taking so long to make the team lol  Actually, I don't mind waiting if he is progressing. I think it would be exciting having a prospect like Boqvist.  

I like Boqvist but I am not sure we have the time to wait for him to mature.

I keep coming back to Bouchard: PP QB, RHD, Offensive D, Minute-Muncher, Size, Leadership, IQ, etc.

Some rankings have him gone by #7 but...

Dahlin, Svchnikov, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina are almost assuredly gone, maybe Tkachuk too.

Teams picking #5 and #6 have many options, including Bouchard, but may not take him.

And if he's gone, Dobson may be available and we wouldn't have to wait too, too long for him either, maybe one year more than Bouchard.

Bouchard and Dobson will be becoming ready when Juolevi is reaching form and then we will have a prospective top pairing with size and talent on their natural sides.

The only way I want a forward is if Zadina somehow falls to us (or if JB picks one)!

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning said that they will take the projected BPA, not who could play in the NHL the soonest. If they feel Boqvist will become a better player in 5 years than Bouchard, then they have Boqvist ahead of Bouchard on their list. For the Canucks, it seems it's not about who's most ready, but who will have the biggest impact down the road. They are being patient with developing. We can all guess what that list looks like, I have my favourites, as most do.

1. Hughes - going to be a star

2. Tkachuk - Would instantly change the identity of the Canucks

3. Boqvist - A gamble, but could pay off huge

Safe picks: Bouchard, Dobson

So excited for the Draft in 2 days.

Looking forward to hearing Benning discussing the reasoning why he selected ( fill in the blanks): "Well we had our eyes on (fill in the blanks)  for quite some time now who we felt played well for (certain team). (First name) has all the right tools to be a real good player. He's very skilled, he has real good vision of the ice, nice hands." 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looking forward to hearing Benning discussing the reasoning why he selected ( fill in the blanks): "Well we had our eyes on (fill in the blanks)  for quite some time now who we felt played well for (certain team). (First name) has all the right tools to be a real good player. He's very skilled, he has real good vision of the ice, nice hands." 

Often at this time of the year, there is a decent amount of interviews from Trevor and JB but I haven't seen any this week so far.  does anyone know if there is one coming up? 

The lastest mock draft at NHL.com have all three writers with Dahlin, Svech, Tkachuk, Zadina in top four, Then all three have Dobson going to Arizona and Hughes going to Detroit. Leaving us the choice between Boqvist or Bouchard. I think this is a very likely scenario if the Canadians dont take Jesperi.

• Like 1

I got a poll going on twitter. Feel free to chime in if you wish.

#Canucks fans... If the Canucks decide to add a future #1 D man at this draft.. would be you rather it be Adam Boqvist 7th overall or Erik Karlsson via trade?

1) Draft Adam Boqvist 7th OA (73%)

2) Trade for Erik Karlsson (27%)

Vote count so far: 15. Thought I'd share since that Karlsson thread to van is going again. Cheers

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

After consideration for months I have determined my top 5 of players I want, which the Canucks may draft:

1- Zadina - i think 90% chance he's not available

2- Whalstrom - I think hes going to be a scorring machine and less risky than a D.  Vancouver still has many needs even though I admit D is the biggest need.  Him or Petterson can play centre and you have a playmeaker with a sniper.  Then you can add Boeser to that line or play Boeser with Bo.

3- Bouchard - I think he's ready and only going to get better cannon for a shot and can play big minutes.

4-Hughes - Not having a canon of a shot doesn't mean he can't be a top pairing guy and we can find another shot other than Boeser for our PP. 

5- Tkachuk - great all around game will be valuable and could play right away.  I don't see as much upside as those listed above.

Dobson - doesn't make the list because I don't see him as a top pairing guy maybe 3-4.

Boqvist- doesn't make the list because too risky.  He may be a top end guy but has too much developing to do and we can't miss.  Having an elite attribute or two (puck handling, shot) doesn't guarantee a great player.  look at Raymond-speed, Aucoin-shot. 

Edited by brian42

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The lastest mock draft at NHL.com have all three writers with Dahlin, Svech, Tkachuk, Zadina in top four, Then all three have Dobson going to Arizona and Hughes going to Detroit. Leaving us the choice between Boqvist or Bouchard. I think this is a very likely scenario if the Canadians dont take Jesperi.

i dont think kotkaniemi makes it past Montreal.  He's the second best fwd in the draft, imo.  I hope Dobson goes top 6 so the option isnt even there

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

After consideration for months I have determined my top 5 of players I want, which the Canucks may draft:

1- Zadina - i think 90% chance he's not available

2- Whalstrom - I think hes going to be a scorring machine and less risky than a D.  Vancouver still has many needs even though I admit D is the biggest need.  Him or Petterson can play centre and you have a playmeaker with a sniper.  Then you can add Boeser to that line or play Boeser with Bo.

3- Bouchard - I think he's ready and only going to get better cannon for a shot and can play big minutes.

4-Hughes - Not having a canon of a shot doesn't mean he can't be a top pairing guy and we can find another shot other than Boeser for our PP. 

5- Tkachuk - great all around game will be valuable and could play right away.  I don't see as much upside as those listed above.

Dobson - doesn't make the list because I don't see him as a top pairing guy maybe 3-4.

Boqvist- doesn't make the list because too risky.  He may be a top end guy but has too much developing to do and we can't miss.  Having an elite attribute or two (puck handling, shot) doesn't guarantee a great player.  look at Raymond-speed, Aucoin-shot. 

I think wahlstrom will be the fwd to slide.  Questionable compete level and doesn't drive the player.  A sniper is great, but there's more complete players for the top 7-8, imo

• Like 1

Trev is on 1040 at 4 pm I believe.

• Upvote 1

My draft hopefuls are based on the entertainment potential that they can bring. We haven't won a Stanley Cup in our entire history, nor would I count on one, so at the very least I want to be entertained by our team - and not in a Ruutu tripping Dion sort of way, but in competitiveness and skill. Therefore, the two guys I hope we have the chance at drafting are as follows:

1. Brady Tkachuk

I want Tkachuk to fall to us just for the entertainment factors alone. Having the Tkachuk brothers battle it out for the next decade would be awesome to watch. Beyond these though he brings a high level of compete to our top 6 that would complement our other players really well. We could very well see a line of Tkachuk - Pettersson - Eriksson as soon as next year. 

2. Quinn Hughes

His transitional game is something that Canucks haven't had in a long time. The last player to be even close to his ability to skate the puck up the ice was Christian Ehrhoff, and we have been missing that element from our defense ever since. Seeing Hughes control the play with the likes of Pettersson and Boeser would be a treat to watch. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I might feel a bit "blah" if they draft Dobson at #7. I don't know, something about him doesn't get me excited for the Canucks future. I would probably be more excited for Rathbone to make the team. I think Dobson will turn out to be a good D one day, but not a game changer or someone who puts you on the edge of your seat.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Like every year after his first lol

10 minutes ago, FS91 said:

I dont get when people say this. Why would we not have the time? Do we have some ageing 30+ vetrans that we need to win now with before our window closes? Last time I checked anyone who fit that descirption retired this past season. 

We need to take the player who will turn out to be the best in 5 years, not the one that is the best now.  

Only the best, for the best.

Thinking ahead - if we get the 1st overall pick NEXT year and draft Jack Hughes, how will we make room??

We'll have Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette already plugging holes up the middle of the ice!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Thinking ahead - if we get the 1st overall pick NEXT year and draft Jack Hughes, how will we make room??

We'll have Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette already plugging holes up the middle of the ice!

Cross that bridge when we come to it. Zero point taking that into consodwration now. If it happens it's a good problem to have. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

If by some miracle that happens I would push pettersson to wing horvat as 2C and gaudette as third . Or go with insane Center depth with petterson, hughes, horvat, gaudette. So filthy but no chance it happens we are the Canucks lol

• Upvote 1