The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

After consideration for months I have determined my top 5 of players I want, which the Canucks may draft:

1- Zadina - i think 90% chance he's not available

2- Whalstrom - I think hes going to be a scorring machine and less risky than a D.  Vancouver still has many needs even though I admit D is the biggest need.  Him or Petterson can play centre and you have a playmeaker with a sniper.  Then you can add Boeser to that line or play Boeser with Bo.

3- Bouchard - I think he's ready and only going to get better cannon for a shot and can play big minutes.

4-Hughes - Not having a canon of a shot doesn't mean he can't be a top pairing guy and we can find another shot other than Boeser for our PP. 

5- Tkachuk - great all around game will be valuable and could play right away.  I don't see as much upside as those listed above.

Dobson - doesn't make the list because I don't see him as a top pairing guy maybe 3-4.

Boqvist- doesn't make the list because too risky.  He may be a top end guy but has too much developing to do and we can't miss.  Having an elite attribute or two (puck handling, shot) doesn't guarantee a great player.  look at Raymond-speed, Aucoin-shot. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The lastest mock draft at NHL.com have all three writers with Dahlin, Svech, Tkachuk, Zadina in top four, Then all three have Dobson going to Arizona and Hughes going to Detroit. Leaving us the choice between Boqvist or Bouchard. I think this is a very likely scenario if the Canadians dont take Jesperi.

i dont think kotkaniemi makes it past Montreal.  He's the second best fwd in the draft, imo.  I hope Dobson goes top 6 so the option isnt even there

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

After consideration for months I have determined my top 5 of players I want, which the Canucks may draft:

1- Zadina - i think 90% chance he's not available

2- Whalstrom - I think hes going to be a scorring machine and less risky than a D.  Vancouver still has many needs even though I admit D is the biggest need.  Him or Petterson can play centre and you have a playmeaker with a sniper.  Then you can add Boeser to that line or play Boeser with Bo.

3- Bouchard - I think he's ready and only going to get better cannon for a shot and can play big minutes.

4-Hughes - Not having a canon of a shot doesn't mean he can't be a top pairing guy and we can find another shot other than Boeser for our PP. 

5- Tkachuk - great all around game will be valuable and could play right away.  I don't see as much upside as those listed above.

Dobson - doesn't make the list because I don't see him as a top pairing guy maybe 3-4.

Boqvist- doesn't make the list because too risky.  He may be a top end guy but has too much developing to do and we can't miss.  Having an elite attribute or two (puck handling, shot) doesn't guarantee a great player.  look at Raymond-speed, Aucoin-shot. 

I think wahlstrom will be the fwd to slide.  Questionable compete level and doesn't drive the player.  A sniper is great, but there's more complete players for the top 7-8, imo

My draft hopefuls are based on the entertainment potential that they can bring. We haven't won a Stanley Cup in our entire history, nor would I count on one, so at the very least I want to be entertained by our team - and not in a Ruutu tripping Dion sort of way, but in competitiveness and skill. Therefore, the two guys I hope we have the chance at drafting are as follows:

1. Brady Tkachuk

I want Tkachuk to fall to us just for the entertainment factors alone. Having the Tkachuk brothers battle it out for the next decade would be awesome to watch. Beyond these though he brings a high level of compete to our top 6 that would complement our other players really well. We could very well see a line of Tkachuk - Pettersson - Eriksson as soon as next year. 

2. Quinn Hughes

His transitional game is something that Canucks haven't had in a long time. The last player to be even close to his ability to skate the puck up the ice was Christian Ehrhoff, and we have been missing that element from our defense ever since. Seeing Hughes control the play with the likes of Pettersson and Boeser would be a treat to watch. 

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I like Boqvist but I am not sure we have the time to wait for him to mature.

I keep coming back to Bouchard: PP QB, RHD, Offensive D, Minute-Muncher, Size, Leadership, IQ, etc.

Some rankings have him gone by #7 but...

Dahlin, Svchnikov, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina are almost assuredly gone, maybe Tkachuk too.

Teams picking #5 and #6 have many options, including Bouchard, but may not take him.

And if he's gone, Dobson may be available and we wouldn't have to wait too, too long for him either, maybe one year more than Bouchard.

Bouchard and Dobson will be becoming ready when Juolevi is reaching form and then we will have a prospective top pairing with size and talent on their natural sides.

The only way I want a forward is if Zadina somehow falls to us (or if JB picks one)!

I dont get when people say this. Why would we not have the time? Do we have some ageing 30+ vetrans that we need to win now with before our window closes? Last time I checked anyone who fit that descirption retired this past season. 

We need to take the player who will turn out to be the best in 5 years, not the one that is the best now.  

I think I might feel a bit "blah" if they draft Dobson at #7. I don't know, something about him doesn't get me excited for the Canucks future. I would probably be more excited for Rathbone to make the team. I think Dobson will turn out to be a good D one day, but not a game changer or someone who puts you on the edge of your seat.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looking forward to hearing Benning discussing the reasoning why he selected ( fill in the blanks): "Well we had our eyes on (fill in the blanks)  for quite some time now who we felt played well for (certain team). (First name) has all the right tools to be a real good player. He's very skilled, he has real good vision of the ice, nice hands." 

Like every year after his first lol

10 minutes ago, FS91 said:

I dont get when people say this. Why would we not have the time? Do we have some ageing 30+ vetrans that we need to win now with before our window closes? Last time I checked anyone who fit that descirption retired this past season. 

We need to take the player who will turn out to be the best in 5 years, not the one that is the best now.  

Only the best, for the best.

28 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Thinking ahead - if we get the 1st overall pick NEXT year and draft Jack Hughes, how will we make room??

We'll have Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette already plugging holes up the middle of the ice!

Cross that bridge when we come to it. Zero point taking that into consodwration now. If it happens it's a good problem to have. 

27 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Thinking ahead - if we get the 1st overall pick NEXT year and draft Jack Hughes, how will we make room??

We'll have Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette already plugging holes up the middle of the ice!

If by some miracle that happens I would push pettersson to wing horvat as 2C and gaudette as third . Or go with insane Center depth with petterson, hughes, horvat, gaudette. So filthy but no chance it happens we are the Canucks lol

38 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I personally think Pettersson is more suited to winger in the first place. So really not that big of a deal in my opinion. 

Tkahcuk hughes boeser = a better version of Bert mo nazzy

and then if we follow that up with 

Pettersson horvat virtanen

Dahlen gaudette lind. 

yes please.  

51 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I've heard that due to his size and Kanesque style of play, that Jack Hughes is better suited as a winger as well

Last year around this time, I was thinking (hoping for) Vilardi, Glass or Makar. We ended up getting Pettersson. Never saw that coming.

This year I'm thinking Hughes, Tkachuk or Boqvist. I wonder who we'll actually get. Benning has surprised us with some 1st round picks over the last 4 years::

- Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers

- Juolevi over Tkachuk and Sergachev

- Pettersson over Glass and Vilardi.  

We may be getting a player some of us have not considered much. Smith, Hayton, Farabee or Veleno? What will JB do this time?

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I like Boqvist but I am not sure we have the time to wait for him to mature.

I keep coming back to Bouchard: PP QB, RHD, Offensive D, Minute-Muncher, Size, Leadership, IQ, etc.

Some rankings have him gone by #7 but...

Dahlin, Svchnikov, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina are almost assuredly gone, maybe Tkachuk too.

Teams picking #5 and #6 have many options, including Bouchard, but may not take him.

And if he's gone, Dobson may be available and we wouldn't have to wait too, too long for him either, maybe one year more than Bouchard.

Bouchard and Dobson will be becoming ready when Juolevi is reaching form and then we will have a prospective top pairing with size and talent on their natural sides.

The only way I want a forward is if Zadina somehow falls to us (or if JB picks one)!

We have nothing but time so I don't really agree. When Virtanen and Boeser are on their bridge contracts playing like stars in the league, Tryamkin comes back at a decent cap, Horvat is alrway locked up, juolevi, gaudette finishing their entry level deal, it would be the perfect time to introduce boqvist to the roster

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Islanders can score goals, but give up even more.  They could certainly use Tanev.  They also need a goalie too.

Tanev + Markstrom for picks 11 + 12?  

Tanev and Sutter for 11 and 12.

2 hours ago, FS91 said:

...Sounds good....so...who is that player...?

I tend to believe the 3rd best player taken in this draft could be any of the top 10 or so...even Dahlin and Svechnikov could stumble for some unforeseen reason.

That's why I am fine with whoever JB picks' but would put Boqvist at the bottom of the 4 D that might be available...but that's just me...

Archived