The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Thinking ahead - if we get the 1st overall pick NEXT year and draft Jack Hughes, how will we make room??

We'll have Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette already plugging holes up the middle of the ice!

This is a good problem to have. Top centers are very prized. As some have mentioned, we could bump Pettersson to wing, but on the other hand, we could also trade one for a top dman in the league. This is why I wouldn't mind Kotkaniemi being drafted by us and why Wahlstrom isn't even a target for me. The only wingers I'd consider in this draft is Svech or Zadina and maybe Tkachuk, but I'm hoping that he gets taken before our pick so we don't have to cross that bridge.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is a good problem to have. Top centers are very prized. As some have mentioned, we could bump Pettersson to wing, but on the other hand, we could also trade one for a top dman in the league. This is why I wouldn't mind Kotkaniemi being drafted by us and why Wahlstrom isn't even a target for me. The only wingers I'd consider in this draft is Svech or Zadina and maybe Tkachuk, but I'm hoping that he gets taken before our pick so we don't have to cross that bridge.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Wingers are fairly easy to come by, compared to a Top 6 C or top pairing D. Canucks have options though, a few of their wingers can play either side (Eriksson, Gagner, Virtanen, Pettersson, Goldobin, Granlund). Boeser owns one of those RW spots. I'd rather draft Kotkaniemi and use Pettersson on the wing, than drafting Wahlstrom.

I do like Tkachuk because of the type of player he is (big, gritty, imposing, fearless) and the Canucks desperately need a #1LW. Doubt he's still there at #7 though.

As for the D, my short list is: Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard

Got a feeling we're getting Boqvist

43 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Islander hang up unfortunately.

I am ok with that. Making trades is good but throwing solid cost effective players away for peanuts on the dollar is not wise. Tanev and Sutter are solid role players who both play big minutes and I think fans underestimate their value. They are both on good deals and are not easily replaced on the open market. Tanev gets injured because he plays big hard minutes for us. On a deeper club he would probably play 70 games a year. Sutter can play wing and center and is the type of player that coaches love. 

If the Ilanders want to push for the playoffs they need more depth and anyone drafted at 11th and 12th is 3 years away. 

On 2018-06-19 at 8:03 PM, appleboy said:

John Wiesbrod said that the Canucks were a team that are in a rebuild. They are starting to use that more and more. It's a shame they didn't start 4 years ago. Not just saying it but acting like it. Now we get to see if they will act like it this year.

Things don’t happen overnight and they have been doing fairly well until injuries hit.  The issue isn’t the injuries per say, but the utter lack of depth.  To have up and coming players hungry to earn spots.

In 4 years a lot of rebuilding has already occurred.

Pettersson and Boeser are the type of picks that can make you competitive a lot faster than your draft position dictates.  But the picks that will make us successful are the Linds, Dipeitros and yes OJ and Virtannen’s. 

There are other players that will also add a lot to team depth, be on entry level deals etc. Brock, Bo and Elias could easily supply enough first line talent to support the secondary players. One good d man could be the difference maker in one to two years. Winning Dahlin could have sped this up, but there are three to four guys available that could provide similar impacts provided the secondary players 

Trymakin coming back would be huge.  He could anchor a pairing with a higher profile d man. We know he has NHL ability, size and mobility and likely wants to be sure that his fitness is never questioned again. The guy has pride, maybe too much, but his rep is very important to him.

One or two more d men making good on their development could put us onto the right track and it would look to the casual observers that this was an overnight success. 

Yet the moves that happened four years ago will be paying dividends in one to two more years if you follow the threads back. 

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Things don’t happen overnight and they have been doing fairly well until injuries hit.  The issue isn’t the injuries per say, but the utter lack of depth to have up

and coming players hungry to earn spots. In 4 years a lot of rebuilding has already occurred.

Pettersson and Boeser are the type of picks that can make you competitive a lot faster than your draft position dictates.  But the picks that will make us successful are the Linds, Dipeitros and yes OJ and Virtannen’s. 

There are other players that will also add a lot to team depth, be on entry level deals etc. Brock, Bo and Elias could easily supply enough first line talent to support the secondary players. One good d man could be the difference maker in one to two years. Winning Dahlin could have sped this up, but there are three to four guys available that could provide similar impacts provided the secondary players 

Trymakin coming back would be huge. We know he has NHL ability, size and mobility and likely wants to be sure that his fitness is never questioned again. The guy has pride, maybe too much, but his rep is very important to him. One or two more d men making good on their development could put us onto the right track and it would look to the casual observers that this was an overnight success. 

Yet the moves that happened four years ago will be paying dividends in one to two more years if you follow the threads back. 

What moves. Signing an old top end goal tender that made us look better then we were and hurt our draft position.  Trade picks for other peoples left overs. Sign LE. Trading for Guddy. Benning and company do one thing well. Draft.

When their not at the draft table they struggle.

52 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...Sounds good....so...who is that player...?

I tend to believe the 3rd best player taken in this draft could be any of the top 10 or so...even Dahlin and Svechnikov could stumble for some unforeseen reason.

That's why I am fine with whoever JB picks' but would put Boqvist at the bottom of the 4 D that might be available...but that's just me...

No idea to be honest, I'm in the same boat as you in believing JB will hopefully be able to identify that. 

All I was saying is that we don't put prospects above others simply based on their ability to play now. 

19 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What moves. Signing an old top end goal tender that made us look better then we were and hurt our draft position.  Trade picks for other peoples left overs. Sign LE. Trading for Guddy. Benning and company do one thing well. Draft.

When their not at the draft table they struggle.

Chill, 

They haven’t gotten everything right.  The drafting has been fantastic. Some FA moves will look better when we have depth. I look at the Kesler trade as the beginning. JB didn’t even try to keep him.  Kesler, Bo and Hank would have been a pretty deep center ice to make a comeback around. 

I thinl that rebuilding isn’t an exact science and more luck than anything.  The Canucks were lucky to have Pettersson and Boeser available to pick, unlucky not to have picked up Pasternak instead of McCann. But since that year, they have made some solid picks. Guys that could the players we cheer for by this year.  Clearly scouting is a team strength moving forward, development has been improving.  What’s to say the other areas won’t also improve. 

Guys like Sutter and Guddy will look better with better support.  Our amount of young entrylevel players entering the system this year in either the minors or the NHL is fairly high. 

OJ, 

Pettersson

Dahlen

Godjovich

Lind

Gaudette

among others. If Trymakin comes

back next year, one or to picks make it from this year and we are looking really good as a rebuilding team by as late as two years from now, but could be as early as the end of this season. 

This from Iain McIntyre's article today: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-benning-looking-improve-impressive-draft-resume/

Like every GM, Benning said he’ll take the best player available at No. 7. Unlike some, he probably means it. ............

“The last couple of years, we’ve been one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league,” he said. “So we need help with skill and scoring up front, same as we do on defence. I think we just take the best player. And if it’s a defenceman, great. But if it’s a forward that we feel is the best player, we’re going to take the best player, then try to improve the defence in other avenues.

So its not guaranteed a D. If Tkachuk falls and he's the top rated guy available on their list, then they won't pass for defense. Or so he says. There is still a great chance we end up with a D. But this certainly makes things a bit more interesting. 

This means nothing really but I will share anyway.   Someone I share notes with about NHL prospects (a nobody in that he isn't a Bob McKenzie or similar....but is a scout) thinks the two players in the upper part of this draft that have the largest potential to never meet their potential at NHL level are Boqvist and Bouchard.   When pushed, reasons were largely around historic translation of similar players (in his mind).   

This hasn't swayed my own personal top 10 but I have a feeling at least one of those two players will be sitting there at No. 7 (and more than likely both if Montreal really does take K).   I get the impression this opinion isn't widely held - wonder what Canucks think?   

Further, for what it is worth, I have done a few different scenarios now looking at what each team/wants needs and come to the conclusion that IF Montreal takes K and IF Ottawa keeps their pick, Zadina has at least a 50-50 shot at being there for Vancouver and likely higher probability.   If Zadina is not, BT will be I think.   I know Canucks need D but I think it would be hard to pass on one of these two at number 7.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This means nothing really but I will share anyway.   Someone I share notes with about NHL prospects (a nobody in that he isn't a Bob McKenzie or similar....but is a scout) thinks the two players in the upper part of this draft that have the largest potential to never meet their potential at NHL level are Boqvist and Bouchard.   When pushed, reasons were largely around historic translation of similar players (in his mind).   

This hasn't swayed my own personal top 10 but I have a feeling at least one of those two players will be sitting there at No. 7 (and more than likely both if Montreal really does take K).   I get the impression this opinion isn't widely held - wonder what Canucks think?   

Further, for what it is worth, I have done a few different scenarios now looking at what each team/wants needs and come to the conclusion that IF Montreal takes K and IF Ottawa keeps their pick, Zadina has at least a 50-50 shot at being there for Vancouver and likely higher probability.   If Zadina is not, BT will be I think.   I know Canucks need D but I think it would be hard to pass on one of these two at number 7.

There is chatter that says that Ottawa would be crazy not to pass 4OA to Colorado based on what the public expects their performance to be next year (dead last or close to it).  It would be tragic if Colorado got their pick for next year and it turned out to be 1OA and they missed out on Jack Hughes.

Of course this is just chatter and only Ottawa insiders know the likelihood of re-signing Karlsson.

Do you have any intel on who Colorado might want if they got the 4OA?

Some interesting things here. 

Zadina and Svechnikov being invited by MTL to a reception. Where's Kot?

Also, the tidbit about the possibility of Bouchard and Boqvist being busts. Grain of salt, but I think Boqvist is a bit risky. He could be great in Sweden, and then fail or realize it's a lot more physical in the NHL. Reminds me of Philip Larsen or Anton Rodin. Really skilled Swedish players, but struggled to be NHLers. Could that be Boqvist too? Bouchard could turn out okay, I think he'll be a steady D for years, maybe similar to Dion Phaneuf. Not the fastest guy, but he's solid and has a good shot from the point. 

And then the comment from Benning saying they will take the BPA, and they need scoring up front (as well as D). This makes me think they're targeting another forward to help with scoring. I wouldn't be surprised if Wahlstrom is high on their list. Smart, confident kid who scores a lot of goals. Does he really have an attitude? I haven't watched interviews etc.  Then they go after the Ds.

To add, Wahlstrom would make some sense. The guy could potentially score 40+ goals, and then there's Boeser! That will no doubt improve the Canucks scoring. As for D, Benning can draft some good D later on, or make a trade. 

Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Pettersson - Wahlstrom

Archived