The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

57 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This means nothing really but I will share anyway.   Someone I share notes with about NHL prospects (a nobody in that he isn't a Bob McKenzie or similar....but is a scout) thinks the two players in the upper part of this draft that have the largest potential to never meet their potential at NHL level are Boqvist and Bouchard.   When pushed, reasons were largely around historic translation of similar players (in his mind).   

This hasn't swayed my own personal top 10 but I have a feeling at least one of those two players will be sitting there at No. 7 (and more than likely both if Montreal really does take K).   I get the impression this opinion isn't widely held - wonder what Canucks think?   

Further, for what it is worth, I have done a few different scenarios now looking at what each team/wants needs and come to the conclusion that IF Montreal takes K and IF Ottawa keeps their pick, Zadina has at least a 50-50 shot at being there for Vancouver and likely higher probability.   If Zadina is not, BT will be I think.   I know Canucks need D but I think it would be hard to pass on one of these two at number 7.

I personally hope this is what happens. I want Tkachuk or Zadina or Dobson...high on a couple others...low on the small guys on D (due to my ptsd as a canuck fan).

48 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There is chatter that says that Ottawa would be crazy not to pass 4OA to Colorado based on what the public expects their performance to be next year (dead last or close to it).  It would be tragic if Colorado got their pick for next year and it turned out to be 1OA and they missed out on Jack Hughes.

Of course this is just chatter and only Ottawa insiders know the likelihood of re-signing Karlsson.

Do you have any intel on who Colorado might want if they got the 4OA?

Today in the media they were saying Ottawa intends to pick this year!!??

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

There is chatter that says that Ottawa would be crazy not to pass 4OA to Colorado based on what the public expects their performance to be next year (dead last or close to it).  It would be tragic if Colorado got their pick for next year and it turned out to be 1OA and they missed out on Jack Hughes.

Of course this is just chatter and only Ottawa insiders know the likelihood of re-signing Karlsson.

Do you have any intel on who Colorado might want if they got the 4OA?

Have read the exact same and my thoughts on that are that Ottawa may very well finish bottom 3 in the league but also that much like us, they could end up drafting 4th through 7th anyways.

Also at the 4 spot I think after the Duchene trade with what they picked up in prospects are smart to take a D man in the mold of Hughes/Dobson/Boqvist as it would allow them to trade Barrie in a season or two for premium return and defence seems to be their most pressing need

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Today in the media they were saying Ottawa intends to pick this year!!??

Apparently, they can wait until it is their turn to make the pick before declaring whether they will pass the pick.  If they can sign Karlsson, I would think they'd keep it.  Since Hoffman was moved, they have a much better chance.

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some interesting things here. 

Zadina and Svechnikov being invited by MTL to a reception. Where's Kot?

Also, the tidbit about the possibility of Bouchard and Boqvist being busts. Grain of salt, but I think Boqvist is a bit risky. He could be great in Sweden, and then fail or realize it's a lot more physical in the NHL. Reminds me of Philip Larsen or Anton Rodin. Really skilled Swedish players, but struggled to be NHLers. Could that be Boqvist too? Bouchard could turn out okay, I think he'll be a steady D for years, maybe similar to Dion Phaneuf. Not the fastest guy, but he's solid and has a good shot from the point. 

And then the comment from Benning saying they will take the BPA, and they need scoring up front (as well as D). This makes me think they're targeting another forward to help with scoring. I wouldn't be surprised if Wahlstrom is high on their list. Smart, confident kid who scores a lot of goals. Does he really have an attitude? I haven't watched interviews etc.  Then they go after the Ds.

Larsen and rodin were never apart of the top ten discussion.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Have read the exact same and my thoughts on that are that Ottawa may very well finish bottom 3 in the league but also that much like us, they could end up drafting 4th through 7th anyways.

Also at the 4 spot I think after the Duchene trade with what they picked up in prospects are smart to take a D man in the mold of Hughes/Dobson/Boqvist as it would allow them to trade Barrie in a season or two for premium return and defence seems to be their most pressing need

Big turnaround in Colorado.  It's amazing what a little stability and certainty can do for a team.  Before last season, I was certain that Sakic was on his way out.  Now, it looks like the club is on the rise big time.  I hope that F Aquilini is making notes.

21 minutes ago, Isam said:

In their drafts so bad comparable.^

That`s true, I never considered where they were drafted. Boqvist has an extra year basically to develop, seeing as he's younger.  He could very well become a very good NHLer, but there is some uncertainty if his game can translate.   

I think what we learn from Buttons latest draft is really that it is possible that Hughes, Dobson, Boquist and Bouchard will all get drafted very near to our pick.  Or at least a couple of them will be available when we pick.  

As I am of the thought that we need this pick to be a top RHD I find it comforting that we seem to have three in our draft window.  

I fall into the 'don't want Hughes' camp as i see him as a high risk player on the ice and he is a LHD.  But seems he is the least likely to be there for us anyway.  

13 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I think what we learn from Buttons latest draft is really that it is possible that Hughes, Dobson, Boquist and Bouchard will all get drafted very near to our pick.  Or at least a couple of them will be available when we pick.  

As I am of the thought that we need this pick to be a top RHD I find it comforting that we seem to have three in our draft window.  

I fall into the 'don't want Hughes' camp as i see him as a high risk player on the ice and he is a LHD.  But seems he is the least likely to be there for us anyway.  

I don't know about that, but you could argue that

Edler Stecher

Juolevi Tanev

Hughes Gudbranson

Wouldn't look so bad, and each pairing has synergies that make the pairing better than the parts its made of.

And there is this, we are looking for 6 stable guys and 2 fringers to fill in when the time comes.  Then build out from there.  And there is still the possibility of Tryamkin coming.  Plus I didn't mention Del Zotto, Hutton, or Biega.  We have trade chips, and the ability to deal from surplus, even if it isn't high quality.

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

How would everyone feel if we traded Tanev for the 25th overall pick and took Nils Lundqvist?

One of the guys I’m hoping makes it to 37 but that’s unlikely so I’d be happy with it. Still think Tanev is worth a little more than just the 25th pick.

13 minutes ago, R3aL said:

How would everyone feel if we traded Tanev for the 25th overall pick and took Nils Lundqvist?

Would rather take a defenseman like Rasmus Sandin and Bode Wilde, or forwards like Serron Noel (could be a major faller), Dominic Bokk, Martin Kaut, or even Filip Hallander before him.

7 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Would rather take a defenseman like Rasmus Sandin and Bode Wilde, or forwards like Serron Noel (could be a major faller), Dominic Bokk, Martin Kaut, or even Filip Hallander before him.

For me it’s Miller, Bokk, Kravtsov, Kaut or Berggren. I’d roll the dice on targeting Lundkvist at 37 because I do like those other players more. So pretty much I trade for the pick lol. 

45 minutes ago, Solinar said:

I don't know about that, but you could argue that

Edler Stecher

Juolevi Tanev

Hughes Gudbranson

Wouldn't look so bad, and each pairing has synergies that make the pairing better than the parts its made of.

And there is this, we are looking for 6 stable guys and 2 fringers to fill in when the time comes.  Then build out from there.  And there is still the possibility of Tryamkin coming.  Plus I didn't mention Del Zotto, Hutton, or Biega.  We have trade chips, and the ability to deal from surplus, even if it isn't high quality.

I just think the future left side looks pretty good already.  

Juolevi

tryamkin

brisebois

while the future right side looks like

blank

blank

chatfield

And when has a high risk offensive defender ever actually gotten ice time with the Canucks anyway? 

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Big turnaround in Colorado.  It's amazing what a little stability and certainty can do for a team.  Before last season, I was certain that Sakic was on his way out.  Now, it looks like the club is on the rise big time.  I hope that F Aquilini is making notes.

I think getting the extra puck moving D, Samuel Girard was as much a part of the equation as anything.

And extra, predominantly, offensive reps going to MacKinnon in liu of Duchesne.

Archived