The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank God we didn’t trade Tanev.  He’s the perfect partner for Hughes.  Tanev is going nowhere, until Jet Woo is ready to take his place.

True but Hughes might mot ready for two years and Tanev will need to be re-signed and he might not stay. I'd still trade Tanev if we could get another first rounder next draft, after watching NYI clean up I'm sold on taking that risk next year, and lots of capable guys slipped to the mid twenties too.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

lol, since you're putting the bar up there why not just make it multiple cups?  Because you're sticking to your constructed narrative no matter what, but why can't you answer the question?

Guess we better sign Reaves and some other face-punchers because Lucic is going to run Hughes over, plaster him into the boards, and beat him up.  As if he could ever catch him.

:picard:

Answer the question of how many concussions those other players have had? im not sure i dont follow those teams. but none of those players have hoisted a cup either.. Krug disappeared in the playoffs apparently also.

imo Chia goofed and should have taken Dobson.  They're running around trying to figure out how to find players to play with McDavid, talking openly about wanting to get faster, then pass up a very mobile all-round dman with size who could do just that.

they got the best passing defenseman in the draft. The puck moves faster than the player and they have speed with McDavid , he will be on the other end of those best passes. You just cant give the kid his due can you?

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

True but Hughes might it be ready and Tanev will need to be re-signed and he might not stay. I'd still trade Tanev if we could get another first rounder next draft, after watching NYI clean up I'm sold on taking that risk next year, and lots of capable guys slipped to the mid twenties too.

I dont think Tanev brings a first rounder. hes the best D we have currently but on a last place team. we have him overvalued a bit i think.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

True but Hughes might mot ready for two years and Tanev will need to be re-signed and he might not stay. I'd still trade Tanev if we could get another first rounder next draft, after watching NYI clean up I'm sold on taking that risk next year, and lots of capable guys slipped to the mid twenties too.

Maybe Tanev is worth his most at the 2019 TDL?  I’d like an extra first too, especially since the draft is here:)

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

do we know if next years draft is as deep as this years, past the other Hughes kid?

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

they got the best passing defenseman in the draft. The puck moves faster than the player and they have speed with McDavid , he will be on the other end of those best passes. You just cant give the kid his due can you?

Bouchard is a weak skater.  He’s been playing against boys in the OHL.  There are no boys in the NHL, and certainly way better skaters than he’s used to.  I’m not very confident Bouchard skates well enough to be more than a bottom pair guy. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

imo Chia goofed and should have taken Dobson.  They're running around trying to figure out how to find players to play with McDavid, talking openly about wanting to get faster, then pass up a very mobile all-round dman with size who could do just that.

I think they went with the guy with more upside personally and one that is NHL ready, an ox of a guy that won't get injured and will send McDavid flying on a regular basis, plus their PP will amp up more with Bouchard than Dobson too.  Bouchard did it all with two capable but unspectacular guys and a bunch of regulars, Dobson was on a loaded team.   Bouchard is better at everything but skating, and even that wasn't bad, just not elite (ranked the same as Woo which is correct, he's a good skater, but not fast).  

Just now, Alflives said:

Bouchard is a weak skater.  He’s been playing against boys in the OHL.  There are no boys in the NHL, and certainly way better skaters than he’s used to.  I’m not very confident Bouchard skates well enough to be more than a bottom pair guy. 

I guess we will have to wait and see. Cheers,

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Great, so the puck goes up to McDavid... and he's on his own as usual.  I'm not saying Bouchard is a bad pick or prospect, but that he doesn't fit what Edmonton is allegedly trying to build.  They were very verbal about trying to get faster, yet Chia passes on Dobson.  As Frank Costanza said to Steinbrenner...

2ctim6.jpg

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Where are you getting this information?  Skating isn't everything if it was Raymond and Hedican would be right up there with Bure as the best Canucks ever.  Bouchard is not a bad skater, he's not an average skater, he's scouted as good but not exceptional (Dobson) or elite (Hughes).  3.5 was his ranking, same as Woo so does that make him and almost every other defenseman except for a half dozen who ranked 4 and above third pairing guys automatically? He's at the same level as Carlson and Petriangelo... so are they also bad skaters?

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Great, so the puck goes up to McDavid... and he's on his own as usual.  I'm not saying Bouchard is a bad pick or prospect, but that he doesn't fit what Edmonton is allegedly trying to build.  They were very verbal about trying to get faster, yet Chia passes on Dobson.  As Frank Costanza said to Steinbrenner...

2ctim6.jpg

the puck will move up to Mcdavid, Draisitl, Nugent Hopkins etc. the shot will be from the point better than what they have had previously. Again you may not like my opinion on him but Bouchard is going to be a player. His skating isnt what Hughes is but he gets around just fine and will be a good offensive defenseman. He wont be Paul Coffey but he will be able to put up significant points passing to the players mentioned above and shooting from the point.

You obviously think Dobson will be a better player and I cant argue that he wont be good also. I just think the Coliers got better yesterday and will benefit from the kids skill set.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think they went with the guy with more upside personally and one that is NHL ready, an ox of a guy that won't get injured and will send McDavid flying on a regular basis, plus their PP will amp up more with Bouchard than Dobson too.  Bouchard did it all with two capable but unspectacular guys and a bunch of regulars, Dobson was on a loaded team.   Bouchard is better at everything but skating, and even that wasn't bad, just not elite (ranked the same as Woo which is correct, he's a good skater, but not fast).  

Jet Woo is a far better skater than both Bouchard and Dobson.  Whomever did those rankings didn’t consider quickness.  Woo has very quick feet.  He’s got an elite ceiling for skating.  He can build on a natural platform.  Dobson and Bouchard will always have slow feet.  

Jet Woo will develop into a more effective D man than both Dobson and Bouchard.  Hughes is in another stratosphere.  

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think they went with the guy with more upside personally and one that is NHL ready, an ox of a guy that won't get injured and will send McDavid flying on a regular basis

As mentioned above, the problem was that McDavid would go flying up the ice with the puck, cross the blue line then... oh, no other Oilers around, they're lumbering up the ice trying to catch up.  RNH was apparently the only guy that could effectively play with him.  Either they find the type of players that can -- north-sound speedsters like Grabner, for example -- or they get him to change his style.  "The bomb to McDavid" isn't exactly the best consistent plan of attack, as we saw last year.

As mentioned above, the problem was that McDavid would go flying up the ice with the puck, cross the blue line then... oh, no other Oilers around, they're lumbering up the ice trying to catch up.  RNH was apparently the only guy that could effectively play with him.  Either they find the type of players that can -- north-sound speedsters like Grabner, for example -- or they get him to change his style.  "The bomb to McDavid" isn't exactly the best consistent plan of attack, as we saw last year.

this i agree with however their power play just got better.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jet Woo is a far better skater than both Bouchard and Dobson.  Whomever did those rankings didn’t consider quickness.  Woo has very quick feet.  He’s got an elite ceiling for skating.  He can build on a natural platform.  Dobson and Bouchard will always have slow feet.  

Jet Woo will develop into a more effective D man than both Dobson and Bouchard.  Hughes is in another stratosphere.  

No offense Alf, but what team are you currently scouting for?

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How many times has Ryan Ellis been knocked unconscious?  How about Jared Spurgeon?  Torey Krug?  Hughes is the same size as these guys and more mobile. 

This incessant worrying over prospects' size has to stop, and should simply by looking around the league.  The are PLENTY of smaller dmen and forwards the size of or even smaller than our prospects that are or near NHL-ready.

Ellis was injured and missed a large part of the playoffs, Krugs built like a tank but also missed time late in the year but has proven very durable.  Id worry more about him being paired with Tanev and losing his partner for half the year though.  It's a valid concern, but I agree we shouldn't worry about, at least not now.  Some players are just more durable than others, big guys too just look at Guddy.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

the puck will move up to Mcdavid, Draisitl, Nugent Hopkins etc. the shot will be from the point better than what they have had previously. Again you may not like my opinion on him but Bouchard is going to be a player. His skating isnt what Hughes is but he gets around just fine and will be a good offensive defenseman. He wont be Paul Coffey but he will be able to put up significant points passing to the players mentioned above and shooting from the point.

You obviously think Dobson will be a better player and I cant argue that he wont be good also. I just think the Coliers got better yesterday and will benefit from the kids skill set.

You're wrong on both counts and not listening to what I'm saying.  I'm talking about a better fit.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

No offense Alf, but what team are you currently scouting for?

It’s simple.  Just watch the players’ feet as they turn, or accelerate.  Woo has quick feet.  Bouchard (especially) and Dobson don’t.  

My point is Woo, because of his natural muscle fibre can really improve on his first step.  The other two can’t.  

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

You're wrong on both counts and not listening to what I'm saying.  I'm talking about a better fit.

You havent proved I am wrong on anything. we will see who is correct in about 4 months time. I disagree with you on the better fit. The oilers needed a shot from the point a better passer and a player that can play now.

They are better today than they were last week If you cant see that we have nothing more to talk about.You offer one opinion and when others dont agree you say we arent listening.

I am hearing what you are saying just not agreeing there is a difference.

Archived