The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s simple.  Just watch the players’ feet as they turn, or accelerate.  Woo has quick feet.  Bouchard (especially) and Dobson don’t.  

My point is Woo, because of his natural muscle fibre can really improve on his first step.  The other two can’t.  

and the muscle fibre testing that was done at the combine?you have that information? I usually agree with you here but this one i think you are off base. All players can improve their skating. I think he will fit fine on a team that wants him to pass the puck and shoot from the point on their power play.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jet Woo is a far better skater than both Bouchard and Dobson.  Whomever did those rankings didn’t consider quickness.  Woo has very quick feet.  He’s got an elite ceiling for skating.  He can build on a natural platform.  Dobson and Bouchard will always have slow feet.  

Jet Woo will develop into a more effective D man than both Dobson and Bouchard.  Hughes is in another stratosphere.  

Your the ultimate fan!  Ignoring or not seeking the information that is available to you ( no Woo is NOT a faster or a better skater then one of the best in the draft in Dobson, and Bouchard skates as good or better than anyone in the draft backwards which is an important attribute, and was ranked on par with Woo's skating which is good but not elite.) for starters google Craig Buttons ranking system based on actual scouts.  If you don't like that try International Scouting Services, or if you prefer THN, or Bob Mckenzie or NHL official rankings.  I love how much your into our new players though.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

and the muscle fibre testing that was done at the combine?you have that information? I usually agree with you here but this one i think you are off base. All players can improve their skating. I think he will fit fine on a team that wants him to pass the puck and shoot from the point on their power play.

Of course all players can improve their skating.  Guys with fast feet will be able to reach a much higher ceiling (for quickness) than guys with slow feet.  Woo has very quick feet.  Bouchard is actually very slow footed, and Dobson isn’t much better.  If either of these two had quick feet they would have been drafted higher.  Woo fell into round two because of an injury riddled season, and he’s defensive minded.  Woo is the perfect partner for Hughes.  Our top pair, when they are mature, is set for a decade.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s simple.  Just watch the players’ feet as they turn, or accelerate.  Woo has quick feet.  Bouchard (especially) and Dobson don’t.  

My point is Woo, because of his natural muscle fibre can really improve on his first step.  The other two can’t.  

Paul Coffeys feet barely moved and he was probably the most beautiful and fast skater ever.  Sprinting off your tips doesn't mean your quicker, it just means you use a lot of energy to explode out (wasted compared to Coffeys and Scott Neidermayers stride).  These kids are 18, of course they can change their muscle fibres and add more fast twitch muscles. I did at that age and so did my brother.

Just now, Alflives said:

Of course all players can improve their skating.  Guys with fast feet will be able to reach a much higher ceiling (for quickness) than guys with slow feet.  Woo has very quick feet.  Bouchard is actually very slow footed, and Dobson isn’t much better.  If either of these two had quick feet they would have been drafted higher.  Woo fell into round two because of an injury riddled season, and he’s defensive minded.  Woo is the perfect partner for Hughes.  Our top pair, when they are mature, is set for a decade.

I dont agree that our top pair is set as of yet I believe these two kids have a lot to prove but I am cautiously excited to see what they can do. I was happy to see them draft woo at 37. He fell into our laps and I believe he will develop into a good D man, maybe not top pairing material but a good d man. I also believe the other two we have been discussing will be good D men as well. They will be used for their skill sets and Bouchard will not be asked to provide many Coffey like rushes up the ice. He will be asked to get the puck up to the fast forwards and he will shoot from the point on the power play.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The ironic thing is that that we have a legit puck mover and PP quarterback in Hughes, what we really need to complete our D core is a big, minute muncher with a canon like Bouchard. 

Oh well. There's always next year/trades/free agency.

if there is a great D next year lets take him as well. I hope we get the chance to draft the other Hughes brother but im sure we will add another good player. We have drafted well the last two drafts.

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As mentioned above, the problem was that McDavid would go flying up the ice with the puck, cross the blue line then... oh, no other Oilers around, they're lumbering up the ice trying to catch up.  RNH was apparently the only guy that could effectively play with him.  Either they find the type of players that can -- north-sound speedsters like Grabner, for example -- or they get him to change his style.  "The bomb to McDavid" isn't exactly the best consistent plan of attack, as we saw last year.

Watching McDavid fly up the ice showed he also lacks the super star passing ability. If he had to pass through people it never made it. He has great vision when the player is right with him, so yes he needs faster players, And since we are talking McDavid I laughed when the media said the OIlers cost McDavid the mvp. McDavid didn't start scoring and getting points until the games didn't matter. He has to learn to get points when the games matter.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

if there is a great D next year lets take him as well. I hope we get the chance to draft the other Hughes brother but im sure we will add another good player. We have drafted well the last two drafts.

With this, I 100% agree. :towel:

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The ironic thing is that that we have a legit puck mover and PP quarterback in Hughes, what we really need to complete our D core is a big, minute muncher with a canon like Bouchard. 

Oh well. There's always next year/trades/free agency.

Let's hope he can just make accurate tip in shots and get it to the holes where Boeser and Pettersson get to.   Keith doesn't get a lot of goals but ran a pretty good PP for a long time, and is an exceptional skater.  Brian Campbell wasn't too shabby either and Hughes will probably play around the same size.  We should be fine, OJ is in the mix too...

It's funny how much things change after the draft and we see where players go.

Dobson went from the best skater among the top 5 defenseman to having question marks.

Bouchard went from a perfect powerplay defenseman and very good offensive defenseman (Edmonton's greatest need) to someone who won't help Edmonton's offense. 

Hughes went from a dynamic offensive defenseman who'll get abused by bigger players defensively with questionable character after skipping the combine to untouchable on the ice and a potential leader in the future. 

It's almost like people only hear what they want to hear and only believe what they want to believe. All of this was discussed at length before the draft and then there was a paradigm shift after Friday. 

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bouchard is a weak skater.  He’s been playing against boys in the OHL.  There are no boys in the NHL, and certainly way better skaters than he’s used to.  I’m not very confident Bouchard skates well enough to be more than a bottom pair guy. 

I think your dead wrong on this one. Bouchards a player for sure. 

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Dobson went from the best skater among the top 5 defenseman to having question marks.

Bouchard went from a perfect powerplay defenseman and very good offensive defenseman (Edmonton's greatest need) to someone who won't help Edmonton's offense. 

Hughes went from a dynamic offensive defenseman who'll get abused by bigger players defensively with questionable character after skipping the combine to untouchable on the ice and a potential leader in the future. 

It's almost like people only hear what they want to hear and only believe what they want to believe. All of this was discussed at length before the draft and then there was a paradigm shift after Friday. 

Pretty sure Hughes was always considered the best skater of all available Dmen, if not the best skater of the entire draft. 

Also, if you scan this thread, it's pretty obvious that Bouchard was among the most polarizing players discussed. 

19 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Well said. We have Hughes and I am excited now. I do not see why hockey fans feel the need to constantly disparage other teams prospects a couple days after the draft because they are not Canuck prospects. Very strange. What causes a person to do that? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Bouchard will be a bottom pair D man.  

That's not giving a whole lot of respect towards the player. Hughes is obviously a more dynamic player than Bouchard, but Bouchard is a workhorse that can do it all, including play literally 25-30 minutes a night. Now that we have a true puck mover in Hughes, a guy like Bouchard is exactly what we need to complete our D core. 

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well said. We have Hughes and I am excited now. I do not see why hockey fans feel the need to constantly disparage other teams prospects a couple days after the draft because they are not Canuck prospects. Very strange. What causes a person to do that? 

No one is disparaging the other guys.  Just stating opinions.  Hughes is a great skater.  Woo is a very good skater.  Bouchard and Dobson have slow feet.  I’m very glad we got our two new guys.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Pretty sure Hughes was always considered the best skater of all available Dmen, if not the best skater of the entire draft. 

Also, if you scan this thread, it's pretty obvious that Bouchard was among the most polarizing players discussed. 

I was the most vocal supporter of Hughes all year and I had him at 4th on my list. I know that his skating is elite, I'm saying the consensus on the board went from an very good offensive player who'll get beat up defensively (Krug, Ghostisbehere type) to a more dynamic Kieth with leadership potential. The bias is real and powerful. 

Bouchard was generally regarded very smart offensive defenseman and a great PP QB but now the consensus seems to be that he'll struggle to put up points with McDavid and Draisaitl. I guarantee you he would be talked about as the next Carlson/Pietrangelo if he was drafted by the Canucks and Hughes would still be too small to ever play effective defense. 

There are so many people who didn't follow the draft at all who now know the future impact players will have.

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was the most vocal supporter of Hughes all year and I had him at 4th on my list. I know that his skating is elite, I'm saying the consensus on the board went from an very good offensive player who'll get beat up defensively (Krug, Ghostisbehere type) to a more dynamic Kieth with leadership potential. The bias is real and powerful. 

Bouchard was generally regarded very smart offensive defenseman and a great PP QB but now the consensus seems to be that he'll struggle to put up points with McDavid and Draisaitl. I guarantee you he would be talked about as the next Carlson/Pietrangelo if he was drafted by the Canucks and Hughes would still be too small to ever play effective defense. 

There are so many people who didn't follow the draft at all who now know the future impact players will have.

I'm not saying their isn't a paradigm shift. Just that it's not as dramatic as you're implying.

Archived